Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cheap Modifications for 1995 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Modifications for 1995 Civic

I have a D-Series Honda Civic with a vtec.

I don't have a lot of money (I can't afford turbo and all those expensive modifications), But I would like to enhance my civic...

What are some cheap modifications that I could do? I'm sure there has to be some..
Old 10-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cheap Modifications for 1995 Civic (cinematic_civic)

intake/header/ehxaust. there are your basic bolt ons..
Old 10-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no point in putting NA modifications on a D series...especially one you dont plan to tune. I say save your money for something better in the long run
Old 10-22-2008, 08:21 AM

go to college
Old 10-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There's no point in putting NA modifications on a D series...especially one you dont plan to tune. I say save your money for something better in the long run</TD></TR></TABLE>

I concur... (not that I am anyone special )
N/A D series is very expensive and your basic I/H/E will make your car loud but not net you much as far as performance goes.

Save your $$$ and get it boosted / tuned or save up for a swap or a diff car.
N/A in a D series is not impossible but N/A Period is hella expensive.

I'm running an N/A B16 and I'm already $7K into it with just I/H/E, torque mounts, suspension, brakes, clutch, flywheel, + rubber.... I haven't even gotten to the expensive stuff (cams, spark, inject, or tuning) .
Old 10-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im with the above, just save and swap a b series or build and boost your d. You will be happy you did that in the long run.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (toolfan020)

Save your money and keep up the maintenance.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:53 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FV-QR

When you don't have a lot of money, and you decide you REALLY want to modify your car ....

Your car ends up here:

http://laughatrice.com/phpBB3/gallery2.php
http://www.ricecop.com/
Old 10-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im now on funds, but a good alternative way to buy parts is through your friends, i got my tein basics for 335 :D
Old 10-22-2008, 09:42 AM

As I said "enhance" not go fast. Obviously you people don't understand that! Its nice to know there actually ISN'T a car forum where people AREN'T rude.

I never planned on "ricing" out my car. I like that its dead silent, has no *spoiler* and gets 30+ mpg. I just wanted to know if there was anything I could do for my d-series motor to make it better. Its at 200,000+ miles so I'm pretty sure eventually when the motor blows, I'll have to get a new motor and that will be a b18 with a T04E.

I'm not dumb, I'm not racing my car against a GSR, I'm just racing against the economy right now.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go cheap or go home.

it's all up to you man. do whatever you want, it's your car.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:54 AM

Default Re: (sintype)

Yep, its go cheap or go home right now!

oh and its not "man" its ma'am
Old 10-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry, ma'm.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My apologies, I was under the impression that you wanted to make the car slightly quicker when you said enhance. If you want to save $$$. Keep on schedule with your suggested maintenance. I would suggest getting a K&N air filter (a drop in raplcement) if you do not have one yet. They are cheap, provide good airflow through the stock airbox (better mpg), and since they are reusable they pay for themselves vs the regular paper ones. Keep your car rust free and well maintained and you'll get load smore use out of it. My last civic (96' CX) made it to 400,000 kms before I sold it.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (cinematic_civic)

The problem is that your initial post is completely vague and you offered up little to no information to begin with.

First of all it helps to include year/make/model of your car. "1995 with VTEC" doesn't tell us everything. It could be a 2 door EX or 4 door Ex, 3 door Si hatch, or a 3 door VX with the crapbox economy boat anchor D15Z engine in it. Big difference.

If you've got a D16Z6 the suggestions will be far different than if you've got the D15Z1 engine. Help us help you.

Secondly define "cheap."

Thirdly(?) define "enhance" since obviously you didn't mean "make more power."

If you want better mog just say so.

Ask:

"What can I do to get better fuel economy?"

Not:

"How do I enhance my Civic?"

I'll be the first to welcome a new member to this MB, but I'm not going to e0hump and be nice because you're a woman, and I'm going to tell you that if you want help you need to be more specific.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:06 AM

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

Doesn't matter. There was no need for "Laugh at Ricer" posts and "Go to College" posts. Enhance means ENHANCE make better. Nowhere does it say Enhance means "go fast! go faster!".

And what does me being a girl have to do with anything? I never said it the beginning, i just said it at the end jokingly. You should give the same answer for a guy or girl.

And cheap means, I'm not going out to spend (as a previous poster said) $7k.

BTW I figured D-Series was enough.. Its a Honda Civic EX D16Z6 w/ vtec
Old 10-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well being that your from around my part of town (Columbus Area) I'll go easy on ya. To be honest if your not looking to go faster then I'd stay with the engine you got now an just save. I mean hell your already getting 30+ MPG's so enjoy. You could always throw on a tranny from a DX/CX engine which would make your gears longer thus making better MPG's in theory. (Dont quote me just a thought) But if your looking for something to tinker with in the mean time you can always upgrade your brakes if you have drums in the back to rear disks. You could also get a new suspension since that one you have now is probably shot seeing that its got 200K+ miles on it.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tint your windows and lower it if not already and and how much aprox are we talking bout here both above a fairly cheap (just dont go the cheapest possible on them get good stuff)
Old 10-22-2008, 11:16 AM

Default Re: (96 EX)

Thank you! Those are great suggestions! I was actually wondering if it'd be worth it to upgrade my suspension and I've kinda looked into doing a rear disc conversion because the kits seem relatively cheap.

Is there any gains from switching to rear disc brakes?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Okay my last attempt at salvaging an effort to try and help:

What exactly are you trying to enhance?

Handling?

Acceleration?

Braking?

Looks?

<FONT SIZE="7"><FONT COLOR="red">BUDGET?!?!</FONT></FONT>

You're still being vague. I give you as vague of an answer as you are a description then it would be:

"You should modify your car."

also you being a woman has zero influance on how I reply - i'm just telling you this up front, because most of the guys here will e-hump your leg and spiral off topic half the time, and I'm not going to do that. I'll treat you the same and try to help just the same whether you are a man, woman, or tranny.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:22 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cinematic_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Doesn't matter. There was no need for "Laugh at Ricer" posts and "Go to College" posts. Enhance means ENHANCE make better. Nowhere does it say Enhance means "go fast! go faster!".

And what does me being a girl have to do with anything? I never said it the beginning, i just said it at the end jokingly. You should give the same answer for a guy or girl.

And cheap means, I'm not going out to spend (as a previous poster said) $7k.

BTW I figured D-Series was enough.. Its a Honda Civic EX D16Z6 w/ vtec</TD></TR></TABLE>
Okay, so what do you mean by "BETTER"?

Seriously, that's totally vague.

You just mean you want to improve it. But that's really vague! WHAT do you want to improve on the car? How do you want to improve it?

Do you want it to have better ride quality (handling)?

Do you want your car to be lower? How low and what kind of ride?

Do you want it to be quicker?

Do you want a nicer interior? If so, what are you looking to change and why?

Do you want a different exterior? If so, what are you looking to change and why?

Do you want better fuel economy?

As far as the "blah blah blah, girl blah blah blah", He saw you said you were a girl. He just was saying he's not going to leghump. He's saying he's willing to help, but it has nothing to do with you being a girl. A lot of girls look for attention on cars sites. A lot of guys give them attention. Sometimes more than they want and usually not the kind that *some* girls would want.

He's not being sexist in the least. He's being realistic and helpful.

I'm a girl too and I talk to him sometimes and he's never used my gender against me.

All EXes have VTEC. All D16Z6s have VTEC. Is your EX a coupe or sedan? All you had to do is say, "It's a stock '95 EX (body style)".

Some parts are body specific, just as some are engine specific.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont all 95 EX's have rear disc mine has disc rear disc
Old 10-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96 EX)

Would you mind please specifying what you are looking to do?

I am not trying to be rude, I am genuinely confused as to what you whish to enhance...fuel economy, engine performance, looks, ride quality etc.

You said you are not out to spend any money... surely you must be willing to spend a little otherwise you would not be enquiring about enhancing your car with some modifications. That being sauid, how much are you willing to spend and what is your goal.

Sorry to harp on this, it's just we're not quite certain what you want.

EDIT: SORRY I DIDN'T REALISE 4 OF US WERE POSTING THE SAME THING AT THE SAME TIME!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay my last attempt at salvaging an effort to try and help:

What exactly are you trying to enhance?

Handling?

Acceleration?

Braking?

Looks?

<FONT SIZE="7"><FONT COLOR="red">BUDGET?!?!</FONT></FONT>

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like B18C5 said, to give you an accurate and descriptive answer we need more info. Those two were just some things I was throwing out there. Your suspension will be a great upgrade if you plan on making more horsepower, cause if you've got no traction then your going no where. Also the brakes are a good upgrade just because theyre cheap and disk offer a better aftermarket support than drums(which you probably have on your car now). Once again these are my personal thoughts and are subject to flaw.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:29 AM

Default Re: (B16AGUY)

Okay - let's go here!

I have in my budget about $200 a month that go into my cars (i have a 2 car 1 motorcycle fleet).

I have a 1995 Honda Civic EX COUPE d16z6.

ENHANCE. i would like to know YOUR suggestions on ALL The categories mentioned above. Doesn't necessarily have to be to make it go faster, but maybe what you've done to yours that you have silently enjoyed (maybe disc brakes in the back are one of those)

I'm asking a vague question because I want to poke and pry to get all of YOUR suggestions. If I asked, how to enhance the handling? All I would get is handling suggestions.. now do you see what I mean?

Quick Reply: Cheap Modifications for 1995 Civic