Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

"Cheap" Gasket Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Cheap" Gasket Kits?

Just wondering what people's experiences have been with these "cheap" gasket kits that can be had for under $100 through many 'performance parts suppliers' online. They seem to made up mostly of no-name brand gaskets, but they're less than half the price of Honda gaskets, and just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with them.

I'm sure this is one area of the build I don't really want to cheap out on, but then at the same time I wonder how much difference there could be between gasket sets. And please only respond if you've actually used cheaper gasket sets or know someone personally that has, I'm looking for proof over opinion.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: "Cheap" Gasket Kits?

buy a fel pro complete gasket set and then get a HONDA head gasket and timing belt (balancer belt too if youre engine has one). and i recommend new head bolts and HONDA distriutor cap and rotor. you dont wanna be cheap here. also you shold get a complete valve job at a quality machine shop and have them replace the valve guides with new ones. hondas seem to wear easily (faster) so i dont chance nothing
Old 04-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RICKSAUTOMOTIVE
buy a fel pro complete gasket set

I was going to come in here and post that.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mcvtec

I was going to come in here and post that.

yeah i like these gaskets but when it comes to the head gasket i dont trust anything but HONDA head gaskets. its cheaper to get the fel pro complete set and the honda head gasket and you can just donate the fel pro gasket to a friend of use them to barter with a local shop if you can find one willing to trade LOL. in this shop i just trash them
Old 04-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I have read on here and in the Forced Induction forum lots of people recommending the Felpro kit. I'm building for boost and lots of the guys in that section are running pretty high boost with these kits, including the head gaskets. Has anyone had bad experiences with the Felpro head gaskets? Because I've only heard good things.

Any recommendations on where I can get a Felpro set from for a good price? I'm in Canada, so it's a bit harder to find suppliers that will ship up here. Partsource, a local chain that deals in Felpro, can get me the set for $180. Is that about as good as I'm going to do?
Old 04-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is that $180 US or canadian? for boost....fel pro might be okay. i would run a cometic multi layered steel (MLS) .040 inch thick personally for boost though. but the guys in that forced induction forum know a thing or two so i'm sure they know more on the fel pro gasket with boost. man i cant believe its almost 200 for a fel pro set. i just got one for a mitsubishi 2.0 AWD turbo car and it was 100 bucks. plus i ship to canada but you gotta get a customs broker involved and they charge a few bucks
Old 04-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RICKSAUTOMOTIVE
is that $180 US or canadian? for boost....fel pro might be okay. i would run a cometic multi layered steel (MLS) .040 inch thick personally for boost though. but the guys in that forced induction forum know a thing or two so i'm sure they know more on the fel pro gasket with boost. man i cant believe its almost 200 for a fel pro set. i just got one for a mitsubishi 2.0 AWD turbo car and it was 100 bucks. plus i ship to canada but you gotta get a customs broker involved and they charge a few bucks
That was $180 Canadian, although the dollars are basically identical right now. And that was even with an employee discount, I think list price was around $250 on the set. But I sent you a PM about maybe finding a Felpro set.