Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Charging/Battery light stays on! Help plsssss

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging/Battery light stays on! Help plsssss

My Charging light stays on <U>in the morning</U>,

There are two things thats happening:

1. The charging/battery light will stay on ONLY in the morning, as soon as the engine has warmed up(approx. 3-5 mins), the charging/battery light comes OFF. BUT NOT to the point that the radiator fan will switch on.

2. IN the first scenario(while engine is cold or while warming up), when i rev the engine to 5000 and up, the battery light will come OFF, when i took off my foot from pedal, off-course the revs will go down below 5000 and the charging light will light ON again. Until such a time the engine has really warmed up or upon reaching normal operating temperature.

*** In both cases, as soon as the engine has warmed up in the morning, and travel somewhere else, even for like 5-10 miles and parked the car the whole day, the charging/battery light WILL NOT come ON again.

One thing for sure, It will come ON again the next morning!!!

I have Honda Civic 1997 LX Sedan; D16Y7 Engine; Manual Transmission; Battery is new! Only 3 weeks old...

What seems to be the problem? Please help!!

Modified by djmnc14 at 7:29 PM 11/12/2006
Old 11-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you checked the belt tension, mine used to do the same thing. for some reason my belt would slip on cold mornings, I would crack the throttle one good time or two, and the light would go off, and sometimes make a squak sound. If your belt tension is good (considering you have a good belt), you may have your alt. checked. mabey the stators are wearing out. but chek the belt first.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:05 PM

Thank you very much!!! I'll try to do that tomorrow, as soon as i get home early. I'll keep you posted when there's a development or not. On the otherhand, the belts i'm using is the honda stock belts(timing, alternator & compressor)belt service was done 2 yrs ago(21,000 to 23,000 only).
This thing began when the mechanic change my compressor, you may be right, the mechanic may have NOT adjust the alternator belt when he serviced the compressor belt.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:14 PM

Default Re: (beaterbangin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beaterbangin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you checked the belt tension, mine used to do the same thing. for some reason my belt would slip on cold mornings, I would crack the throttle one good time or two, and the light would go off. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I did already adjust to tight the belt tension, BUT the charging light will still come on in the morning. Alternator check has been done through autozone and NO problem(s) found.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (djmnc14)

Autozone has misdiagnosed many a Honda alternator before. The battery light is controlled through the regulator inside of the alternator. The fact that the light goes out as rpm's increase is also another indicator of a shot alternator....or a loose belt.

This is assuming your belt is tight. When the car is cold, do you get any belt squeal at all?