Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Changing from Performance tires to Winter Rims, and Raising Civic

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing from Performance tires to Winter Rims, and Raising Civic

Hey. I have 205/40/R17 performance tires on my 97 civic si, and I need to switch to a winter tire. The tire height clearance is fine, could someone help me calculate the equivalent in a steel winter rim.

Also The car is sitting fairly low. about 5inches tops. It has KYB AGX shocks and an Eibach Sportline Spring kit. What do I have to do to raise the car? I like the ride as it is, but it has to be raised for winter. Do I need just longer springs? or springs and struts, and what about adjustable coilovers. Are those an option??

Please let me know, winter is coming soon, thanks. Brett_wellman@hotmail.com

Modified by snowboardguy4 at 1:10 PM 9/28/2005
Old 09-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changing from Performance tires to Winter Rims, and Raising Civic (snowboardguy4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snowboardguy4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey. I have 205/30/R17 performance tires on my 97 civic si, and I need to switch to a winter tire. The tire height clearance is fine, could someone help me calculate the equivalent in a steel winter rim.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just use whatever came stock, probably a 185/65/14. You can look up tire combos at the tire rack.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snowboardguy4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also The car is sitting fairly low. about 5inches tops. It has KYB AGX shocks and an Eibach Sportline Spring kit. What do I have to do to raise the car? I like the ride as it is, but it has to be raised for winter. Do I need just longer springs? or springs and struts, and what about adjustable coilovers. Are those an option??</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can't adjust the ride height with a regular spring / shock combo.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:59 AM

Also. I think the kit lowered the car too much without a camber kit. Hence why the rack and pinion needs to be replaced. But what are my options with ride height. Thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 12:36 PM

put the stock springs back in, or get a coilover sleeve set up.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:20 PM

So one person is telling me that aftermarket shocks and stock springs dont work, and another person is telling me to do it. Could someone please clarifiy the truth. and give some real options
Old 09-29-2005, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

adjustible shocks and springs... if u want to play with ride height..to your liking..but if u got stock setup put it back on.....lol but dont listen to me im in hawaii where it rarely snows
Old 09-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gapergurlie_18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gapergurlie_18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">adjustible shocks and springs... if u want to play with ride height..to your liking..but if u got stock setup put it back on.....lol but dont listen to me im in hawaii where it rarely snows </TD></TR></TABLE>

Shocks have nothing to do with ride height, period. There's no such thing as adjustable springs either. There are coilovers, which has a threaded spring perch, to raise or lower the spring to adjust ride height if that's what you mean.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:06 AM

Default Re: (AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Shocks have nothing to do with ride height, period. There's no such thing as adjustable springs either. There are coilovers, which has a threaded spring perch, to raise or lower the spring to adjust ride height if that's what you mean.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually koni yellows have an adjustable lower perch to alter ride height on the shock, no coilover sleeve needed.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snowboardguy4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So one person is telling me that aftermarket shocks and stock springs dont work, and another person is telling me to do it. Could someone please clarifiy the truth. and give some real options</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can use aftermarket shocks with stock springs. honestly if i were you, i would try to find a set of stock used shocks and springs. it will be way easier to just swap them in then having to disassemble your sportlines from your kyb's and then put your stock springs back on. also, i wouldn't really worry about the ride height for winter, its not that big of a deal unless they don't plow where you live. i went through all last winter with a 240sx on full coilovers, it was pretty tanked, but i never had a problem because i had decent snow tires. thats all you really need, a set of REAL snow tires (blizzaks, graspics, etc.), not some all season crap.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Changing from Performance tires to Winter Rims, and Raising Civic (snowboardguy4)

You can get small rubber inserts that go inbetween the coils of your springs, they will raise the height once you shove them in there. This is a very ghetto solution and I wouldn't recommend it as the best solution but it is the cheapest and easiest solution.

cheers!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changing from Performance tires to Winter Rims, and Raising Civic (old man neri)

yea i drove my civic last winter dropped about 3.5 all around, lower than your springs, i got a good set of snow tires, blizzaks or whatever and it was fine, just dont drive if there like 5 inches of snow or more on the road

on a side note*
i went thru a car wash every week and got the underbody flush to prevent salt build and rust
Old 09-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snowboardguy4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey. I have 205/40/R17 performance tires on my 97 civic si, and I need to switch to a winter tire. The tire height clearance is fine, could someone help me calculate the equivalent in a steel winter rim.

Also The car is sitting fairly low. about 5inches tops. It has KYB AGX shocks and an Eibach Sportline Spring kit. What do I have to do to raise the car? I like the ride as it is, but it has to be raised for winter. Do I need just longer springs? or springs and struts, and what about adjustable coilovers. Are those an option??

Please let me know, winter is coming soon, thanks. Brett_wellman@hotmail.com

Modified by snowboardguy4 at 1:10 PM 9/28/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you mean by this? You have 5 inches of ground clearance? Did you lower the car, or did a previous owner lower it? If you still have your oem springs and shocks, just swap those in.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Changing from Performance tires to Winter Rims, and Raising Civic (green00EX)

It was lowered by a previous owner. Unfortunately I do not have the stock suspension. The ride is great right now though, and if 4.5inches of clearance with winter tires is fine aslong as I play it safe, then that's the way I'll go.

As for as the tire sizing nobody has really answered, but I'm sure whichever shop I buy it from will be able to do that.

Thanks alot. Any other ideas are welcome.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snowboardguy4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

As for as the tire sizing nobody has really answered, but I'm sure whichever shop I buy it from will be able to do that.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just use stock tire size. i.e. open your door, look what's written in the little sticker on the door jam and go with that, or something very close to it. That's what i used and it seemed to work well last winter.

cheers!
Old 10-03-2005, 12:00 PM

What type of underbody flushing/rust protector should I use? Or are they all roughly the same.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changing from Performance tires to Winter Rims, and Raising Civic (old man neri)

ehh.. who needs clearance in the snow..

Old 10-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (snowboardguy4)

Oil spray....there are different kinds though and a lot of debate surrounding them. Some places drill holes in panels to spray oil inside, some don't. The debate revolves around which is better and if drilling holes is a bad idea. I do not have an answer to this one nor do I wish to argue any point around this. You can search around and maybe find an answer for yourself. Oil spraying is done usually once a year and can run you between 60-100 (CDN funds) or at least that's the prices I see.

There are some other types of undercoating services offered. Not to sure what they are all about.

good luck in your decision.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (old man neri)

someone PLEASE tell me that im not the only one that noticed him saying <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snowboardguy4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey. I have 205/40/R17 performance tires on my 97 civic si </TD></TR></TABLE>

NO SUCH THING!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (isumase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by isumase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">someone PLEASE tell me that im not the only one that noticed him saying

NO SUCH THING!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

aye n00b, ever heard of Canada? they made 1997 Si's in canada, they're equilant to the U.S's ex's
Old 10-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eg cookiemonster)

ok and who said anything about canada so why would i even consider that.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: (isumase)

then just think before u speak...
Old 10-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just admit u r wrong
Old 10-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eg cookiemonster)

I am glad I live in South Carolina at the beach where it never snows
Old 10-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DirtySol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DirtySol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am glad I live in South Carolina at the beach where it never snows </TD></TR></TABLE>

the snow is not all that bad.....it's the salt that is the death of all cars. grrrrrrrr
Old 10-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I drive my lowered civic in the winter 185/60 winter tires too (yes, I know its 5% off)
I just remove my front lip and throw in the winter wheels...good to go
Old 10-03-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: (DirtySol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DirtySol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am glad I live in South Carolina at the beach where it never snows </TD></TR></TABLE>

oh man, snow is a blast to drive in. so much fun to be had in one empty parking lot during a blizzard. you should come up north and try it at least once.

Quick Reply: Changing from Performance tires to Winter Rims, and Raising Civic