Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

changing brakes.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing brakes.....

Im getting a set of rotors and pads all around....for my 99 si. so im sorry this is so noobish but is there a write up anywhere on changing pads and rotors? i did search on honda-tech and many other forums and am having a hard time with it. Can someone please provide me with a link on doing this? I know, i know....search, but have you tried using the search? it sucks.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try and check the FAQ thread. I believe there is a FAQ on how to change your brake pads and what not.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:37 PM

actually its funny, just after making this thread i found something on honda-acura.net for changing front pads and rotors, im sure the rear is basically the same right?
Old 08-21-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Re: changing brakes..... (kinkyintegra)

I'm in the middle of doing my own 99 Si's rear brakes. Not too bad except for getting the pistons back in. One thing I recommend is that since the car is not new, if you have trouble getting the Phillips head screws out of the rotors, give up 25 bucks and get an impact driver. I felt like I was about to wreck the screw head with a large Phillips screwdriver so I drove out to Sears and got one. A couple of taps and it was out. After the 2 caliper bolts are out you can rock the caliper off the old rotor. One thing I observed is that I have about 1/8" of pad left on the right and metal against metal on the left side. This might be a good time to put new calipers in. For the time being I have new rotors and pads to make the car drivable. I have both rear calipers off and the pads out but can't seem to get the pistons to go back in. I tried a C clamp but it doesn't seem to be working. Do the pistons have to be rotated while compressing? Thanks!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:45 PM

thats funny because i too went to sears today to get an impact screwdriver....
Old 08-21-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Re: (kinkyintegra)

Yeah, sounds like we're having the same great time right now. I started mine when I got home from work. Not really enjoying the experience though. I wish I could get those pistons in. Did the site you were on say how to do it? Everybody I've talked to says to just use a C clamp.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:53 PM

That impact driver will come in REALLY handy. You won't use it a lot but you be glad you have it when you need it.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kramergwt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kramergwt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That impact driver will come in REALLY handy. You won't use it a lot but you be glad you have it when you need it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True story.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:38 AM

I just talked with a guy I work with about getting the pistons back in when you take the old pads out. I know it's a different car but he said his wife's Accord front pistons can be pushed in with a C clamp but the rear needs to be rotated and pushed back in. ...so the front and rear do have subtle differences. The cris-cross pattern on the face of the piston on the rear calipers are for the tool that rotates the pistons to engage with. I see that on my Civic Si rear pistons. Everything else went pretty smoothly. Now that I know this I'll try to finish it up tonight.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: changing brakes..... (kinkyintegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kinkyintegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im getting a set of rotors and pads all around....for my 99 si. so im sorry this is so noobish but is there a write up anywhere on changing pads and rotors? i did search on honda-tech and many other forums and am having a hard time with it. Can someone please provide me with a link on doing this? I know, i know....search, but have you tried using the search? it sucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the fronts are cake, and the rears will be alittle difficult, but not by much (being that this is your first time?). you can twist it in with a pair of needle nose pliers, but that will take forever and damage the piston. damn, i forgot the name of it, but it's a tool that's need to twist in the caliper piston in the rears. it's about $8 and you can pick it up at a local parts shop, just tell them what's it for.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:17 PM

It's not my first time doing brakes that have to have pistons during to make them retract, just my first time on this Civic. I know what tool you're talking about though. I bought one about 10 years ago when I was getting ready to do my Saab and found that the tool was not right for that job and I promptly lost it. I don't want to ruin the seals so I guess I'll spend some time hunting around the garage or just go buy another one. Thanks. It will be the first time I worked on brakes that I could actually use that tool on. I remember finding it when I was doing my Jetta and it was a no-go then too. Thanks for confirming the rotation part of it. That was my real question.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:59 PM

Default Re: changing brakes..... (philosofy1)

After reading the post I was motivated to go look for it and it was sitting right on the vise on my bench. To those who do not know this tool is all you need. I immediately put it on a 3 inch socket extension and tried it. Turn clockwise and the piston slowly goes in. The tool is cheap, and this is the first car of many that it actually was compatible with. It's a cube with 5 sides of different configurations that mate with a variety of piston faces. http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdbrak07.html
Thanks.