Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Changed Clutch Master Cylinder, clutch won't disengage, stumped.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changed Clutch Master Cylinder, clutch won't disengage, stumped.

Hey guys, earlier this month I changed out my old, leaking clutch master cylinder for a new one. The slave cylinder seems to be in good condition, and the clutch never slips, though its the original one that was on the engine when it came from japan. We reattached everything, and bled the thing for 45 minutes. After a few days, I started to notice a fluid leak right where the resevoir hose meets the master cylinder(once I get home from NC I'll be replacing the hose).

The leak is very slow, and I always check the resevoir to make sure it has enough fluid, but lately the clutch has been getting closer and closer to the floor, and now its at the point where I'm having to stomp on the thing 8-9 times just to get it into 1st, and after that I'm basically just clutchless shifting. The only thing I can think of is air in the clutch lines, but the leak at the master cylinder seems too insignificant to let any air into the lines.

I also have dead pedal movement, about an inch and a half of the first throw of the pedal doesn't do anything at all, and it won't spring all the way back, I have to pull it with my foot.

Do you guys think bleeding would help, or am I looking at a defective master/slave cylinder?

Modified by OMGWTFBBQ! at 2:22 PM 5/27/2008
Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 AM

added some pics to help show what I'm talking about
Old 05-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fix that leak and bleed clutch again. Then see if ur problem persist.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you adjust the engagement after installing?
>>> Start so it engages at the bottom of pedal travel and then adjust upward until its where you want it.

The leak may be allowing air in more than you think. Is the line good (no cracks)?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:37 AM

Do you have any idea what size that tube is? It isn't listed on honda's parts list.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you adjust the engagement after installing?
&gt;&gt;&gt; Start so it engages at the bottom of pedal travel and then adjust upward until its where you want it.

The leak may be allowing air in more than you think. Is the line good (no cracks)?</TD></TR></TABLE>

How do you adjust the engagement? Is it on the master cylinder, or do I have to adjust the fork where it meets the slave cylinder?
Old 05-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you look at the top of the clutch pedal, you'll see a locknut, for the clutch rod (splined). Just loosen the nut and spin the clutch rod out of the MC until engagement is at the very bottom of pedal travel - adjust to the proper pedal height from there.

To me, it sounds as if your rod is all the way into the MC, causing it to maintain a high pressure.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:13 AM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

Just did exactly that, problem is totally resolved (except for the leak).

Thanks alot for the help, I can't believe I didn't think of adjusting the clutch rod

Cheers!