Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CEL: ’99 Civic EX Autozone OBDII reader can't read code??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL: ’99 Civic EX Autozone OBDII reader can't read code??

My fianc้’s ’99 Civic EX Sedan 5-speed just had the Check Engine Light come on steady during driving today. No drivability problems or flashing of the CEL just a constant CEL. When I took it to AutoZone and they hooked it up to an OBDII reader the guy said it was a MANUFACTURE CODE. It said in the read out that it was an “aux. emissions code P13**??” Anyone have any experience with this kind of code.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL: ’99 Civic EX Autozone OBDII reader can't read code?? (shortlid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shortlid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My fianc้’s ’99 Civic EX Sedan 5-speed just had the Check Engine Light come on steady during driving today. No drivability problems or flashing of the CEL just a constant CEL. When I took it to AutoZone and they hooked it up to an OBDII reader the guy said it was a MANUFACTURE CODE. It said in the read out that it was an “aux. emissions code P13**??” Anyone have any experience with this kind of code. </TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.obd-codes.com/faq/o...d.php

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1171263

What is the rest of the code? There is no P13. If it is P1300, then it is a random misfire according the above Honda tech link
Old 02-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL: ’99 Civic EX Autozone OBDII reader can't read code?? (specv5150)

It was P1343 and it said aux. emissions? Went to a stealership and the service manager said he could not look up the code cause it came from a genaric OBDII reader from Autozone. He needs to hook it up to a HONDA OBDII reader to get the code for $$$
Old 02-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah unfortunately the stealerships charge $100 for a code.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StreetRacinThug)

just use a paper clip and count the blinks.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

since honda doesn't mention P1343 in any of the service manuals I have (including the 96-00 civic) I'd pull the code the old fashoned way.
http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/06.php

then go from there.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stealerships

They LOVE stealing your money don't they!!
Old 02-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stealerships (shortlid)

yeah, just use the paperclip trick. Its so easy. just search for it and you will get it. Its on here. Good luck. if not pm me.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL: ’99 Civic EX Autozone OBDII reader can't read code?? (shortlid)

i would not recommend the paper clip technique. obd2 can smoke pcms doing that. should use a scanner. if its aux emissions which typically 3 codes arent it has to do with your evap sytem. if car is running fine i would first check your gas cap to make sure its tight. then cycle key 3x and see if cel goes away
Old 02-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: CEL: ’99 Civic EX Autozone OBDII reader can't read code?? (postman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by postman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would not recommend the paper clip technique. obd2 can smoke pcms doing that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Say what....

The ECU has a pin that is specifically used to do that on OBDII ECU's.

Old 02-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by postman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would not recommend the paper clip technique. obd2 can smoke pcms doing that. should use a scanner. if its aux emissions which typically 3 codes arent it has to do with your evap sytem. if car is running fine i would first check your gas cap to make sure its tight. then cycle key 3x and see if cel goes away</TD></TR></TABLE>

stupidest **** I hae ever ehard
Old 02-15-2006, 12:55 PM

The paper clip has aways worked for me... I also have see up a toggle too... put it in the glove box.... simple and easy.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nevaeh Speed)

paper clip best thing u can do... its cheap and easy was to diagnos... especially with the FAQ STICKIED containing all the code info
Old 02-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by postman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would not recommend the paper clip technique. obd2 can smoke pcms doing that.</TD></TR></TABLE>
WHAT???
I've never heard of anyone smoking thier ECU doing that.... well doing it correctly.

besides even the Honda manual says to do it. No way are they going to say to do it if it has a chance of causing damage.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL: ’99 Civic EX Autozone OBDII reader can't read code?? (EE_Chris)

im not saying you cant but i wouldnt do it. if you go to any honda dealer i gurantee they would tell you not to do it. and not just cause they want your money
Old 02-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They would outright tell you don't do it because....it would smoke your ECU? They would actually tell you that?

FYI, there is an actual Honda OEM part number for the diagnostic plug that shorts the service check connector.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by postman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not saying you cant but i wouldnt do it. if you go to any honda dealer i gurantee they would tell you not to do it. and not just cause they want your money</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just stop already. People have been using the paper clip method forever and as stated above, there is a part number foran actual honda part. I want to say my Helms made mention of it using some way of jumping that connection to check codes, but I am not sure. I would have to go back and read it.

Besides, if it was bad, WHY would it be there in the first place AND why does it actually give you codes.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Off then ON again??

Ok ON MY WAY to the stealership the CEL went off by it self. Service manager said he could not help me if the light was not on. So this morning my girl is driving it this am at 12 degrees outside and the CEL comes on again?? Waht is going on, seem to go on when it is REAL cold out about five min into her drive in the AM?
Old 02-19-2006, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Off then ON again?? (shortlid)

There should be a code history they can check...

Sounds like something to do with moisture though.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Moisture

I thought that also so I ran a bottle of Drygas through the car and still the issue????
Old 02-20-2006, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Tryed can't find it

I took the kick panel off and saw the ECU under the ABS ECU. But only on four prong connector under there. Tried to put the paper clip in and the CEL only flashed ONCE then steady??? Well the reason it did not work was it was the HVAC relay I was playing with not the diagnostic. I have looked all over there and there are no other four prong socket under that kink panel???
Old 02-20-2006, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tryed can't find it (shortlid)

From your wording, it seems you're looking for a relay that has a 4-prong socket connected to it so that you can un-do it, stick a paperclip in there somehow and make the CEL flash??

If you're looking for the 2-pin service check connector, it's above the ECU. If you look, there is probably a green rubber boot that is holding a 2nd connector (3-pin, I think) with the one you're looking for (was this way in my 99 hatch). You want the blue 2-pin connector.

Are you looking for the Main Relay or something?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tryed can't find it (EE_Chris)

So it's blue, OK. I am looking for 2-pin service check connector. I looked above the ECU but the ABS ECU might be in the way. I will look again.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It should be in a green rubber holder thing.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Honda tech said no on '99!

Ok, I could not find it for the life of me so I stoped by Ed's Honda Acura Service a Independant Honda only repair shop in Hudson, NH. The OWNER said you can't find it casue it does not have one!! He said the early OBDII cars had them but Honda did not include them in the latter OBDII cars??

Quick Reply: CEL: ’99 Civic EX Autozone OBDII reader can't read code??