Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CD Head Unit SIZE...need help plz

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CD Head Unit SIZE...need help plz

Yeah, I'm putting a Sony Xplod into my '95 EX today...or tomorrow, or something, but anyways I'm getting it and 4 speakers off my old probe for free and it really is a good system so this completely eliminates the need for me to purchase one.. The model # is CDXF5510 and it's a standard size radio head..my question's quite simple..if measured from top to bottom, the honda stock head unit seems larger than any other radio head (aftermarket).. I think mine'll fit in there but I think it'll have room on the top and bottom and possibly on the sides.. What can I do for spacing? I remember on my friend's maxima the stock bose system was like measured from top to bottom 3 or 3 and a half regular standard aftermarket sizes so he bought a coin tray/item holder off of ebay for that whole slot and I cut it down with a cutting wheel and scrwed it in through the back sides of the console...anyways, point being, that had a lot more room... So what do I do about the size difference? Or is there not any? Does the stock honda unit just appear bigger?

The soddering wont' be a problem because there's this store called metro where I'm goin today where u just tell 'em ur car type/year and the cd player head unit's model # and they'll give u a conversion harness so it's all just plug and play w/o splicing..but aren't typical screws on the front....oppose to the hondas where they're on the bottom if I remember correctly...

So in that whole story there's 2 main questions..
- is there any way to fill the gap that's probably going to exist between the stock head unit opening and the aftermarket head unit
- do I have to drill new holes in the bottom to keep it stationary since most radios mount in the front

Old 07-20-2006, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CD Head Unit SIZE...need help plz (Syndacate)

Just pick up a sleeve from Best Buy and slap that thing in there.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CD Head Unit SIZE...need help plz (ken00si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ken00si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just pick up a sleeve from Best Buy and slap that thing in there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They have sleeves for this or this is gonna be like a "find a piece of plastic and fabricate that ****" kinda deal
Old 07-21-2006, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They have sleeves for this or this is gonna be like a "find a piece of plastic and fabricate that ****" kinda deal </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not certain, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask. Also try Circuit City or anyone else who sells Sony head units.

I just picked up an Alpine head unit at Best Buy and they had a sleeve specifically for my car.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CD Head Unit SIZE...need help plz (ken00si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ken00si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not certain, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask. Also try Circuit City or anyone else who sells Sony head units.

I just picked up an Alpine head unit at Best Buy and they had a sleeve specifically for my car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OH, alright, so there definately are bezzel sleves that exist, taht was what I was getting at...Alrighty, thx
Old 07-21-2006, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually, the radio should fit without the sleeve. i know my poineer does. do you have a picture of the radio?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.pricerunner.com/sou...ices#

If you click on the picture it'll enlarge

It's the standard size..the honda stock head unit is above standard size hwen it comes to height..but he said there's bezzels/spacers, so I'll see if I can get one of them..
Old 07-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

yeah that'll fit in the dash without spacers and sleeves. there is border that clips around the radio that covers the radio mounting bracket, giving it a clean look. man, i lost count on how many of these i've installed in civics and other cars. just use the mount bracket that comes with radio, it'll do fine.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philosofy1)

Yeah, about taht mount bracket...iono if it came w/ a bezzel or anything

The radio's not brand new in the box..I had it awihle ago...I have some information that I have to look for on it that had like the external speaker covers and such in it... but I have to find the box, if anything it's in there... what happend was it got stolen by a friend of a friend and now I'm getting it back...
Old 07-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

well, without the bezel you can still install it, just you'll see the tabs from the mounting bracket.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philosofy1)

yeah, alright, I'll purchase one when I buy another radio harness, and if worse comes to worse I'll find a totalled civic and cut a piece of the dash board out then grind it down so it'll fit around nicely (make my own bezzel)

Thx for ur help