Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

carbonfiber roofskin

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default carbonfiber roofskin

i was thinking about purchasing one, but first i don't know where to get it and second i don't think they make them for coupes?

strike me wrong
Old 09-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: carbonfiber roofskin (jdm91CrxSi)

it would be pointless to put such a thing on your car....

I would think you would have to get something like that custom made by a composites shop. Any Sailboat shop can make you one if you really want one.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: carbonfiber roofskin (DirtySol)

they make them for hatchbacks.. and they are not pointless im a racer at heart man. weight is my power
Old 09-25-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: carbonfiber roofskin (DirtySol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DirtySol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it would be pointless to put such a thing on your car....

I would think you would have to get something like that custom made by a composites shop. Any Sailboat shop can make you one if you really want one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not completely pointless. Maybe is going on a show car. Alot of stuff people do are pointless, but its all about what they like. Anyway

I thought I saw something like this in the sponsers marketplace
Old 09-25-2007, 11:11 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm91CrxSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they make them for hatchbacks.. and they are not pointless im a racer at heart man. weight is my power</TD></TR></TABLE>

ummm, I am pretty sure they go over the roof, not replace it. Thus, its actually adding more weight.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:11 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm91CrxSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they make them for hatchbacks.. and they are not pointless im a racer at heart man. weight is my power</TD></TR></TABLE>

So adding carbon-fiber on top of the metal reduces weight?

Is that like eating celery?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: carbonfiber roofskin (sol2hatch)

dude cf lip, hood, roof and trunk looks about sexy as expletive
Old 09-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So adding carbon-fiber on top of the metal reduces weight?

Is that like eating celery?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's not a cover. BTW
Old 09-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

by removing your roofskin, you will be greatly reducing the safety and rigidity of your car. Carbon does not bend and wrinkle, it flexes a little then breaks/shreds
Old 09-25-2007, 11:17 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm91CrxSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it's not a cover. BTW</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, roof skins/caps are covers. Were you planning on welding it to your chassis? Race Caps are full replacements, and used to be made by CompositeFab, which is now out of business.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The only carbon fiber roof skins I've ever seen are overlays. So, it in fact adds a bit of weight, not remove it.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:23 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: carbonfiber roofskin (Eran)

i dont think its a good idea to one off your own, you're going to cut the center of your coupe in half.........................................the roof and floor pan are LOAD BEARING

like in a house, you cannot knock down load bearing parts

you can make a bracket that goes aroud weld support bars to keep the unibody from shifting then tack your brakets in slowly

then attaching the roof skin to the bracket/lip you made using window sealant and rivets

its a horrible idea but its possible none the less. you'll need decent use of metag inert gas welding with various wire. and creativity

Old 09-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: carbonfiber roofskin (suicide_shift)

you got to it before i did.. thats what i was going to do, i have welder oulets and everything i mean this is what im going to school for man.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:28 AM
* B A N N E D *

its not a great idea. just the physical properties of carbon fiber plus you're sitting there with a gun tacking **** heating up the carbon. bleh. ever seen a corvette roll over? its not pretty basically whats going to happen to you minus the X bars in the roof skin of the vette
Old 09-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you do realize it goes over the stock roof right??? it adds weight not reduce it
Old 09-25-2007, 11:48 AM

ehh, if they made one that replaces the OEM roof skin i would buy one.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:50 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (allricedout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allricedout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ehh, if they made one that replaces the OEM roof skin i would buy one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its possible to make one that replaces it but i HIGHLY doubt people here can do it.

they need help with b16a swaps and they think a k swap os too much work, so im pretty sure anything that requires cutting and griding , fusing metals and genral fabrication is wayyyyy over their heads
Old 09-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suicide_shift)

kinda ricey IMO, there gunna be uber expensive and peel fast. get it painted a carbon color
Old 09-25-2007, 12:00 PM

Default Re: (suicide_shift)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suicide_shift &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

its possible to make one that replaces it but i HIGHLY doubt people here can do it.

they need help with b16a swaps and they think a k swap os too much work, so im pretty sure anything that requires cutting and griding , fusing metals and genral fabrication is wayyyyy over their heads </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol people "here" cant do it?.. thats right because were all internet nerds right?

i would buy one though and if i couldnt do it myself, i would take it to a shop even though i never would.. &lt;--- certified welder here.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

goodluck son
Old 09-25-2007, 12:13 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: carbonfiber roofskin (suicide_shift)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suicide_shift &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont think its a good idea to one off your own, you're going to cut the center of your coupe in half.........................................the roof and floor pan are LOAD BEARING

like in a house, you cannot knock down load bearing parts

you can make a bracket that goes aroud weld support bars to keep the unibody from shifting then tack your brakets in slowly

then attaching the roof skin to the bracket/lip you made using window sealant and rivets

its a horrible idea but its possible none the less. you'll need decent use of metag inert gas welding with various wire. and creativity</TD></TR></TABLE>
The roof is not a load bearing structure. A 6th gen Civic roof is made up of a thin metal roof skin on top, some thin metal bars underneath that and the headliner below that.

I've also seen pics (I thought I saved, but can't find them now) of a car having it's stock caved in roof removed and having a new stock roof put in. I have seen another car that is a USDM 5G Civic hatch getting a JDM roof skin installed so that the stock moonroof can be installed.

It's more of an umbrella than anything. If you cut the roof out, the car will not cave in on itself.

These guys look like they're having no trouble being supported.

I have more pics, but this seems to be the car in it's end result (I do have photos of them cutting the entire roof off).

Old 09-25-2007, 12:16 PM

lol nice NOFX^.... x2 on the roof not being a structural piece.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wtf
Old 09-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: carbonfiber roofskin (.:Swigg:.)

possibly the ugliest ek hatch ever? it would be hard to top that one
Old 09-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: carbonfiber roofskin (USDMCIVICHATCH)

hes founder of ek squad

Quick Reply: carbonfiber roofskin