Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Carbon Fiber Rear Deck Lid

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Rear Deck Lid

don't know how many of you have seen this before, but i was thumbing through my recent jcwhitney catalog and came across a cf rear trunk lid. i thought i looked kinda cool, but as far as a weight reduction mod . this is more of a show piece imo and just wanted to share my findings. if anyone is interested they go for $299 and apply to 1992-2000 civic's and 1994-2001 teg's
oh, and they're made by arospeed

http://www.jcwhitney.com/produ...BQ=sc
Old 09-18-2003, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Rear Deck Lid (cre18)

there was a topic on this just yesterday !
Old 09-18-2003, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's a deck lid not a trunk
Old 09-18-2003, 02:07 PM

sorry...

free bump for my mistake!
Old 09-18-2003, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Rear Deck Lid (JICEK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JICEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there was a topic on this just yesterday !</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok member for 3 weeks , anyways that trunk lid is pretty goofy when you can just take yours out anyways... oh and by the wayyyyy i have an OEM one for an EK if anyone is interested, check my sig
Old 09-18-2003, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Carbon Fiber Rear Deck Lid (SOC EK9)

why get a cf deck lid when u just take it out
Old 09-18-2003, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Rear Deck Lid (BomBoi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BomBoi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why get a cf deck lid when u just take it out</TD></TR></TABLE>

exacty.....i gues you need that extra strength of carbon because your system bumps so hard it riped your stock one
Old 09-18-2003, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Rear Deck Lid (BomBoi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BomBoi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why get a cf deck lid when u just take it out</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why cf wings and lips when you can take all those things off?
Old 09-18-2003, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Rear Deck Lid (Fowler)

just depends on what you're going for. of course this piece is useless and a waste of money if you have a gutted interior.. or it could save you ~1-2 lbs
Old 09-18-2003, 02:40 PM

Same **** with CF bumpers. I mean, urethane stock bumpers are NOT heavy, at least not enough to warrent spending a couple hundred bucks and risk having it damaged if someone bumps you while parking. I could see a CF trunk lid and hood. . . even true CF fenders in a non-daily-driven car, but to hell with cf bumpers and deck lids.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fowler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why cf wings and lips when you can take all those things off?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Carbon Fiber WING, the wing is designed to be more aerodynamic, so why not make it lighter and make it cf? There's nothing aerodynamic about a trunk lid. The only reason the trunk lid is there is for privacy.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you honestly think that any of the companies that make the cf wings have done any R&D to prove that they work by deflecting air? Probably not.

Do you think that the people who purchase these wings are interested in their aerodynamic properties? Probably not.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:33 PM

Default Done

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fowler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you honestly think that any of the companies that make the cf wings have done any R&D to prove that they work by deflecting air? Probably not.

Do you think that the people who purchase these wings are interested in their aerodynamic properties? Probably not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree with you, however at least they serve more then one purpose then a cf trunk lid, which is looks...
Old 09-18-2003, 03:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fowler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you honestly think that any of the companies that make the cf wings have done any R&D to prove that they work by deflecting air? Probably not.

Do you think that the people who purchase these wings are interested in their aerodynamic properties? Probably not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im gonna have to agree with SOC EK9 on this one.
I know that many people arent interested in the aerodynamics of wings BUT also many people are interested in the aerodynamics of wings too (myself included) and also BENEN does not release any product without running MANY MANY tests on the product, and we all know they have some serious lips, wings, CF hoods, and strut/sway bars.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Rear Deck Lid (Navid OG)

If you can show me a report done to prove that they are aero dynamic or anything else to prove that they make a difference other than look good, then I will shut up.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fowler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you can show me a report done to prove that they are aero dynamic or anything else to prove that they make a difference other than look good, then I will shut up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sport Compact Car Magazine
Issue: April 2002
thats the magazine, its dedicated to BENEN industires and their Carbon Fiber products, Civic EG: Front Lip, Hood, and Rear Spoiler.

go get it, read, and learn

and im searching the net right now to find articles for u
Old 09-18-2003, 04:00 PM

Fowler here is the link:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb....cbody/

Old 09-18-2003, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Rear Deck Lid (Navid OG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Navid OG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fowler here is the link:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb....cbody/

</TD></TR></TABLE>

atta boy
Old 09-18-2003, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In that whole article, there are only two things that caught my attention:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SCC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Riding a wave of dent-free vanity, we decided to indulge a little bit in something with a value that may be more aesthetic than functional--carbon fiber.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SCC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Although it looks damn nice on the car, the lip more importantly diverts airflow around the car, reducing drag and lift. We'll inevitably be testing its flexibility soon.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This all good to hear, but it would mean just as much if I said it. Just because they SCC, it doesn't mean that they are the truth. So, I have yet to see a graph proving that they actually do anything other than look good.

And I still stand by my statement that most of the people, if not all buy these for purely aestetic purposes, rather than function... myself included.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:43 PM
egizzle8

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Rear Deck Lid (blazinb16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blazinb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

exacty.....i gues you need that extra strength of carbon because your system bumps so hard it riped your stock one</TD></TR></TABLE>
ROFLMAO !! Thats classic.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Rear Deck Lid (88boostedzcrx)

for 3 bills!! **** that! maybe if it was like 1 bill then i would consider it cause there arent really any advantages of having it except it looks cool every time you open the trunk . i wonder if it still folds in the middle like the oem version
Old 09-18-2003, 04:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fowler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In that whole article, there are only two things that caught my attention:

This all good to hear, but it would mean just as much if I said it. Just because they SCC, it doesn't mean that they are the truth. So, I have yet to see a graph proving that they actually do anything other than look good.

And I still stand by my statement that most of the people, if not all buy these for purely aestetic purposes, rather than function... myself included.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its obvious u have ur mind made up. I RESPECT ur honest opinions and 2cents. good luck in whatever it is u pursue

P.S. they are aerodynamic
Old 09-18-2003, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just to add in on this little cf talk. Me personally I am a cf nut. If it is carbon fiber, I already have it or had it specially made, or have it being made now for my del sol. (trunk, targa, hood, jsp blade wing, gas lid, and and all the other fun stuff) and yes I race my car. I like the look of it, and I love to not take peices off my car when I race. Which I will never do because if I am gonna put a time down I wanna be able to do it with my carpet and seats. I personally think its dumb to gut a car for a day to race 10 passes down the track and pick up the extra .1 when I usually smoke em. but anyways, cf looks good. bottom line, and in some areas loses alot of weight.