Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

carbon fiber/carbon kevlar civic eg hood spoon wing mirrors <---

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon fiber/carbon kevlar civic eg hood spoon wing mirrors <---

Ok the title is obviously for searching purposes. Since im a "noob" I can't post in the Appearance / Cosmetic forum so I apologize if you feel this is in the wrong forum. I recently acquired a civic eg project (now that im almost done with my mk2 gti), and im looking for white/yellow carbon fiber accessories stated above (hood,spoon wing & mirrors). I believe the material is called carbon kevlar... but I am not sure. I did some searching and no real results. So my question to you is A. are there any brands that make these items specifically in the material i stated above. B. can i modify ordinary carbon fiber (spray it with some clear color and clear coat) to make it look like the yellow kevlar. I'm sure there is a hood, but I am particularly concerned with the spoon parts. Below is an image of a rocco with the type of hood. (remeber this information will help alot, I understand that you guys are probably concerned more with performance, but this will be a showcar/trackcar) Thanks for your input!
Old 11-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: carbon fiber/carbon kevlar civic eg hood spoon wing mirrors <--- (Schurke)

You're an unrestricted user according to your profile, you should be able to post in the appearance forum now.

Fiber Images offered colored carbon weaves previously, you might contact them: http://www.fiberimages.com/.

Here's a hatch with kevlar Spoon style lip and wing: http://nwp4life.zeroforum.com/...age=4

Old 11-20-2005, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: carbon fiber/carbon kevlar civic eg hood spoon wing mirrors <--- (rodrez.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodrez. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're an unrestricted user according to your profile, you should be able to post in the appearance forum now.

Fiber Images offered colored carbon weaves previously, you might contact them: http://www.fiberimages.com/.

Here's a hatch with kevlar Spoon style lip and wing: http://nwp4life.zeroforum.com/...age=4</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're right, I think I was lacking a post or two, now I can. Thanks alot for your help, I guess I could contact the owner of that car regarding the wing. However, I am still looking for kevlar spoon mirrors.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Down Since Day 1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: carbon fiber/carbon kevlar civic eg hood spoon wing mirrors <--- (Schurke)

that lip is a one off custom and was built custom order.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1434698
Old 11-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: carbon fiber/carbon kevlar civic eg hood spoon wing mirrors <--- (1 point 6)

that means the spoon wing is also custom? (I'm not interested in the lips)
Old 11-20-2005, 03:40 PM

do a carbon fiber search. there's a guy on here that has carbon fiber material + the solidifying liquid. all you do is make a mold, wrap the cfiber and brush on the solidifying mold, wait then clear coat with a uv protectant clear coat. sounds really easy but i would guess the hardest part is making the mold.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: carbon fiber/carbon kevlar civic eg hood spoon wing mirrors <--- (MyEG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MyEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do a carbon fiber search. there's a guy on here that has carbon fiber material + the solidifying liquid. all you do is make a mold, wrap the cfiber and brush on the solidifying mold, wait then clear coat with a uv protectant clear coat. sounds really easy but i would guess the hardest part is making the mold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeahhhhh.... i'm not in the position to get a mold done and do all that work... so thats out of the picture. and again I'm not looking for carbon fiber, it's kevlar i'm looking for. kevlar hood, kevlar spoon wing and kevlar spoon mirrors
Old 11-20-2005, 09:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schurke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeahhhhh.... i'm not in the position to get a mold done and do all that work... so thats out of the picture. and again I'm not looking for carbon fiber, it's kevlar i'm looking for. kevlar hood, kevlar spoon wing and kevlar spoon mirrors</TD></TR></TABLE>

people sell the carbon kevlar fabric but i don't actually know what the difference is. they both look the same heh, i'm assuming carbon kevlar is a little stronger than carbon itself. but yeah back on the note, it is a lot of work but could save you tons of money. for instance, it'll only cost about 100$ to make a carbon fiber hood.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:34 AM
Down Since Day 1

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schurke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that means the spoon wing is also custom? (I'm not interested in the lips)</TD></TR></TABLE>

it was posted so you could contact ff-sean and ask him where he got it, maybe the guy can make you what you want.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MyEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">people sell the carbon kevlar fabric but i don't actually know what the difference is. they both look the same heh, i'm assuming carbon kevlar is a little stronger than carbon itself. but yeah back on the note, it is a lot of work but could save you tons of money. for instance, it'll only cost about 100$ to make a carbon fiber hood.</TD></TR></TABLE>

carbon kevlar is dry carbon, carbon fiber is wet carbon. also carbon kevlar comes in a ton of different colors, just not yellow.

Its also a different process of production. Dry carbon fiber surfaces are smooth and show no air bubble pockets. In contrast, wet carbon fiber is wavy and air bubble pockets are noticeable. Because of the molding process, dry carbon fiber cost more to produce than wet carbon fiber.

Many people do not realize what the difference between wet carbon fiber and dry carbon fiber, and sometimes the carbon fiber product they are purchasing is not entirely carbon fiber. People always judge the product just by the price, they do not understand the equipment, raw material and making mold are all different. Many places substitute raw carbon fiber for 2x2 fiberglass which looks identical, but is not even carbon.

Dry carbon fiber is made in a pre-pregnancy and dry process which consists of vacuum forming sheet of carbon fiber into a mold at temperatures around 350c, this process allows carbon fiber to form into a strong and lightweight composite.

On the other hand, wet carbon fiber is formed by using hand laid carbon fiber sheets into a mold then mixed with resin (30% carbon fiber, 70%resin). This process may allow air pockets form inside, then makes the wet carbon fiber structure weak and also is susceptible to changes in temperature.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: carbon fiber/carbon kevlar civic eg hood spoon wing mirrors <--- (1 point 6)

Don't mean to steal the thread but while we are on the subject, who offers dry carbon products??
Old 11-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Down Since Day 1

Default Re: carbon fiber/carbon kevlar civic eg hood spoon wing mirrors <--- (c_buz)

probably not a whole lot of people, its 2x more the cost to produce than CF.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:56 PM

nice info. thanks for the update. interesting...
Old 11-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha that hood above is painted gold, its not actual kevlar... so i guess I'll be painting stuff gold now
Old 11-21-2005, 11:01 PM
* B A N N E D *

I happen to know how to make carbon fiber; for our formula car, we make our own, and this 'wet' stuff is a bullshit term. there are nu bubbles if you do it right.

P.S. what IS that hideous car at the top?