Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car won't start.... help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car won't start.... help!!!!!

You might remember my first post explaining that I just bought a 1994 Honda Civic DX SOCH 1.5 L car.

Due to the previous owner neglegting to maintian the motor, I am trying to tune it up to get it to run great.

First things I did was, thermostat, Plugs (ngk), Fuel injector cleaner, air filter, Fuel Filter. Car ran ok not perfect, kinda sounded like it was ideling on 3 cylinders, but drove decent for a while. I had a problem with idel going up and down ( sorry no tach) My buddy explained to me that it was the IAC valve. So we pulled to TB pulled the IAC valve and tightened the plate up, although I dropeed it and brojke the nipple where the small black cooling hose connects to, so what we did was bypass the IAC valve completely and hooked both small cooling hoses up together clamed them down. Car ideled alot better no more ideld high then dropping low.

secondly, yhe car when started up seemed to, how should I say thing, Bogg? a little, kind figured it was miss fire a little while driving it would missfire big time like car was running on 2 clylinders, So I bought a new cap and rotor and it seemed to fix the problem. Car started up fine drove perfect, no more missfire. ....

So I am thinking SWEET, car is running grwat now! I drove the car to work, ran fine. After work, I got into my car tryed to start it up, would not start up at all, Starter just kept on spinning over, but it was like no spark...........

I duuno what to do........ I installed my old Rotor, scraped the brass part to clean it, checked the terminals in the inide of the Cap they were fine, had a little white corrosion on them, but seemed to be fine. I swiched out wires. I also pulled the plug ( which had Fuel all over it)and tested for spark, it sparked but it was a very small RED spark.

So what may be my problem? Maby the plugs are fouled? Distributar needs replaced? Or could the IAC have anything to do with it?

Modified by zx2gotboost at 9:59 PM 8/30/2005
Old 08-31-2005, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car won't start.... help!!!!! (zx2gotboost)

Some things I noticed, 1: no CEL 2: tested each plug, all fired blue spark, # 1 fired a Red orangish color spark. I dunno what the problem is,
Old 09-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car won't start.... help!!!!! (zx2gotboost)

ok, well, after fantuically askign peopel whats my problem. Finding out that problem was the Distibutar. My buddy has the same car as me, so we swapped Distributars and his worked on my car. Luckily he had an extra distributar laying around that worked... Althogh it was ment for a 1.6? Vtec motor. We put it on all we had to do is bore out the holes where it bolts up, put it on and the car fires RIGHT up! WOOT SO from my experience, the 1.6L ? Vtec Distributar works W/lil mods. Although, now the car is missfiring when the car gets warmed up. Its got a NEW cap and rotor on it. Mabey its the IAC that i explaned before..??