Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car won't start after replugging in ECU

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start after replugging in ECU

Hello all, I was testing currents on my VSS to make sure all the wires were in working order. This caused me to unplug the ECU. I did my tests, and plugged everything back into the ECU, but now my car will not start. I don't know what's wrong because I hardly tinkered with anything. The car tries to turn and turn turn turn, but never over. This made me think it was the fuel pump but there weren't blown fuses or anything. I then tried to read codes from my ECU using the paper clip method but it wouldn't even do the blink procedure. I've done it a 100 times too the same way. It should AT LEAST give me a code for the VSS (number 17), but it just stayed lit (Key Position II). This makes me believe that the ECU isnt properly installed, but I don't know how it couldn't be.

After further examination, I looked at the three connectors that go into the ECU. The middle one (it is gray) had like a chip taking out of it releasing three wires that go into it. but I am almost 100% sure that I didn't do that. I took them out myself, and these would have needed like a hammer to break. But now there are three wires hanging lose. I'm really at a loss. I've never unplugged the ECU before and Idk what the owner before me has done with it.

I called a mechanic and their answer was try another ECU or take mine to get it scanned for codes. This doesn't sound worth the time, and a little redundant. But what do you all think?

It seems a little TOO coincidental for my starter or fuel pump etc to just go OUT while working on an ECU. Its gotta be the ECU.

My car is an EM1, b16a2 with a P2T all stock.

Thank you guys, and really need help!
Old 06-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car won't start after replugging in ECU

well from ecu exp. u cant just take ur ecu to get checked, it HAS to be in a vehicle. 2nd sounds like a connection prob or loose wire goin into harness for ecu make sure everythin is tight with no free play. also make sure when plugging it in that is makes a snap noise from harness to ensure proper connection. let me know if anything changes
Old 06-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are three loose wires, but they have been long before I ever took out the ECU, so idk what else it could be. I've got a friend with an OBD2 scanner coming over and we'll see what we can get. I don't think it will do much but whatever.

Also, it doesn't sound like I will need a new fuel pump or anything right?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no if anything id check the tranny ground bc sometimes car acts like that when tranny ground is bad. just wont start but will turn over check that if not replace it. ill check back an see if u found anything. also just check random grounds and fuses can look fine but can be bad. i work with elec parts everyday and fuses fool me sometime. but thats just a few ideas i got
Old 06-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So your fuel pump is working fine? You might wanna check to see what those 3 lose wires are, and go from there
Old 06-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

first check your ecu fuse underhood.. or any fuses for that matter. i know you said you did check them but i would doublecheck or triple check.

from tehre a bold CEl while trying to check indicates a code 0 if i recall correctly. code 0 is ecu...or maybe that is obd-1 stuff im remembering
Old 06-29-2009, 11:36 AM

IS your main relay good?