Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car starts, dies and then won't start for again for a while...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 05:50 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car starts, dies and then won't start for again for a while...

Any of you Honda geniuses have any ideas on what could be causing my car to do the following?

Car starts no problem, I drive for a bit no problem then once I start going up a hill the car just dies and won't start again.
First thing I did was filled it up with gas but that didn't work...
Waited a day, came back to the car, it started and then it died again on a different hill.

So something about the car being on an inclination causes it to die and not start again for a long period of time...
Ever heard of this happening before?
I've towed the car home, so if there is anything you can suggest, I have the car right here with me.
The only thing I can think of is the fuel pump...I've been using the JRSC with the stock fuel pump for about 3 months. The pump had about 50K miles on it before the JRSC was installed.

Specs:
2000 CX hatchback with a D16Y8/JRSC
Thanks
Chad
Old 09-01-2003, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Car starts, dies and then won't start for again for a while... (gubo22)

well next time it dies check fuel pressure and spark to see which problem it is. thats the only way to diagnos an intermittent problem like that. Plus are you sure it will only do that on the inclines. Because my friend had the same type problem with his accord but it happened everywhere hill or not. That turned out to be his ignitor(ignition module).
Old 09-02-2003, 09:10 AM

i Would first start to check the fuel pressure before the fuel filter then after maybe just a dirty or clogged fuel filter, or maybe it is the fuel pump check that too, listen to hear if it comes on or i think if you take it off autozone tests them for you. Does it throw any cels(check engine light come on.)hope this helps. It could be alot of things though, but thats all i can think of now Good luck
Old 09-02-2003, 09:13 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (b16eghatch)

My old crx did the same thing all of a sudden, and it ended up being my alternator going out. How long has it been doing this?
Old 09-02-2003, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car starts, dies and then won't start for again for a while... (gubo22)

do you also experience the problem going downhill, or is it just on the inclines?
Old 09-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car starts, dies and then won't start for again for a while... (NatedoggAZ)

does it throw a code?

if so check it

it might be your distributer, mine did the same it would run but when the dizzy warmed up it would shut down.

just throw some options your way!!

hope u fix it and it does cost you much, I just hate spending lots of money on stupid ****( jus venting lol)
Old 09-02-2003, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my car used to die out on steep hills. it actually was the fuel pump not keeping up with the incline. it also ran kinda shitty on level ground too
Old 09-02-2003, 10:43 AM

Default Re: (dantastic)

haha i had a problem like this.

when it happens check for spark.
first your ignition coil will go bad, then your ignitor. it has a habit of doing this why i dont know.
more than likely though your ignitor is bad.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:20 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (em1-t)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by em1-t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha i had a problem like this.

when it happens check for spark.
first your ignition coil will go bad, then your ignitor. it has a habit of doing this why i dont know.
more than likely though your ignitor is bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that could be the problem, but it's almost 100% not. See, the motion of your distributor has nothing to do with the inclination of the surface you're on, so the ignitor wouldn't "crap out" on an incline any more frequently than it would on a normal road.

It's probably your shitty fuel pump not being able to keep up with your SUPERCHARGED ENGINE. Honestly, if you don't have a Walborough 255 lph fuel pump backing up a supercharged engine, I don't feel sorry for you if that's your problem.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:46 PM
New User

You guys should get a good laugh out of this one...
I changed all my grounds to thicker cables and on the battery neg ground, the clamp was only being held on by one thread from the cable.
So I guess when I gave it load, the cable pulled away and shut off the power. Then after letting it sit for a while, the cable rested down on the clamp and I was able to start it again for a while...LOL

Thank god I found it before doing anything major.

p.s. I've got the 255 HP from the H-T GB coming soon.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:21 AM

hahaha.
groundz own!