Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car is running horrible after arp stud install video inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is running horrible after arp stud install video inside

Well after i installed my arp headstuds in my d16z6 and tried to start her up she was running horrible. it sounded like one cylinder is out. My friend told me it might be my timing since i slipped the belt off the cam gear but i marked it with white out and lined the marks back up. then i turned the crank to cheack tdc and it was right. the cam gear is a little off not too much though. well all in all heres the video.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing....5NTQx
Old 09-17-2006, 02:41 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Car is running horrible after arp stud install video inside (LaOstha)

It might just be me, but your wires look like they're in the wrong order. I could be wrong

I think 1 & 2 need to be swapped around on the cap.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Car is running horrible after arp stud install video inside (SkoundrelUSA)

yeah it does look like your plug wires are wrong. head studs should not mess with your motor at all
Old 09-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah im with the others.. check your wires bro
Old 09-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vlc92189)

i jsut swapped them and its still running the same
Old 09-17-2006, 02:54 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Car is running horrible after arp stud install video inside (LaOstha)

Old 09-17-2006, 02:56 PM

I think your firing order is off on the dizzy. Here is a link for d16z6 firing order.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=821403
Old 09-17-2006, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car is running horrible after arp stud install video inside (Boosted B6teen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LaOstha &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i jsut swapped them and its still running the same</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eeleaj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah it does look like your plug wires are wrong. head studs should not mess with your motor at all</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know they should not mess with my motor. well my motor was running perfectly fine before i took it apart and put it back together. could it be the timing belt skipped a tooth
Old 09-17-2006, 03:02 PM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LaOstha &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i know they should not mess with my motor. well my motor was running perfectly fine before i took it apart and put it back together. could it be the timing belt skipped a tooth</TD></TR></TABLE>

Possibly. It def sounds like its misfiring though. Also try checking around for little things like if the injector clips are all the way on or something
Old 09-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LaOstha &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> the cam gear is a little off not too much though.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
thats probably it. a little off could be a tooth retarded. did u turn the belt three teeth before u tensioned it?
Old 09-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car is running horrible after arp stud install video inside (brick top)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brick top &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats probably it. a little off could be a tooth retarded. did u turn the belt three teeth before u tensioned it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

nah i just slipped it off and back on aligning the marks i mad with white out. The belt feels a little loose. I think im just gonna set my timing on my crank and cam gear. is it hard to turn the cam gear to line it up?

Also another thing is. i took the distributor off and it got unalaigned so when i put it in i had to spin the rotor. would that mess timing up?
Old 09-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LaOstha &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

nah i just slipped it off and back on aligning the marks i mad with white out. The belt feels a little loose. I think im just gonna set my timing on my crank and cam gear. is it hard to turn the cam gear to line it up?

Also another thing is. i took the distributor off and it got unalaigned so when i put it in i had to spin the rotor. would that mess timing up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

1) no its not hard, but u can't go too far before or after tdc because it'll cause the valves to open and hit the pistons. not good.

2) i believe the rotor maits to the head only one way. which way did u move the distributor? looks like u have it retarded too much. turn it all the way back towards the firewall and see if that helps.

P.S. when u remove the timing belt, your breaking the tension. it needs to be retensioned when reinstalling the belt to keep the crank aligned with the head.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car is running horrible after arp stud install video inside (brick top)

i tried both directions and it doesnt get any better each way so i just left it at the middle.

what i meant was with the dizzy off the head i spun the rotor to align the teeth with the camshaft. would that affect anything?
Old 09-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no
Old 09-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (brick top)

ill guess ill try to redo my timing,but wwouldnt retarding or advancing the distributor help a little. or is my timing too fucked up to notice
Old 09-17-2006, 04:14 PM

check the MAP sensor and the TPS sensor maybe u need to switch them around..................cuz thier interchangeable....if u took off ur head it must have gotten switch around..................same happen whit me d15b v-tec sounds like timing but not............................................... ..........................................maybe sensors..............switcherooo........sensors
Old 09-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LaOstha)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LaOstha &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ill guess ill try to redo my timing,but wwouldnt retarding or advancing the distributor help a little. or is my timing too fucked up to notice</TD></TR></TABLE>

like i said before, it looks like your distributor is too far retarded. try advancing it towards the firewall.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (brick top)

i did advance it while the car was running and it didnt reallly cahnge
Old 09-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

then i guess redo your timing the correct way.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:44 PM
H-T White Ops

Your plug wires are off dude.
This is what you have. It's wrong.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LaOstha &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i jsut swapped them and its still running the same</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-18-2006, 07:42 AM
H-T White Ops

Check your cam and ignition timing yet?
Old 09-18-2006, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

Sounds like timing, you might even have black smoke coming out the back when you rev the engine.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my friends y7 was off by a tooth when we did the timing belt recently, didn't sound that bad but i guess it's possible. We only knew because when he accelerated there would be misfires every now and then but not too often, it didn't sound right (but not that bad) and it was weak as hell.

Turbocharged? any video from when it was running?

Quick Reply: Car is running horrible after arp stud install video inside