Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car not starting after clutch and throwout bearing job

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not starting after clutch and throwout bearing job

I have a 2000 honda civic ex with a 98 jdm type r swap. Recently did a throwout bearing and a clutch on it. (Fidanza flywheel, act 6 puck sprung and act pressure plate. Used oem honda throwout bearing) Car will not start now. Ran fine before I did the job minus the slipping clutch. I am getting fuel, air, and spark. Bought a brand new starter figured it was that. Starter sounds VERY strong. Stronger than it usually does when I crank the key. Motor is turning I feel compression when I took a spark plug out (Crank pulley is spinning also.) Bought a brand new ac/clutch relay. Same problem. No check engine lights. Also tried my stock ECU that I use for emissions. Flywheel teeth look fine. Could it be the clutch switch? Doesnt that not allow the starter to turn if it was? I am stumped and frustrated. Help is much appreciated.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car not starting after clutch and throwout bearing job

Also want to add that my battery is fine fully charged.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ground from frame to tranny is all I can think of that u would remove in this process
Old 04-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Car will not start or crank I'm confused? It cranked but you still bought a starter?
Old 04-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Car will not start or crank I'm confused? It cranked but you still bought a starter?
Yep I jumped to conclusion had some extra cash to burn figured it was the bendix. Oh well my mistake..
Old 04-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by h22steaksauce
Ground from frame to tranny is all I can think of that u would remove in this process
Yep made sure the ground was clean..didnt work. Only thing I can think of is maybe the clutch isn't fully disengaging for some reason I just want to check EVERYTHING before I yank the trans. again..im puzzled though because wouldnt the car start even if the clutch doesn't fully disengage?
Old 04-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

It has to be something electrical like an uplugged connector. What all did you remove to do the job?
Old 04-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mix matched coolant temp sensors?
Old 04-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
It has to be something electrical like an uplugged connector. What all did you remove to do the job?
Took the ground wire off from the trans to the frame, unplugged the wiring harness for room around the trans, took distributor off/starter, speed sensor off trans, and 02 sensor from the headers. Triple checked the firing order also. Possible two plugs on the harness look similar and I mixed one up? I looked over them they all looked normal. I also believe its an electrical problem..
Old 04-14-2013, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej7attack
mix matched coolant temp sensors?
Would that cause it to not start? I dont have any check engine lights. Hmm.. going to have to re-check these..all this help is appreciated I am going nuts over here
Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Went over wires everything seems normal.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you said it was cranking over? how bout just for the hell of it put the old starter back in
Old 04-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spumoni98
you said it was cranking over? how bout just for the hell of it put the old starter back in
Did that same results. Pretty much tried everything at this point which makes me believe it has something to do with the clutch..
Old 04-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K PORT
Yep made sure the ground was clean..didnt work. Only thing I can think of is maybe the clutch isn't fully disengaging for some reason I just want to check EVERYTHING before I yank the trans. again..im puzzled though because wouldnt the car start even if the clutch doesn't fully disengage?
Check your neutral switch on the clutch pedal it's a little button like rubber piece n if its breaks off car won't start its rather common good luck
Old 04-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Relington
Check your neutral switch on the clutch pedal it's a little button like rubber piece n if its breaks off car won't start its rather common good luck
If the engine is turning over it's not that.

Did you disturb the thermostat ground? ACG fuse under the dash is good? Main relay clicks and the fuel pump primes?

If it's turning over fine there's nothing clutch related that would prevent it from starting.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
If the engine is turning over it's not that.

Did you disturb the thermostat ground? ACG fuse under the dash is good? Main relay clicks and the fuel pump primes?

If it's turning over fine there's nothing clutch related that would prevent it from starting.
Possibly could have disturbed the ground taking the starter out..going to double check the connection when I get home. ACG fuse is good yes main relay clicks and I hear my loud walbro pump going also fuel pressure gauge shows pressure. Also cams are turning so timing belt has to be good.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im getting fuel, getting air, and getting spark. And the motor is turning over. I dont get it has to be something really stupid.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has to be something on/in the dizzy
Old 04-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any CEL ?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

... did you remove the spark plug wire? if they are not in the correct order the car will not start ,crank over, with spark and fuel.... firing order is 1-3-4-2... the back upper post on the dizzy is 1 which is the cylinder closest to the timing belt( longest plug wire)
Old 04-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No check engines. Did triple check of the firing order also. Will update tomorrow when I triple check my grounds and wires. Worst case scenario the tranny comes back off and I re-do everything.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot to plug my dizzy back in the other day. Engine turned and turned by would not crank. Did not throw a code either.

I agree that anything clutch related would not stop the engine from cranking. The only exception is that the clutch safety switch (or plastic piece that pushes the switch) will prevent the engine from turning over at all....but yours turns over...that has been ruled out.

Theoretically, I cannot understand why any closed-loop sensor would prevent cranking...even if they are crossed into wrong sensors or unplugged.

I guess my only suggestion is to check the distributor and make sure you installed it correctly (not 180degrees out??), make sure everything is in place with no broken wires, and make CERTAIN that you plugged in the 2 connectors outside the distributor cap. I don't know if you will have spark if they are unplugged, but I think you do....it's just not timed correctly while unplugged???
Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm_rb20
I forgot to plug my dizzy back in the other day. Engine turned and turned by would not crank. Did not throw a code either.

I agree that anything clutch related would not stop the engine from cranking. The only exception is that the clutch safety switch (or plastic piece that pushes the switch) will prevent the engine from turning over at all....but yours turns over...that has been ruled out.

Theoretically, I cannot understand why any closed-loop sensor would prevent cranking...even if they are crossed into wrong sensors or unplugged.

I guess my only suggestion is to check the distributor and make sure you installed it correctly (not 180degrees out??), make sure everything is in place with no broken wires, and make CERTAIN that you plugged in the 2 connectors outside the distributor cap. I don't know if you will have spark if they are unplugged, but I think you do....it's just not timed correctly while unplugged???
You sir.. Are correct. Pulled the distributor couldn't believe what I saw. Someone know how in the hell this happend?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by K PORT
Someone know how in the hell this happend?
You jammed the distributor on 180° out of time. That two pronged to drive is offset a bit to prevent this from happening, you really need to force it pretty hard to get it on wrong.

You'll need to get another drive, you can get one used from any OBD1/OBD2 D or B-series distributor. Make sure you orient it the same way as the original.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
You jammed the distributor on 180° out of time. That two pronged to drive is offset a bit to prevent this from happening, you really need to force it pretty hard to get it on wrong.

You'll need to get another drive, you can get one used from any OBD1/OBD2 D or B-series distributor. Make sure you orient it the same way as the original.
Gotcha.. Thanks for all your help man I would have still probably been stumped

Quick Reply: Car not starting after clutch and throwout bearing job