Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car never smoked till i put a S2 mani, a 4-1header and a FPR. Car smokes! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car never smoked till i put a S2 mani, a 4-1header and a FPR. Car smokes! HELP!

got a 94 eg hatch

bought a obd1 gsr swap from ana trade.

didnt do nothing at first but water pump and timing belt.

bone stock gsr was in the car for about 2 months NEVER SMOKED ONCE!

always used mobil 1 extended performance .(only had 2 oil changes since motor was in)

pulled the motor out this past weekend. put my brand new skunk 2 pro series manifold on, my brand new aem fuel pressure regulator, my act 6 puck clutch and pressure plate and my jdm type r 4-1 header.

i have an apexi n1 catback exhaust.

----------------- noticed a smell about a day or two after the motor was back in. like a burning smell, my buddy drove it and said it smoked the first time he got on it.

im starting to see smoke in the higer rpms/vtec.

cant tell if its white or black

little bit of black resedue on bumper but the smoke looks white

motor should have less than 50,000 miles on it

didnt have a CEL after parts and motor were in and on. motors been running since saturday night and noticed the smoke yesterday evening

always run 93 octane

HELP

is it piston rings?
what could it be?
fuel pressure?
injectors?

?????????????????????????

just relaized i missed something.

WHEN TAKING OFF MY STOCK MANIFOLD I REMEBER I COULD GET A VACUUM HOSE OF THE MANI. AS I PULLED IT OFF IT CAME OF SMOOTH. I LOOKED AT THE VACUUM THAT WAS GIVING ME TROUBLE AND ..

ITS UP UNDERNEATH THE STOCK GSR MANI AND IT GOES TO A CANISTER/BLACK BOX LOOKING THING ON THE BACK OF THE BLOCK THATS RIGHT NEAR THE T BRACKET

ON THE SIDE OF THE HOSE THE CONNECTS TO THIS BOX.CANISTER THING THERE A BROWN ELBOW LOOKING THING THAT POPS INTO THE TOP OF THE BLACK BOX THING.

WELL I JUST LOOKED AT MY GSR MANI AND THE HOSE AND ELBOW THING IS STILL ON IT

I NEVER BUT IT ON THE S2 MANI

SO THAT MEANS WHATEVER THAT BLACK BOX THING IS, IT HAS A WHOLE IN TOP FROM THAT HOSE.

WHAT DO I DO? WHAT IS IT? WHERE DOES CONNECT TO ON MY STOCK MANI

I CAN HAVE PICTURES UP TONIGHT OF THE MANI, AND EVERYTHING ELSE THE WAY IT SITS NOW. HELP!

PCV?

Modified by 94eg5squadMD at 12:59 PM 10/22/2007
Old 10-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car never smoked till i put a S2 mani, a 4-1header and a FPR. Car smokes! HELP! (94eg5squadMD)

Gasket???
Old 10-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whats the fuel pressure set at now since you added the regulator?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Car never smoked till i put a S2 mani, a 4-1header and a FPR. Car smokes! HELP! (kaiba)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaiba &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gasket???</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2. This happens all the time when people incorrectly install intake manifolds and their gaskets. Also, putting a fuel pressure regulator on an otherwise stock engine is just asking for bad gas mileage and sooty residue on your bumper.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car never smoked till i put a S2 mani, a 4-1header and a FPR. Car smokes! HELP! (kaiba)

replaced the manifold and tb. gasket., new vlave cover gasket, new exhaust manifold gasket.

would a gasket make smoke?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cbustuner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cbustuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats the fuel pressure set at now since you added the regulator?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car never smoked till i put a S2 mani, a 4-1header and a FPR. Car smokes! HELP! (94eg5squadMD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cbustuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats the fuel pressure set at now since you added the regulator?</TD></TR></TABLE>

fuel pressure is set a 40psi

ive always had a fuel pressure gauge but not a fpr.

once i put the fpr on i started the car for the first time and it was at 40psi
didnt even need to adjust the fuel pressure which i thought was wierd.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

x2. This happens all the time when people incorrectly install intake manifolds and their gaskets. Also, putting a fuel pressure regulator on an otherwise stock engine is just asking for bad gas mileage and sooty residue on your bumper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont think i incorrectly installed my manifold.

i used a brand new gasket. put the mani on tight. tightened all bolts and nuts down.

used a brand new tb gasket as well

if the gasket and/or manifold was on wrong would air come out in between the head and mani?

gaskets would cause white smoke to come out oft the back of my car/muffler
Old 10-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you use the proper torquing sequence? did you reinstall the PCV system correctly?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe your motor just burns oil now. It happens. It might just be a co-incidence. A lot of people say that Mobil1 burns in hondas easier than Royal purple. I've never had a problem with my B series motors or my F20C burning any oil at all ever. My couple of my D series burned it pretty bad.

Check your oil level every now and then. If it went down significantly, and the oil is not leaking, then it's probably burning.

If you're getting bad gas mileage, then it's probably just running rich.

Do you have a catalytic converter?

Did you just buy your APEX'i N1 exhaust? Mandrel bent exhausts have oil reside from the ***** of the mandrel bender. This will burn off. New exhaust components will also give off a burning smell.

Im guessing your header is used.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (daidilus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daidilus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you use the proper torquing sequence? did you reinstall the PCV system correctly?</TD></TR></TABLE>

didnt kno it was torqing sequence. $hit. what is it. and what does that do? what would it do if i didnt do it?&gt;

and whats the pcv?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe your motor just burns oil now. It happens. It might just be a co-incidence. A lot of people say that Mobil1 burns in hondas easier than Royal purple. I've never had a problem with my B series motors or my F20C burning any oil at all ever. My couple of my D series burned it pretty bad.

Check your oil level every now and then. If it went down significantly, and the oil is not leaking, then it's probably burning.

If you're getting bad gas mileage, then it's probably just running rich.

Do you have a catalytic converter?

Did you just buy your APEX'i N1 exhaust? Mandrel bent exhausts have oil reside from the ***** of the mandrel bender. This will burn off. New exhaust components will also give off a burning smell.

Im guessing your header is used.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

getting the smae gas mileage i have been but yet again its only been 2 days

no catalytic converter, i got a skunk 2 test pipe

and kno the axpexi test pipe back exhaust was used

and yes my header is used

if i may ask.

why would u ask about my header being used? just curious

and also about the cat. converter?

just trying to learn

so this isnt the piston rings? isnt that the normal smoking ang burning oil issue. ??????
Old 10-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94eg5squadMD)

just relaized i missed something.

WHEN TAKING OFF MY STOCK MANIFOLD I REMEBER I COULD GET A VACUUM HOSE OF THE MANI. AS I PULLED IT OFF IT CAME OF SMOOTH. I LOOKED AT THE VACUUM THAT WAS GIVING ME TROUBLE AND ..

ITS UP UNDERNEATH THE STOCK GSR MANI AND IT GOES TO A CANISTER/BLACK BOX LOOKING THING ON THE BACK OF THE BLOCK THATS RIGHT NEAR THE T BRACKET

ON THE SIDE OF THE HOSE THE CONNECTS TO THIS BOX.CANISTER THING THERE A BROWN ELBOW LOOKING THING THAT POPS INTO THE TOP OF THE BLACK BOX THING.

WELL I JUST LOOKED AT MY GSR MANI AND THE HOSE AND ELBOW THING IS STILL ON IT

I NEVER BUT IT ON THE S2 MANI

SO THAT MEANS WHATEVER THAT BLACK BOX THING IS, IT HAS A WHOLE IN TOP FROM THAT HOSE.

WHAT DO I DO? WHAT IS IT? WHERE DOES CONNECT TO ON MY STOCK MANI

I CAN HAVE PICTURES UP TONIGHT OF THE MANI, AND EVERYTHING ELSE THE WAY IT SITS NOW. HELP!

PCV?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's the PCV system and valve. Not hooking that up could indeed cause a few problems.

Also, if you didn't get every piece of the original IM gasket off the head and if you didn't torque the manifold down in proper sequence and to the proper torque specs, you probably invited a leak somewhere. It happens when people like you go too fast and don't read the proper instructions.

Do you have cams and higher compression pistons and a built head to take advantage of that huge intake manifold or are you just putting it on because you figure it'll make more power? I hope you like surprises, lol
Old 10-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's the PCV system and valve. Not hooking that up could indeed cause a few problems.

Also, if you didn't get every piece of the original IM gasket off the head and if you didn't torque the manifold down in proper sequence and to the proper torque specs, you probably invited a leak somewhere. It happens when people like you go too fast and don't read the proper instructions.

Do you have cams and higher compression pistons and a built head to take advantage of that huge intake manifold or are you just putting it on because you figure it'll make more power? I hope you like surprises, lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

so where does that pcv and hose hook up to my s2 manfiold

and i did get every piece of the old gasket off im sure of that.

im guna check for a leak

and i dont have cams or pistons.

i wanted to get rid of the secondaries and its the first thing most people do to a gsr plus i got an s2 manifold for 100$ brand new.

what do u mean surprises?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg5squadMD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

getting the smae gas mileage i have been but yet again its only been 2 days

no catalytic converter, i got a skunk 2 test pipe

and kno the axpexi test pipe back exhaust was used

and yes my header is used

if i may ask.

why would u ask about my header being used? just curious

and also about the cat. converter?

just trying to learn

so this isnt the piston rings? isnt that the normal smoking ang burning oil issue. ??????</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was asking if your header was used since new exhaust parts that are mandrel bent will have oil residue on the inside of them. New exhaust parts usually smoke and make a burning smell.

You need to put your cat back on.

Your test pipe, which makes your car smell and sound like **** is probably also causing the soot and smoke. It probably makes maybe 1hp more than the stock cat. Just put the cat back on. Breathing &gt; hp.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg5squadMD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so where does that pcv and hose hook up to my s2 manfiold

and i did get every piece of the old gasket off im sure of that.

im guna check for a leak

and i dont have cams or pistons.

i wanted to get rid of the secondaries and its the first thing most people do to a gsr plus i got an s2 manifold for 100$ brand new.

what do u mean surprises?</TD></TR></TABLE>

For the PCV hose to hook up to the skunk2 manifold:

You see the big vacuum nipple right in the center of the manifold? Well you have to get a T junction. Then splice your EVAP line and your PCV line into the T junction. The third leg of the T junction goes into the big vacuum nipple on your manifold.

The "surprise" is that the S2 manifold does not make much more power than the stock manifold. I have one on my GSR. Unless you have big compression, and big cams or a turbo or whatever other big airflow mods, the S2 manifold doesn't do much for you. It does, however, a little bit of top end power. So it's a good deal for $100.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was asking if your header was used since new exhaust parts that are mandrel bent will have oil residue on the inside of them. New exhaust parts usually smoke and make a burning smell.

You need to put your cat back on.

Your test pipe, which makes your car smell and sound like **** is probably also causing the soot and smoke. It probably makes maybe 1hp more than the stock cat. Just put the cat back on. Breathing &gt; hp.

For the PCV hose to hook up to the skunk2 manifold:

You see the big vacuum nipple right in the center of the manifold? Well you have to get a T junction. Then splice your EVAP line and your PCV line into the T junction. The third leg of the T junction goes into the big vacuum nipple on your manifold.

The "surprise" is that the S2 manifold does not make much more power than the stock manifold. I have one on my GSR. Unless you have big compression, and big cams or a turbo or whatever other big airflow mods, the S2 manifold doesn't do much for you. It does, however, a little bit of top end power. So it's a good deal for $100.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

where can i get a brand new cat? high flow? the test pipe came on the car not my decision

ok i hooked up the pcv last night. i put the brown pcv on a hose pushed it into the top of the pcv box? or canister? than ran that hose up to the top big nipple on the manifold

whats the evap? wheres that hose at? where does it go? i though 92-95 hatchs dont have evap? isnt that for emissions and if i had it, isnt in on the firewall somewhere.

i have an evap sensor on my harness that is never hooked up if im correct. i researched it when i first put the swap in and ppl told me i dont have an evap?

correct?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what should my fuel psi be at?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg5squadMD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what should my fuel psi be at?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think stock pressure is around 35-38PSI.

Maybe the OBD1 cars didnt have the seperate evap solenoid that I'm thinking of.

You can get a used stock cat for a bolt on deal. You can also go with a QUALITY highflow cat, but you might have to have it welded on. Glad you're going with a cat, though.