Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car intermittenly stalls//bogs (b16 swapped ej6)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car intermittenly stalls//bogs (b16 swapped ej6)

Hi, this could be long but please any help

I recently bought a b16 swapped 1998 civic coupe with a p28 ecu and chrome chip and after having the car 3 weeks (and running very solid) today it has developed a problem. It started when a really tall friend of mine sat in the passenger seat

I go to take off and first was bogging. It would go, then not do anything (rly hard bogging) then catch itself, then bog. After a red light, i was in 2nd gear, went to give it some gas at about 5000rpm and the car stalled. Engine would turn and wouldnt restart. My friend got out and tried to push, but I got it to restart.

Parked in a parking lot and car stalled out again. Friend got out, car restarted, friend got in car stalled. I then told him to ride with a friend lol

So i am driving, about 30 mins in a take a hard left at WOT in 3rd, car gets to around 5200rpm and bogs. I decide to park and thought since my friend was so tall he maybe accidentally kicked the ecu//moved some wires (plastic cover is barely on, ecu and wires are just hanging loose)

With the car running, i moved the ECU wire harness and the car stalled out and didnt wanna restart. After playing with the wire harness again the car restarted. I then noticed that when i move around the wires or ecu, the big black relay on the right side behind the glovebox clicks (no idea what the relay is and if this is normal)

So I taped all the wires together, to the ecu as 1 big unit so nothing could move around, put the ecu back and drove home

After cruising on the highway a good 30 mins, I exit off and as im slowing down, car stalls out and doesnt want to restart. I shake the ecu wire harness and it starts

I dont know if playing with the ECU harness is a coincidence or if there is actually a problem

Will most likely drop the car off at a garage next week sometime but I would like to try and take a look at what it could be tommorow, but don't know what to look for?

CLIFF NOTES- Car begun randomly bogging/stalling without wanting to restart. Play with ECU wire harness car starts. Don't know if thats a coincidence or problem
Old 06-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Car intermittenly stalls//bogs (b16 swapped ej6)

The click is coming from the main relay to the right of the glove box.

The simple short answer is that you need to redo those hanging wires.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
The click is coming from the main relay to the right of the glove box.

The simple short answer is that you need to redo those hanging wires.
is the main relay supposed to click? if not what does it mean that i clicks when i start to flip the ecu or jiggle the wires?

and do you think it could just be a cut//no good wire somewhere?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, the main relay should click when it works.

You need to start by carefully inspecting all those hanging wires for bad splicing. All cut-and-spliced wires should be soldered and shrink-wrap insulated.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you. i will start taking off all the tape and check it out