Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car idles really low or shuts off...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car idles really low or shuts off...

i have a b20 swapped hatch and since a week ago it's either been idling at around 100 rpm or it just shuts off.
what can be causing this???

thanks in advance
Old 02-13-2007, 02:06 PM
CE1

Default Re: car idles really low or shuts off... (lowRIDAH)

it is probably messed up. i would try popping the hood first. the hood realse is located on the underdash to the left. may you could call someone to come hold your hand.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car idles really low or shuts off... (nonvtecek9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecek9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it is probably messed up. i would try popping the hood first. the hood realse is located on the underdash to the left. may you could call someone to come hold your hand.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, you see this is why i get all edgy, because of *** wipe noobs like this one.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lowRIDAH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a b20 swapped hatch and since a week ago it's either been idling at around 100 rpm or it just shuts off.

thanks in advance</TD></TR></TABLE>

being that you just swapped the b20 into your car, sometimes from sitting around the pcv valve gets clogged. spend the $3 and replace it. a bad pcv valve will also cause this problem.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car idles really low or shuts off... (nonvtecek9)

no need to be a douche there.

and 100 rpm is impossible btw.. it'll likely die at anything below 450. don't look at your gauge for that since it's off anyway.

I noticed you live in Toronto where it's cold. Does stalling happen when just starting it, or after it's been running? If it's on startup, I'd suspect the idle air control valve is stuck closed. Your engine is probably flooding itself because of the cold temps, but it's not getting enough air.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:35 PM

yeah my car has done this lately too. and it only happes when im comming to a stop like when its in nutral and im slowin down to a stop and my rpm guage just drops or my car will stall out and not sure why
Old 02-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lowRIDAH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a b20 swapped hatch and since a week ago it's either been idling at around 100 rpm or it just shuts off.

thanks in advance</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh wow, this is the same prob im having with my LS motor...does this only happen when the motor is cold???because mine does the same and i have to give it a bit of gas and hold it for like a minute till it gets a bit warm i guess....and as it gets warm it starts to idle at normal RPM's...i've created a thread about it too a while ago and no one was able to help me out...all i got was to clean my FITV but that didnt help

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
being that you just swapped the b20 into your car, sometimes from sitting around the pcv valve gets clogged. spend the $3 and replace it. a bad pcv valve will also cause this problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you think this might be my prob as well???lets say its clogged, can i clean it out like if i was cleaning my FITV?
Old 02-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car idles really low or shuts off... (B18CivicEg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CivicEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you think this might be my prob as well???lets say its clogged, can i clean it out like if i was cleaning my FITV?</TD></TR></TABLE>

mmmm...i want to say no. i know oil and grime gets in there. i don't know how effective it will be if you tried that. being that they are only $3, i just went ahead and replaced mine.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car idles really low or shuts off... (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

mmmm...i want to say no. i know oil and grime gets in there. i don't know how effective it will be if you tried that. being that they are only $3, i just went ahead and replaced mine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

coo...i'll try that...i can get this at like autozone right???

also, my motor doesnt have the Purge Solenoid on the IM and so the vacuum line that goes there isnt hook up...neither is the one on the TB but the one on the TB is capped closed...you think lack of Purge Solenoid can cause this idle prob too?thanks in advance yo..
Old 02-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CivicEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

coo...i'll try that...i can get this at like autozone right???

also, my motor doesnt have the Purge Solenoid on the IM and so the vacuum line that goes there isnt hook up...neither is the one on the TB but the one on the TB is capped closed...you think lack of Purge Solenoid can cause this idle prob too?thanks in advance yo..</TD></TR></TABLE>

don't know much about purge solenoids, but i know for sure that you can pick up the pcv valve at autozone, pep boys, advanced auto, etc.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't know much about purge solenoids, but i know for sure that you can pick up the pcv valve at autozone, pep boys, advanced auto, etc.</TD></TR></TABLE>

f'sho...now, what exactly does PCV valve stand for???i been searching on t to see where the location is and i see that its below the IM correct???
Old 02-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.thehondapartsstore....ch=no

http://www.thehondapartsstore....ch=no

click on these links, it'll show you where the valve is located.

as for the meaning not sure, sorry.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

aight yo, good lookin out...imma look into it...
Old 02-13-2007, 03:29 PM

yeah he has a great point, pcv valve, or even simply your idle is set to low, doubtful, and make sure your iacv is hooked up in back, i have seen it unhooked and wirerd wrogn and new seems to work out well
Old 02-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as for the meaning not sure, sorry.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Positive Crankcase Ventilation
Old 02-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was reading thru my Integra Service Manual, and it says that the PCV is designed to prevent blow-by gases from excaping to the atmosphere...it didnt mention anything about idle....so im not sure if this might be the problem...
Old 02-13-2007, 06:17 PM

thanks a lot guys.
imma try changing the pcv valve

when the car is cold i'll have to crank it a few times for the car to stay even if i give it a bit of gas but when the car is warm i'll give it gas and it'll stay on
Old 02-13-2007, 06:18 PM

btw, this just started happening in the past week but i've had the swap for over a year now
Old 02-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lowRIDAH)

as for your pcv valve yes it could definately cause this problem... its only 3-4 bux dude its worth changing even if it isnt the problem..

also check your wiring harness. my b20 ekhatch did the same thing and it was my tps coming loose.

does it always do this or just alot when its cold??
Old 02-13-2007, 07:02 PM

Maybe you can try cleaning out your IACV. If that doesn't work you could possibly have a vacuum leak somewhere.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (macrohard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by macrohard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe you can try cleaning out your IACV. If that doesn't work you could possibly have a vacuum leak somewhere.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wouldnt this cause idle problems AFTER warm up???

even then, its good to clean it out just to know its clean...
Old 02-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18CivicEg)

yeah cleaning out your iacv wouldnt hurt neither. what year hatch is this/??????
Old 02-13-2007, 09:13 PM
CE1

Default Re: (happyabortion)

it could be your spark plugs, if the pvc doesn't work i would try that next. btw sorry about being an ******* i was born that way, but at least it got someone to pay attention to your tread.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:49 AM

it's a 96 hatch.
is changing the PCV valve difficult?

i don't know if this is a dumb question but is it the same part for all b-series or do i need one that's b20 specific?
Old 02-14-2007, 07:26 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: (lowRIDAH)

When I first started up my swap, it had a bad IACV (idle air control valve). This caused the motor to idle extremely low and sometimes die if I didn't lower the throttle very slowly with my foot. I unbolted the IACV from the manifold, but left it connected to the coolant lines. I sprayed simple green into the two holes until the fluid was no longer dirty coming out. Once it was dry I shot some WD40 into the holes, wiped it clean, and reinstalled it. It started working again and allows the car to idle like normal. Only problem is that warm-up still has a hunting idle. I think it still may be gunked up a little causing the valve to be slow. I don't get a high idle during warm-up. I think I'm gonna try it again with some carb cleaner.

Please keep in mind that I have a ITR motor with which doesn't have a FITV (fast-idle thermo valve).
Old 02-14-2007, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (94eg!)

how is the oil level in your car?

seriously, my car idles bad if the oil is low.

Quick Reply: car idles really low or shuts off...