Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car is handling better today (warm day=less rattles)...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 12:20 PM
EGO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car is handling better today (warm day=less rattles)...

Just wanted to add this in case someone goes searching for why there stripped car rattles worse than a can of bolts. Well it's because it is a can of BOLTS! No, but really, I noticed my car sounded, and handled better just driving around town today. By sound, I mean there aren't as many creaks, and rattles as there are on a cold day. I think the reason for this is due to the suspension bushings on my car being warmer from the weather and thus more supple, flexible and generally more adherent to their contact surfaces. In contrast, on a colder day than today the car is annoyin to say the least. So if anyone cares, and I really don't know how this would be done, warmer bushings equal a better, more comfortable ride. The increase in comfort is self explanitory, but to go into more detail about the better handling I'll say this; I noticed an increase in steering response, cornering (70mph heel/toe into 2nd at 45mph into about an 85 degree let hand turn) and also normal straight line driving. As in cruising and feeling connected to the road as apposed to rattly and a sensation that the tires aren't making really good contact when going over bumps/imperfections.

My suspension:
-KYB AGX
-H&R Race springs

My car:
-EH2 95 129,000 mi
-stock everything else

Ant

[Modified by anthony m., 9:23 PM 3/27/2003]

[Modified by anthony m., 9:24 PM 3/27/2003]

[Modified by anthony m., 9:25 PM 3/27/2003]
Old 03-27-2003, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car is handling better today (warm day=less rattles)... (anthony m.)

I Think you may be CraZy?!
Old 03-27-2003, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car is handling better today (warm day=less rattles)... (anthony m.)

look at the avatar ! totaly crazy !
Old 03-27-2003, 01:12 PM

Default Re: car is handling better today (trav)

when metal is cold, it contracts, leaving more room for small gaps in your suspension. gaps lead to rattling. urithaine also hardens in colder weather, which means that it has less shock absorbtion benifits, resulting in things that normally wouldnt rattle recieveing more stress. so yes, I can completely follow your theory that it is more noisy is cold weather, but I have to agree with everone else that your avatar is weird.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:18 PM

Default Re: car is handling better today (Damon)

oh, and stop with the heel/toe stuff. if you tried to heel/toe drift an FF Honda, you would understeer into a curb. The only driftiing you can really do with any luck in a FF car is an handbrake-initiated overstear, in which case you still lose foward momentum, and dont really hold enuf speed to finish the drift.

Other than a drift initiated by a handbrake, you cant really get it to break the back end loose, unless you have a rear suspension as tight as my suspension, which is damn dangerous for the street. i oversteer on a regular basis, and I dont even heel/toe. It would just cause a loss of control.

Stop watching Initial D.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:21 PM

this is my last post, I swear

as far as the increase in grip, warm concreite is MUCH easier for the tire to grip than cold concriete. even 30 degress of difference can make a huge difference.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:48 PM
EGO

I hear ya on the concrete being warm. And thanks for backing my theory on the warm bushings. But allow me to retort, you know not about heel and toe shifting. Heel and toe for you to file for later use is braking and down shifting simultaneously. That's it. Where you got drifting, I dunno, but before speaking, pause...think, then speak. Heel and toe shifting is safer when approaching a turn and one needs to select the best gear to make for that turn. If you took some of that big brain of yours and chose more accurately, what to comment on you might get somewhere. And Initial D is an ispiration to us all.

PS if I sound deffensive or mad sorry, I'm not

Ant