Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car dies after turning it on

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car dies after turning it on

hey guys ive been having this weird problem with my car. its done it one other time which was last week. wen i go to turn it on it'll die right after, and i then i try again give it gas and it starts to work again like normal. wat could it be?

the car is a 98 ek hatch with b20 swap. and it only happens on really hot days.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car dies after turning it on

I'm having the similar problem w/my '99 Civic. Only in addition to it dying when I start it...it also dies while driving on occaision.

There was a recall for the '97-00 years on the ignition switches being bad. It will cause what you are talking about.

I called this week and gave the local Honda dealership my Vin# and they checked the recall / warranty status and show that the recall work had never been performed on my car. I take it in tomorrow to get it fixed (hopefully) under the recall @ no charge.

If that doesn't fix the problem...I've received suggestions on this forum for the possible solution. My next target fixes are: ICM or the ECU. I'm trying to narrow the fixes by order of least expensive.

DK

Last edited by doneking; 07-29-2010 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Corrected Info
Old 07-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

doneking do you know the details on the recall? I'm having an issue like this. I've never had recall work done, so I'm not sure if there's a recall number or whatever.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try cleaning injectors... that might be a possible problem.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking it could b the iacv. And about cleaning my injectos, I use Lucas infector cleaner every oil change. I might have to do some research on that recall u mentioned
Old 07-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car has been doing this everyonce in awhile aswell. also it will even stall out sometimes while driving and i stop at a red light, the idle will drop soo low itll stall too.idk what the prob is..
Old 07-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's the letter Honda sent out:

Summer 2002

Important Safety Recall: Ignition Switch

Dear Accord, Civic, CR-V, Odyssey or Prelude Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

What is the reason for this notice?
Honda Motor Co., Ltd., has determined that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in the ignition switch on certain 1997 thru 2000 Honda automobiles. Electrical contacts in the ignition switch can wear prematurely due to high electrical current passing through the switch. Worn out ignition contacts could cause the engine to stall without warning. Although the engine will restart in most cases, if your engine stalls while driving in traffic or at highway speeds, you're at risk of being involved in a crash. Difficulties starting the engine (for example, hard-to-start, stalls immediately after starting, etc.) may indicate that the ignition switch is failing.

What should you do?
Call any authorized Honda dealer, and make an appointment to have your vehicle repaired. The dealer will install an improved ignition switch, free of charge. Please plan to leave your vehicle at the dealership for half a day to allow the dealer flexibility in scheduling.

Who to contact if you experience problems.
If you are not satisfied with the service you receive from your Honda dealer, you may write to:

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

If you believe that American Honda or the dealer has failed or is unable to remedy the defect in your vehicle, without charge, within a reasonable period of time (60 days from the date you first contact the dealer for a repair appointment), you may submit a complaint to:

Administrator
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
400 Seventh Street, SW
Washington, DC 20590

Or call the toll-free Safety Hotline at (888) 327-4236.

What to do if you feel this notice is in error.
Our records show that you are the current owner or lessee of a Honda vehicle involved in this recall. If this is not the case, or the name/address information is incorrect, please fill out and return the included, postage-paid Information Change Card. We will then update our records.

If you paid to have a defective ignition switch replaced sometime in the past, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Refer to the attached Instructions for Reimbursement for eligibility requirements and the reimbursement procedure.

If you have questions.
If you have questions about this notice, or need assistance with contacting a Honda dealer, please call Automobile Customer Service at (800) 999-1009.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Sincerely,

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Division

Here is one of the recall notices posted on NHTSA boards.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 02V120000
Date Owner's Notified: 2002-06-14 Date Received by ODI: 2002-05-16 Date Added to Database: 2002-05-20
Manufacturers Involved: HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)
Manufacturer's Responsible for the Recall:
Manufacturer Campaign Number:
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 1000000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN SEDANS, COUPES, HATCHBACKS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, ELECTRICAL CONTACTS IN THE IGNITION SWITCH CAN DEGRADE DUE TO THE HIGH ELECTRICAL CURRENT PASSING THROUGH THE SWITCH WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED.
Consequence:
WORN CONTACTS COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL WITHOUT WARNING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JUNE 14, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.
Report Initiator: MFR V Report
Regulation Part Number: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number:
Notes:
CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT '1-888-327-4236'.

Hope this helps.

DK
Old 07-29-2010, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For doneking and possibly OP. it's a long shot, but it could be your TPS sensor. On my gsr, my TPS sensor was at a wrong position, so the car was reading the position of the Throttle wrong. Which resulted in similar problems OP and doneking stated. To roughly adjust the TPS, i loosen the two bolts that holds the TPS and while the motor is running, i adjusted the TPS around to hit the sweet spot.
Hopefully this will help.

CK
Old 07-29-2010, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KangBanger
...it's a long shot, but it could be your TPS sensor. On my gsr, my TPS sensor was at a wrong position, so the car was reading the position of the Throttle wrong. Which resulted in similar problems OP and doneking stated. To roughly adjust the TPS, i loosen the two bolts that holds the TPS and while the motor is running, i adjusted the TPS around to hit the sweet spot.
Hopefully this will help.

CK
I appreciate the info. I hope that the fix is with the bad ignition switch. Obviously that is the cheapest expense (free).

I hate guessing at a diagnoses, but when it doesn't cause any CEL's to come on...it makes diagnosing it hard.

I should pick my car up from the dealer today. I don't know how long I'll have to go to determine if the issue is resolved, because it is so intermittent. Sometimes I can go 2-3 weeks before it acts up. It is really frustrating.

DK
Old 07-29-2010, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

If the ignition switch is bad, the dash warning lights would be off when the engine stalls. If they are on, look elsewhere.

OP, any CEL codes? Start by cleaning the IACV, as well as the FITV if you have one.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
If the ignition switch is bad, the dash warning lights would be off when the engine stalls. If they are on, look elsewhere.

OP, any CEL codes? Start by cleaning the IACV, as well as the FITV if you have one.
When mine dies on me this is what happens. I have no CEL's, dummy lights or anything. It's exactly as if I have turned my car off. Maybe after today I'll be cured.

Thanks for everyone's help. I've got a thread on this issue myself and when I've determined that my car is fixed...I'll update the post that I started in hopes it will help others too.

DK
Old 07-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no cels. i think its the iacv, its been cleaned but its been about 8 months now, so ill try that.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if your out of warranty the recall is not going to get fixed at no charge sad to say
Old 07-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
if your out of warranty the recall is not going to get fixed at no charge sad to say
It all depends on your dealership's service department. I'm the 4th owner of the '99 Civic that I took in and since the work had never been performed they took care of it @ no charge. This car has 103k on it and is way out of warranty.

The Service Mgr. told me they were supposed to fix it regardless of age, # of owners, etc. @ no charge because it is a safety issue. However, they only have to perform the work one (1) time on each particular vehicle.

I know all dealerships are different on how well their customer service it though...

You can go here https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login....d%5Fhome%2Easp and enter you VIN# to see if the warranty work has been performed on your vehicle.

DK