Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car died, no start, ecu fuse blown

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car died, no start, ecu fuse blown

So, first let me say we are having an awesome snow storm and of course my car would pick today on the way to work to break down on me. 60 dollar tow bill later!!!

98 civic four door, more or less stock, just my daily driver.

So, this really starts about a month ago. On break at work take off, and the car feels like it hits a wall, basically a rev limiter. It would last for a 1/2 second, and the cel would flickr. I got home that day swapped distributors and it didn't do it again for a while. Then just within the last week it started again, very random, very short, not linked to anything. So, car runs fine, i'm not about to keep throwing parts at it, never stalled, until this morning. I'm guessing it went to do the stutter again, and this time car is dead. Coast to a stop, call the pops, he comes out, while waiting i swap back to my other dizzy, but nothing. I then realize i have no fuel pump. So, tow truck ride home, some diagnosing, and realize the ecu fuse, or FI em fuse as it's listed on the top under the hood, is blown.

So, now my question is, obviously i have it fixed and running, but why did it blow. I'm asking your opinions as to weather it was just a bad fuse, i have had a loose one before, hard to find the problem when they are just loose. Thats the only thing i can think, since everytime it stuttered it was basicaly blowing the fuse, but then reconnecting.

I've done some research, and have a few things i can look into wiring wise, but it's not a continious short, if it was at all, as it is running right now.

So, opinions, ideas, whatever, i am up for listening, as i would like the car not to leave me stranded again. P.s. i hate winter