Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car Broken into - Stolen Alpine IVA-D105 HU in Las Vegas - Acura 1.6EL

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Broken into - Stolen Alpine IVA-D105 HU in Las Vegas - Acura 1.6EL

I have been here in Vegas for only a few days and yesterday decided to leave the hotel and drive to the Las Vegas Premium Outlets off of I-15 exit 41B. We went shopping for maybe 2 hours, come back to the car and the steering wheel is on the seat and my Alpine IVA-D105 head unit stolen, though looks like he forgot to look around and take the remote so I still have that.

Car seemed to be stuck in the ON position, I tried putting the key in the ignition to turn it off but it wouldn't turn off. The engine wasn't turned over, the car was just in the ON position. I just disconnected the battery terminal connections so it wouldn't drain my battery. I guess I should be thankful the guy didn't break the window, if anyone has some shops to recommend in the Las Vegas area I'd appreciate it since I'm long way from home at this point.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: Car Broken into - Stolen Alpine IVA-D105 HU in Las Vegas - Acura 1.6EL

Honestly - who steals radios anymore?!?! How much could you pawn that off for - $100? Maybe less??

I have some EL steering cowling covers for you if yours are broken... yes, in black, like your OEM ones are. I'm no expert but if the key won't turn it's probably b/c the ignition key cylinder is broken (due to screwdriver being forced in). Any 96-00 Civic key cylinder from a junker will do to replace it but to get it to open with your orig key you'll need to follow a variation on this DIY: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/diy-fixing-doorlocks-open-any-key-2237857/

I'm gonna says your SRS clock spring is ****ed, too. Provided it runs and drives you can probably do all the work when you get home, though it's pretty annoying you can't turn it off, hah.

PS. +1 for being an American(?) driving an EL. You're a rare breed. I see it's the full leather interior, too, with heated seats.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Car Broken into - Stolen Alpine IVA-D105 HU in Las Vegas - Acura 1.6EL

PPS. If your climate control cowling is broken there's one on eBay right now. Sorry I don't have access to one of them super cheap a.t.m.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good thing they take the entire vehicle and just minor theft. Hopefully it works out for you. Damn Vegas Thieves.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I feel for ya my 99 just got broken into over the weekend and they took my radio, and garmin gps. They tried to get in by prying the trunk open but that didn't work so they ripped off the passenger side door handle. I have a big hole in the dash same as you. The trunk lid is all bent up and won't open and also the door doesn't work either and the lock is messed up on the driver's side too and doesn't work properly.

I do have $250 deductible on my insurance and obviously the body damage will be more than that. The guy is coming tomorrow to look at it and he wants a copy of the receipt for the gps so hopefully I'll be getting reimbursed for that.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

these are as easily stolen as a civic or integra. be glad. it had to be an amateur or an unknowing kid. especially having the vtec, a more valuable front end, deck lid, misc parts that fit everything.

as far as parts go, everything is interchangeable from the 96 to 00 civics.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and it loks like you will need a complete steering column.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long you going to be in Vegas? I gotta a good friend who lives in Vegas and can ask who they would recommend for repairs(enough to get it roadworthy) for you.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm about 2000 miles away from home (aka ATL GA) and was planning on going to CA next week or so but might move that to next month. I don't care about the hu, more concerned about the steering column/clamshell and the key cylinder is broken but it's also at some weird angle notice how close it is to the windshield wiper lever. There is also some plastic piece that's broken that seems to conect the steering wheel to the column if you look at the end of the steering wheel in the pic below.

@deschlong, the climate control seems to be fine aside from the lower piece being broken but I should be able to make it work for now. Though I will probably need some parts to get it roadworthy. I haven't seen any around Atlanta since '06 which was when I bought, makes me feel special, until it got broken into, heh

@bankonyourself, I just put new RE960A/S tires on it last week as well, glad the car wasn't stolen.

@Kista20, Sorry to hear about your incident I think my body damage should be minimal since I'm assuming they just pried their way through the drive side door. I just wish they didn't mess around with the steering or ignition because now I can't drive the car or even turn it off.

@xero_xero, I'm thinkign the same thing complete steering column, are those interchangible within all years as well just need to make sure they have cruise control and 5speed?

@tlarimer, I'm going to be here for the next two months or so and even if I don't fix the head unit, I have a new one back at home, I definitely need to get the car roadworthy again and would appreciate a recommendation for repairs.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as far as the column goes, if you can get one from an ex 96 to 00, it will have all your need, automatic or not. it will more than likely be grey. as well, it is 4 14mm and 2 10mm to drop the column. if you get a used column, be sure it comes with a key.

funny thing is, i am in atlanta ga. born and live..
Old 05-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a call out, hopefully I will be able to get you a couple good reputable shop names and numbers shortly.

Tim
Old 05-09-2011, 02:26 PM
H-T Basic Sponsor ON HIATUS

im in vegas gimme a call/text ill point ya in the right direction. 702.285.8460
Old 05-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im glad thats all they took man..
Old 05-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My buddy said:
The Car Works on Decatur and Tropicana or 5 Star Auto on West Sahara
Old 05-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i never park at that damn mall...sorry to hear..but i got o a lot of performance shops that might be a bit pricy for something like that... theres a shop called hondoctors out here..their number is 702-639-6333...they might be a bit pricy but theyre great at trouble shooting and always fix the problem. call em and have a talk with them..or hopefully the guy that just posted can point you in a better direction.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Only poor people steal. Don't worry man he's still poor.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tlarimer
My buddy said:
The Car Works on Decatur and Tropicana or 5 Star Auto on West Sahara
^^good shops, if you need any some parts from the junk yard you might want to check out ALL JAPANESE AUTO (702)644-2027 or R & R SALVAGE (702)649-1360 they usually keep a good amount of imports stocked, if you have any moore questions we'll be here to help bro
Old 05-09-2011, 07:18 PM

PM me your address in Vegas and I'll mail these EL steering wheel column (clamshell) covers to you... ie., they are BLACK (not grey). They are just garbage to me, and I'll be happy to have you put them to good use, since you obviously need them. I will send them USPS since I'll be in the ol' USA later this week. The rest of the parts you need to get the steering column back together you can source locally from 96-00 Civics.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what H-T is all about, some enthusiasts helping each other out. It's what keeps me coming back here...
Old 05-09-2011, 08:30 PM

Just to clarify - BLACK covers can't be found in the US... they are specific to the Acura EL in N. America.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turns out insurance is going to claim the car a total loss. I'm waiting to hear back from the adjuster to see what value they come back with. Any suggestions of how I should approach the adjuster if I think the value is low? It's not like there are many comps in the area.
Also, if I buy the car back it'll have a salvage title, if I fix it can I insure it and drive it as long as I document the process? (car is registered in FL) I think I read that I need to fill out some forms at the DMV in FL but I'm in NV with the car and am not going to be back in FL for atleast a month or so.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:44 PM

That's ridiculous - broken steering wheel is a total loss?? What incredible times we live in. No value in getting things fixed - so pathetic.

Well, your column covers are on their way, regardless.

Eric
Old 05-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you decide to get it fixed definately Hondoctors. www.hondoctors.com
Nothing but good things to say about these guys. They can be pricey on some things but know these cars inside and out. They are very honest also. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by frankenghia
If you decide to get it fixed definately Hondoctors. www.hondoctors.com
Nothing but good things to say about these guys. They can be pricey on some things but know these cars inside and out. They are very honest also. Good luck.
Hondoctors is the best, Jerod or Alexi will help you out.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I soo wish you were in atlanta, you would have been up and riding the next day...there is no way there is 4000 worth of damage either. as long as your sitting aroun 150k the value should be aroun 5k.

Quick Reply: Car Broken into - Stolen Alpine IVA-D105 HU in Las Vegas - Acura 1.6EL