Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can't remove Flywheel bolts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:35 AM
official honda whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can't remove Flywheel bolts!!!

Originally Posted by jdmcivicracer89
not 100% possitive since its been a while since i did mine, but arent the bolts a reverse thread???? if so then ur tightening...

no they're not, edit your post to say you were wrong
Old 02-04-2009, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok. i bought the 1/2 inch 17 mm 12 point socket.

It removed most of the bolts, stripped 2 of them ( still in car), plus a third one I didn't even try. Moments like these. . . . can really get a man going on blasphemy.

What the hell do I do with 2 round headed bolts on a flywheel?!?!? I've gone 3 times to the auto parts store. Now I have to go and return the $#(*(#*$ socket cuz its screwed up inside ( it almost looks round). WHAT NOW@?!?!?!?!! * curses blasphemously*

BTW using the socket straight on the impact gun made a world of difference.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as i said im not positive
Old 02-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take it to a mechanic... No offence but they have everything they need to get it off.
I understand it's frusttrating and taking it to a mech defeats the pupose of DIYing it but we all have our strengths and a good mechanic will have the hands-on experience required to help you out.

Other than that, if you stripped the bolt you may going back to autozone or pepboys for a tap and dye set...

Sorry for your ca-ca run of luck with this BTW...I know the feeling, everytime I try to DIY something will bust for which I don't have the right tool or experience etc.

RE: The Travis Cadello posts... OP good look up his posts yourself and make a decision whether or not to listen to him on your own. In the end it;s your car and your choice so you look into it.
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have stripped fllywheel bolts before cause they are super tight.. i have never heated them before, in my life.. i use a good ol breaker bar... i grinded my 17 socket flat to get the bevel out from the edge so the socket would sit flat on the bolt.. held it on real hard and off they came... just an idea.. and i have never had to grind any off
Old 02-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Juan_Mitosis
ok. i bought the 1/2 inch 17 mm 12 point socket.

It removed most of the bolts, stripped 2 of them ( still in car), plus a third one I didn't even try. Moments like these. . . . can really get a man going on blasphemy.

What the hell do I do with 2 round headed bolts on a flywheel?!?!? I've gone 3 times to the auto parts store. Now I have to go and return the $#(*(#*$ socket cuz its screwed up inside ( it almost looks round). WHAT NOW@?!?!?!?!! * curses blasphemously*

BTW using the socket straight on the impact gun made a world of difference.

you do know not to use, stock crome sockets on a impact gun right? they make speacial impact sockets for impact guns. to get the rounded bolts off, a couple ways to do this. go to sears, buy the socket tool to take out rounded bolts. or get a cheap smaller socket, hammer it on the bolt so that it's basically jammed on, and unscrew. just use a hammer to knock the bolt off/out of the socket. use some heat on the socket since you have a torch. repeat on second bolt.

but don't forget to use impact sockets on a impact gun, so don't round out the socket it self
Old 02-04-2009, 10:31 AM

3 stripped bolts. The rest are out. I wish I could stuff the entire car and tools in a bag and just sell it.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 90_EX_Civic
you do know not to use, stock crome sockets on a impact gun right? they make speacial impact sockets for impact guns. to get the rounded bolts off, a couple ways to do this. go to sears, buy the socket tool to take out rounded bolts. or get a cheap smaller socket, hammer it on the bolt so that it's basically jammed on, and unscrew. just use a hammer to knock the bolt off/out of the socket. use some heat on the socket since you have a torch. repeat on second bolt.

but don't forget to use impact sockets on a impact gun, so don't round out the socket it self

too late. Plus they didn't have the impact set.

thanks anyways
Old 02-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

too late. Plus they didn't have the impact set.

thanks anyways

Old 02-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, i have never stripped one because i always heat mine. if not then it most likely will strip.

I had a 4 foot breaker bar and had a friend push the socket while i put all my weight on the 4 foot breaker bar. and it didn't budge. my friends dad saw us and started laughing because we were in his body shop and hes been working on cars all his life and hes the one who showed me the heating method. and it worked so well. just tryin to help out here thats it.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:42 AM
official honda whore

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
well, i have never stripped one because i always heat mine. if not then it most likely will strip.

how can you say that??? i have never, ever stripped a flywheel bolt, a good impact with a good socket and they fly right out of there no heat or special tools needed
Old 02-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EARLdaSQUIRREL
how can you say that??? i have never, ever stripped a flywheel bolt, a good impact with a good socket and they fly right out of there no heat or special tools needed

well,not,everybody,can,afford,or,can,get,ahold,of, a,exspensive,and,strong,impact,gun.

sorry,about,the,commas,but,the,dam,space,bar,is,st icking,lol,noo,its,not,cuz,that,im,at,the,library.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by EARLdaSQUIRREL
Perfectly true.
I did NOT use a socket designed for impact gun. . . hence the problems. The real problem was that I didn't give the socket a chance to cool down. . so it got so hot it became softer and deformed the socket. Just bought a new socket today, gonna give it another go.

Wish me luck!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
well,not,everybody,can,afford,or,can,get,ahold,of, a,exspensive,and,strong,impact,gun.

sorry,about,the,commas,but,the,dam,space,bar,is,st icking,lol,noo,its,not,cuz,that,im,at,the,library.

highlight and right click+copy a space, then just CTRL + V your way through sentences haha.
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

When dealing with flywheel bolts it almost makes sense to buy a socket and cut a little bit off the end (the very end of the socket has a rounded edge on the inside to make it easier to get on the head of the bolt, in the case of the flywheel bolts though the head is so thin it makes this feature undesireable. Just as a side note i've never had any problem removing flywheel bolts with a 1/2 drive ratchet. (I have also done it before with 12 point combination wrenches putting in a clutch for a friend at his house, had no 12 point metric sockets, so I used 17mm combination wrench, then locked a second wrench into the first to make it longer for more leverage, good way to bust your knuckles btw, but it usually works in a pinch.)
Old 02-05-2009, 01:51 PM

Gonna cut the socket tomorrow, and give it a go.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by instructor74
Well the gun might not have enough snot to brake the bolts free but you need to get a socket that will fit the gun without a converter and use a shallow well socket. This will give you the most tourqe out of the gun and might be enough to brake them free. You might also want to try a little heat on them. Also since you are takng the flywheel off to have it resurfaced its a good time to replace the pilot bearing
Heat is the best answer. Works miracles.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the whole thing about people talking about heating the sh*t up. saying its bad, good, blah blah. first, you don't heat the bolt. you heat around it. like someone up there said, heat makes it expand. u want the threads in the whole to expand. not the bolt/threads itself. and also. idk why'd you cool it? there would be no point to even heatin it up. (and made eventually makin it weaker). also, a propane touch is what you should use. acetylene would be too hot. also, about sockets and rounded edges, etc. an impact socket is just stronger. look at it. its twice as thick or more. nothing to do with the end of it. and always try to stay away from using an extension if at all possible.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:23 AM

Shaved socket didn't work. Further stripped bolts. What can I do now???? * cries*
Old 02-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, i just changed my flywheel and clutch...thank god mines just came right out....no spraying on it..no heating....just a nice air gun did the job just fine......
Old 02-06-2009, 10:53 AM

Shaved socket didn't work. Further stripped bolts. What can I do now???? * cries*
Have a stubby bolt welded to the head of the stuck bolts so you have something to put a socket on again, like they would to get off a locking lugnut if you lost the key. That's what I had to do, huge PITA, luckily this was a spare engine and not the one in my car.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a set of these bolt extractors
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2166000P?mv=rr
Old 02-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea man. any means suggested to get it out. do yourself a favor and by some Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant (aka never seize). Put it on every bolt that you ever touch. I worked in multiple garages and in a atv/dirtbike shop too; along with all of my friends and people that i know.... NO ONE USES IT!!!!!!!!! Every one cuts corners, nevers uses never-seize on anything (or silicone one seals, etc for that matter). It gets a lil messy if you get it on your hands or the car, but just wipe it off. It'll pay off every time. (in my opinion its those little things that show who a good/smart mechanic is. you always think ahead, do **** right.)
Old 02-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Cut the heads off the bolts. Remove the flywheel, you should now have 1/2 long pieces of bolts sticking out from the crankshaft, remove with a small pipe wrench or vice grips, buy new bolts from honda.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can try and cut the heads off like stated.
You could try and have someone weld another stubby bolt to the head of the flywheel bolts, if you know anyone with a welder.
You could go to Sears and try those Easy Out sockets, they have ones that are meant for impact guns.
You could try a 16mm or 15mm 12pt impact socket and hammer the sh*t on there.
If all else fails, remove the engine and bring it to a machine shop. He'll have it out in 5 mins.

Quick Reply: Can't remove Flywheel bolts!!!