Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can't open my trunk - '93 Del Sol

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't open my trunk - '93 Del Sol

Yesterday, I popped the trunk with the key as normal, put my bag and stuff in, and took off for an all day party/bbq. I came back to the car to get my bag out, and when I turned the lock, I heard the bar that goes from the lock to the latch fall off.

Now seriously, I can't imagine after 11 years that SOMEONE hasn't had this problem before. And since the '93's have no interior trunk release, and the rear window rolls down, there's no way into the trunk from say the rear "seats" as in ... well, as in just about EVERY other car. But I can't for the life of me find ANYTHING online about how the hell I can go about getting into my trunk. Aside from wanting to retrieve my bag, I'd also like to be able to enjoy the toplessness from removing the targa.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get that trunk open, without having to resort to a crowbar? I'm going to be taking it to a shop tomorrow to see if they can figure it out, but just posting to see if anyone may have come across this and has a "fix".

I know now once I get that bastard open, I'm installing either a manual release in the interior somewhere, or an electronic release mechanism that I can use the AUX button on my key fob for. Or both.

I searched the forums ... it's either hidden by obscure wording, or not present, as the closest I could find was someone asking about popping the hood
Old 06-27-2004, 09:30 PM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: Can't open my trunk - '93 Del Sol (darkwolf_777)

damn that sucks. don't try to remove the rear panels to get to the trunk, because theres no holes there.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this actually happened to a friend of mine he's on h-t his name is jerbear!. He has a 93 del sol and same exact thing happened. We cut a whole in the trunk popped it open and then bought replacement parts at honda and bought a trunk at the junk yard. Before we even did anything he brought his car around to see what people could do but everyone was charging over 400-500 just to check it out
Old 06-28-2004, 10:56 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: Can't open my trunk - '93 Del Sol (DOC.VTEC)

if you have to bust your trunk to get in, now would be a perfect time for a CF trunk.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this happened to me one time. So i cut out the part where the keyhold is at and found that bar and twisted it and popped it open. of course i had to buy a new garnish.

If you can get it open try to get a trunk popper with your trunk that you can hook up to your alarm
Old 06-28-2004, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't open my trunk - '93 Del Sol (hatchi)

Sounds like someone might have been trying to get in your car. Good luck on opening it.

The thing is, it happend to be before, and I just poped out the whole lock. Kinda sucked, but I got in.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:46 PM
foz

Default Re: Can't open my trunk - '93 Del Sol (LilLowEK)

put a sign on your trunk saying JDM TURBO PARTS AND STEREO IN TRUNK and you should find it opened for ya by morning

sorry bout your luck, but ya if you get the lock popped out you can pull on the bar to release it...
Old 06-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't open my trunk - '93 Del Sol (foz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">put a sign on your trunk saying JDM TURBO PARTS AND STEREO IN TRUNK and you should find it opened for ya by morning

sorry bout your luck, but ya if you get the lock popped out you can pull on the bar to release it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha
Old 06-28-2004, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Can't open my trunk - '93 Del Sol (Ajax)

WOW! I have a 93 also and am paranoid about dropping my key in there and then shutting the trunk. I looked on hondaautomotiveparts.com to see how much all the parts to install a manual trunk release cost. The price was a little high so I might get an electronic trunk release from autoloc.com or something.

But if I was you and you end up having to cut something, then DO NOT cut the trunk lid. I would remove the rear int. panels and cut on the "rear firewall i guess it would be called". That way you cant see it with the panels on the int. and as long as you dont drill/cut through the trunk carpet you wont see it there either. Then pop the trunk from inside of it. Good luck bro, keep me posted on how it works out incase I have to do it someday.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:39 PM
MiX
Honda-Tech Member

this happened to me and i looked at all the different ways to do this. First people suggested to go through where the back window is. But there is no holes there. And even if you make one it will not help you. Because the bar is first way to far for u to reach with just your arm and it is behind carpet.

So it came down to it i had to either bend my trunk lid or make a hole. One guy i know used a crow bar to pry the trunk high enough and then use a small saw to saw off the latch. This way is expensive though. you first mess up your trunk and need a new latch, but you also tear up your seals, which are very expensive. You could go through your trunk lid but thats really expensive to replace.

Solution. I personally thought the best way was to go through your tail light. You can pick up taillights for 40 dollars on ebay easily. You have to make sure you got a good dremel tool and patience. It was actually kinda of fun. Just make sure you go through your passenger side tail light. You break your tail light and dremel through the 4 screws in your tail light to get it off and then behind the tail light there is a huge hole. And you are behind the carpet right next to the rod. Yank on the rod and it opens.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MiX)

after you drill through the taillights pick up some JDM altezza taillights y0!!!
Old 06-29-2004, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jerbear!)

saw it open dog!
other alternatives people gave me were to go thru the passenger tail light.. i personally dont like going that route becuase since ull be given a tight space the problem you are encountering with ur trunk might not be attainable physically