Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can't find knocking noise culprit up front (searched everything)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find knocking noise culprit up front (searched everything)

Okay, here's the deal, I bought a car with mods pre-done to it, and I'm having a problem with one noise. btw it has H&R cup kit up front w/ skunk2 camber kit & ITR sway bar.

I have a knocking noise up front, I and my mechanic have searched for this knock while the car is on the hoist and have not been able to replicate the knocking noise while up there. What it sounds like is metal hitting metal, I've checked tie rods, ball joints, bushings, breaks, and axles. Sometimes it does it over jarring bumps, sometimes over no bumps, I've tried jerking the steering wheel around and accelerating hard then letting off, yet I can't replicate it on purpose. My motor is missing the transmission mount, and the front motor mount near the air conditioning pump isn't perfect, but yet if it was motor mounts I would think accelerating then letting off would make it knock then. Also I have an RS*R exmag, and I noticed that there is no flex pipe anywhere in the exhaust, could that make that noise. Anyone out there have a similar experience?

Sorry for the super long post, but any help would be great, thanks.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Can't find knocking noise culprit up front (95 D16 CivicVX)

First things first get the motor mounts in...
Old 01-25-2006, 09:35 AM

check your wheel bearings...i had same prob...huge knocking noise in front like something was gonna fall out...after exhausting all attempts at checking things i thought would be the cause, i took it to honda and they couldn't find what knocking noise was either...they wanted to charge me this and that to just "check" ($200 just to check, heck no)...told them forget it, i'll find it out myself...after driving around a little while longer, my wheel bearings went bad and knocking noise went away...changed wheel bearings and everything ok now...might not be same problem but check anyways...
Old 01-25-2006, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Can't find knocking noise culprit up front (littleblue)

See thing is I don't know if it even is supposed to be on there, does somebody have a picture of an EG with a D16Z6 in it? Speficically right by the front of the car near the rad. This is the motor mount that connects the tranny to the underside of the frame rail. You can kinda see something in this pic

Old 01-25-2006, 12:20 PM

Default Re: (orientalgunz_00)

And I've checked the wheel bearings, they're fine. Thanks though
Old 01-25-2006, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Can't find knocking noise culprit up front (littleblue)

btw, this is the mount I'm missing

Old 01-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** that will make all kinds of noise. Every time you accelerate and decel its gonna make noise and any vibrations will make noise as well. You are missing the bolt it looks like. Get that fixed and see if that fixes the problems.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Can't find knocking noise culprit up front (JeffBro)

that's not my car, I'm saying that the tranny mount you see there is the one that I'm missing.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Can't find knocking noise culprit up front (JeffBro)

Sorry to resurface an old post. But I think I've found the problem, but need someone to confirm this is possible. I think what's happening is my ITR front sway bar is hitting the body above the exhaust. It looks like everytime that I go over a bump where the car dips down and then up again the sway bar goes off of the body and then kind of bumps it when it goes back up. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Cause I've checked everything else, all the bushings, wheel bearings, etc... are all there.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the mounts first! Most important. The exhaust could be affect by the lack of flex, but if you are not running crazy power and torque then I would not thing that it would affect/create a noise.

I could be wrong, but replace the mounts and make sure that all of them are good, then go to the exhaust.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Can't find knocking noise culprit up front (Civichatch2k)

So, after it got ridiculously cold out here (-20f), I didn't really have much of a chance to look at it again, so I bit the bullit and brought it to the local Honda rapeyouship. Luckily I have a cousin that has been a honda mechanic for 20 some years who works there, so I get really good service (for a price). Anyhow, he checked it out, and determined it was a loose subframe, checked the frame for any damage and then tightened it back down, fixing the problem completely. So for anybody who hears clunking coming from the front, make sure to check your subframe as well.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had trhe same problem today and found out that a bolt on my Lower control arm was loose check those but first fix that mount.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:10 AM

What subframe? could you tell me which part? the front frame that holds the headlights, bumper?

I'm experiencing the same kind of clunking noise and my mechanic can't seem to find where the noise is coming from, went for numorous test drives and the noise comes when accelerating, and right when I let off the throttle