Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cant figure out whats damaged on my d16y8

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant figure out whats damaged on my d16y8

Hello ive been out the game for a while sold all my stuff. but ive been using a 98 ex as a daily and its been great. but last week the motor started making a really nasty sound whenever i accelerate. determined its definitely coming from the motor. i checked the oil and it was really low like almost nothing low. filled it up but the noise is still as loud as ever. i parked the car and im using my bike but its quickly getting colder. To me it sounds like its coming from where the valves are on the motor. it was running fine up until this point. i think i might have bent a valve but not sure how that could happen on a perfectly fine non-interference motor that didn't jump timing or have a belt break. im gonna do a compression test and then if it shows issues im gonna pull the head off. does anyone have any other idea what it could be? is it possible i destroyed a bearing in the bottom end and it just sounds like its coming from the top?
Old 10-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Cant figure out whats damaged on my d16y8

fine non-interference motor
First off, Honda's are definitely interference motors.

Second, what troubleshooting have you done so far? it doesn't sound like much yet except inspecting a belt?
Low on oil for prolonged periods of time can cause a menagerie of issues including but not limited to the following
  • Piston slap
  • ******* your bearings up
  • Shitty wearing of cam lobes
  • LMA's not returning quick enough causing valve slap
  • excessive ring wear
  • Many, many more.
Do your compression and leak down test, maybe do an oil change and a flush, inspect what comes out, aka run your fingers through it looking for metal shavings.
Do you have any CEL's showing? does your CEL light work?
Does it rev funny?
Does it accelerate fine but just sounds like dog ****?
Describe the sound better.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vlodato812
Hello ive been out the game for a while sold all my stuff. but ive been using a 98 ex as a daily and its been great. but last week the motor started making a really nasty sound whenever i accelerate. determined its definitely coming from the motor. i checked the oil and it was really low like almost nothing low. filled it up but the noise is still as loud as ever. i parked the car and im using my bike but its quickly getting colder. To me it sounds like its coming from where the valves are on the motor. it was running fine up until this point. i think i might have bent a valve but not sure how that could happen on a perfectly fine non-interference motor that didn't jump timing or have a belt break. im gonna do a compression test and then if it shows issues im gonna pull the head off. does anyone have any other idea what it could be? is it possible i destroyed a bearing in the bottom end and it just sounds like its coming from the top?
same thing happened to mine but it wasn't a Valve it was a bearing on my 4th Rod
Old 10-05-2017, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't describe the sound at all so it could literally be anything.

If you drove the car with low/no oil it could be a spun rod bearing.

Did it lose oil suddenly? How long had it been since the last time you checked?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Even if it just recently lost oil the bearing or bearings could easily go bad if you drive the car without oil. Mostly likely it will be a bearing if you drive the car with low/no oil
Old 10-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Trial User

sorry for the lack of response and info. i ended up holding the engine at 2500 rpm and pulling spark plug by spark plug and the cylinder closest to the passenger side i guess #4 is the issue. as soon as i pull the plug the sound stops almost completely, assuming its rod bearing failure im thinking of doing the job myself with the motor in the car, anyone see any crazy issues with that? ive rebuilt a b18c before and swapped it into another civic. i feel like this shouldn't be THAT difficult. I think removing the oil pan without removing the header might be a problem though. . the second issue is finding out how it got so low on oil so fast yet it seems to be holding it now. maybe i really did go a long time without checking but i feel like i checked not that long ago.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That noise wouldn't go away with removing your spark plug wire.

Actually do some troubleshooting versus shots in the dark and you'll see better results.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The noise wont go away but it should quiet some on the cylinder that has a bad rod bearing. You should also be seeing low oil pressure. Your oil is low because the rings are bad and its burning oil. You need a full rebuild. You can't just swap in new bearings when one spins. When that happens that rod needs refurbishing and all the clearances checked on the crank since there is likely damage to it too.
All assuming it in fact is a rod bearing.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can put money on it being a spun bearing if u bent a valve you wouldn't have compression in that cylinder.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also you can't cut a Honda oem crank