Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cant check code!!!! (need some help)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant check code!!!! (need some help)

okay, so my check engine light came on a few nights ago. I didnt knwo what it could of been, so I went to check it. The grey plug that has the wires in it, under my glovebox, didnt have a black wire with white stripe... it had a black wire with yellow stripe, and a solid black wire, and it had the red wire with the black stripe, I tried both of the black wires that were in the plug, and neither of them worked... so now I'm confused... is there another plug that I'm supposed to plug into...

and its a 93 cx with a D16z6

please help
Old 01-31-2004, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Cant check code!!!! (EGRhatch)

i just did it last weekend in my bros 96+ civic and he has a 2 wire adapter plugged into a green plastic adapter which holds it in place. its located on the top left of his ECU.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/06.php &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

On the passenger side of your car, under the dash beneath the glove box, you will find a green cover above the kickpanel that houses a blue connector that has two wires.

That you need to do is turn the ignition off, and using the piece of wire or paperclip, jump the blue connector so that you connect the two wires together. Basically stick one end of the paperclip or peice of wire into one prong on the connector and stick the other end of the paperclip or wire into the other prong.

Once you have done this, turn the key to the IGN position and watch your CEL light. It will illuminate in a series of flashes.

You will notice that there will be LONG flashes and SHORT flashes. All of the ECU trouble codes are two-digits. LONG flashes determine the TENS digit by the number of times it flashes, and SHORT flashes determine the ONES digit by the number of times it flashes.

ie. LONG-LONG-LONG-SHORT-SHORT-SHORT-SHORT-PAUSE

is the trouble code: 34

3 LONG flashes followed by 4 short flashes, then a long pause. If that is the only code the ECU is throwing, then the code will simply repeat until you remove the key. If, however there are more than one ECU error code, then you will see a different series of flashes followed by the long pause. Once all the ECU codes have been displayed, they will continuously cycle until you remove the key.

ie. LONG-LONG-SHORT-PAUSE-LONG-LONG-LONG-LONG-SHORT-SHORT-SHORT-PAUSE

is the trouble code: 21 and 43

Once you have determined the codes, you can simply remove the paperclip or wire from the connector and replace it back in the green housing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you owe me a beer!
Old 01-31-2004, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cant check code!!!! (Andres-eh2)

I think it is different for 92-95 civic though... I saw no such blue plug under there... I will go double check, but I dont think it is there...

FOUND IT: didnt realize it was "inside" the green cover... awesome... heres a sixer for you my friend... thanks a lot

Old 01-31-2004, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay so it looks liek im throwing 3 different codes...

17 speed sensor

21 VTEC spool solenoid valve

22 VTEC pressure valve

so how can I go about fixing these??
Old 01-31-2004, 03:07 PM

17 speed sensor = is it plug in? located on the transy near the rear mount.

21 VTEC spool solenoid valve = need to run the wire to the ecu A4

22 VTEC pressure valve = nee to run the wire to the D6
Old 01-31-2004, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cant check code!!!! (2lua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2lua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

17 speed sensor = is it plug in? located on the transy near the rear mount.

21 VTEC spool solenoid valve = need to run the wire to the ecu A4

22 VTEC pressure valve = nee to run the wire to the D6 </TD></TR></TABLE>

okay, well my vtec is still working, and I did a little bit of searching, and people said that the VSS sometimes just gets thrown out of nowhere, and to just reset the ecu and it usually goes away... well I did that and my speedometer stopped working so now, I guess I will have to take a closer look at the sensor... it was raining today, so I didnt realyl have a long enough window to check it all out.

I added 2 quarts of oil because that was kind of low, and thought maybe that could be the reason for the other 2 vodes, (21,22) but it wasnt so now I guess I will do what you said, but I'm a little confused... which wire where&gt;?? pictures would be very helpful if possible... thanks a lot
-Brandon
Old 02-01-2004, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone???
Old 02-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can u check all engine codes on all hondas this way or just on egs if so anyone know how to do it on a DA integ
Old 02-01-2004, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you reset the ecu yet??
Old 02-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cant check code!!!! (salbaje)

yes I reset the ecu, and put in half a quart of oil, light is still on, and still throwing the same codes... my speedometer started workign agin today though, so now IM just confused... my buddy is a mechanic for honda, I will go over to his house sometime this week and see if we cant figure it out... might just need to replace the plugs... but I'm also thinking that the guy who put the motor in the car (previous owner) may have swithed up 2 of the 3 wires...