Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Canadian Civic in US?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian Civic in US?

Hey guys, I was wondering, I might be buying a Canadian DX 5th gen white hatch and the owner is willing to drive it over here but I would have to pay for his plane ticket back. This isn't final yet and the guy doesn't have it on any classifieds since he is a good friend of my dads. But I was curious if he ships it here would I have to pay custom fees? Also would there be any trouble or any extra fees since its canadian?

Don't worry once if I get this car, it will be seeing a swap and boost
Still Deciding between which engine though.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Canadian Civic in US? (coupedup)

check on the ITR forum or do a search, there are few guys who bought the '99 ITRs and newer ITR which came CW in Canada. to register a car in US there is customs, taxes and some type testing it needs to meet. read up and search.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Canadian Civic in US? (coupedup)

Hey guys, I was wondering, I might be buying a Canadian DX 5th gen white hatch and the owner is willing to drive it over here but I would have to pay for his plane ticket back. This isn't final yet and the guy doesn't have it on any classifieds since he is a good friend of my dads. But I was curious if he ships it here would I have to pay custom fees? Also would there be any trouble or any extra fees since its canadian?
no extra fees. ONE THING is required to register it in the US though, a tech sheet from Honda of Canada that specifies that the Canadian car also meets US crash and emissions tests. This one piece of paper can be received byu the Canadian seller thru Honda of Canada. They can fax ro mail him a copy and that is what you will need as a US buyer to show the DMV that the car is up to snuff for registration in the US.

My roommate bought a 2000 DX SE hatch from a guy in Ottowa and this is all he needed. If the guy is willing to drive it over the border into the US for you, that makes it super easy for both parties. He paid with a bank check for the car.
HTH
Old 03-13-2003, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Canadian Civic in US? (owen_the_soyboy)

Owen is 100% right. That's all you need
Old 03-13-2003, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Canadian Civic in US? (owen_the_soyboy)

Holy cow, that was my friends car, I was with him when we drove it to your buddy in Syracuse !!! How's the car doing, any new mods to it, tell your roommate to post some new pics of it man, were dying to see it. Although my buddy has a brand new EP hatch, he still dearly misses that one, that thing was sweet , it only needed some more power and that was it !!
Old 03-13-2003, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Canadian Civic in US? (Sneeeez)

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.