Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can You Solve It? Clutch whine issue, not throw out bearing

Ok first the setup

92 Cx hatch
B16a2 motor and tranny
ACT organic disc and heavy duty pressure plate (part numbers availible if needed)

The story....ok I built a high compression LS/vtec, but decided to go daily driver so pulled that motor. I had already bought a heavy duty hyper clutch an PP so I decided to put that on my stock b16 well 1 year later that clutch disc cracked and a spring fell out of the disc....needless to say it was time for a new clutch setup. So I got an ACT and installed it with a brand new throw out bearing and pilot bearing. Flywheel was resurfaced, and red loctite was used on the flywheel bolts (tq'd @ 80) and clutch bolts (tq'd @ 22)

When I stared the car back up after the clutch job I heard a whining noise which was non existant before. I sounded like a bad throw out bearing which stumped me cause I just put a brand new one in there. The noise would go away when I pressed the clutch pedel down. So I figured it was either the Throw out bearing or the imput shaft bearing.

I pulled the tranny off again and changed the throw out bearing back to the old one which had about 10k on it, but was in perfect working order. The noise was still there. But I had a problem beliving that my imput shaft bearing was bad just cause of a clutch problem like I had.

I belive that either my clutch fork is bent or my slave is bad.....reason being is this. When the car is in nuetral and I push the clutch fork thru the rubber boot (towards the slave) the opposite way that the slave pushes it, the noise disappears. If it was the imput shaft bearing the noise would still be there since the tranny imput shaft is still rotating in with the disc engaged in netral....correct???

Oh btw there is no leaking fluid from the slave, but could it just not be retracting all the way.....or could the clutch master cylinder cause that to happen????

Any imput or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can You Solve It? Clutch whine issue, not throw out bearing (WhiteNess)

anyone????
Old 08-07-2006, 10:05 AM

it sounds like its your input shaft bearing to me. the noise will go away when the clutch is pressed. if it was a bad throw out bearing you would hear the noise when the clutch was pressed.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (h23eg)

thats what i was thinking at first....but a good friend who built drag hondas (and now cobalts for pro-drag racing in houston) told me that if it was the imput shaft bearing that I would feel roughness when accelerating.... my car drives perfectly smooth ....not only that but when I push the clutch fork further towards the slave cylinder the noise goes away. If it was the IMP shaft bearing then the noise should still be there since the imput shaft is still rotating.

It sounds like the throwout bearing is rubbing up against the PP which is why I'm leaning towards the clutch fork being bent, bad slave, or even possibley a bad CMC.

Am I way off or does that sound legitiment
Old 08-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WhiteNess)

bought a slave from auto zone for 11.99.........can't install till thursday night though cause I've got TONS OF ISH to do for school and work. Any other suggestions would be appreciated
Old 08-07-2006, 03:40 PM

Default Re: (h23eg)

If its an input shaft bearing, it will still make noise if your moving and you push the clutch in(there is no way to make the noise go away IF you're moving)

If its a throw out bearing, anytime you push in the clutch the noise will go away.(even if your moving)

Old 08-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (APCforthewin)

I agree 100% with what u said which leads me to think its either th slave not retracting all the way or the clutch fork being bent.

I'm gonna change the slave first cause its cheaper and easier to access.....if that's not it ill change the fork.....and if that's not it then time to tear apart the tranny
Old 07-30-2015, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can You Solve It? Clutch whine issue, not throw out bearing

I know this thread is very old but did you ever fix the problem
Old 07-30-2015, 11:38 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can You Solve It? Clutch whine issue, not throw out bearing

9 year old thread!

Foot off clutch noise is input shaft bearing. This is a fairly well known thing. In the future, instead of bumping a 9 year old thread, create your own with the required information.

The rules sticky exists for a reason. Go read it.