Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can someone explain this to me about wheel wells?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone explain this to me about wheel wells?

http://free.hostdepartment.com/b/blades5/wheel.jpg

Copy and paste that picture into ur address bar (don't click it, it won't work!)... u will see a honda civic and some red markings on it.

The markings represent the height from the ground to the top of the wheel well cavity on the outside. My question is why is it that the top of the front wheel well or cavity is higher than the rear? If u don't believe me, take a close look at the picture, u will notice that the rim in the rear is a lot closer to the top of the wheel well than the front. If u still can't see that, go out to ur car right now and measure the height from the ground to the top of the wheel well and u will see for urself that the front is higher than the back.

To me, that makes the car uneven... i'm sure there is a logical explanation for this, like that the front wheel needs to turn... but y not make it even in the back too?

Any takers on this one? All cars are like this, even trucks... could anyone explain?... maybe drunk car designers?

BTW, how do i get out of trial membership in this forum? How come i can only post 5 posts within a 24hr time?

[Modified by dclub01, 7:30 AM 3/29/2003]
Old 03-28-2003, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Can someone explain this to me about wheel wells? (dclub01)

It is a very small difference. My guess is that the front wheel well
is higher because the front wheel needs to turn. The back wheel
does not so the fender wall can come down lower. At least its not
like the Insight with the wheel covers.

To post the picture use the image tag and not a link tag.

The trial user thing is to prevent the new guys who want to go post
and post and post all day long. It is to make sure that you dont waste
everyones time with pointless replies. You will be a member in about
a week I think. That is if you dont **** everyone off. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can someone explain this to me about wheel wells? (d15dude)

any other explanations?...
Old 03-29-2003, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To me, that makes the car uneven... i'm sure there is a logical explanation for this, like that the front wheel needs to turn... but y not make it even in the back too?

Any takers on this one? All cars are like this, even trucks... could anyone explain?... maybe drunk car designers?

BTW, how do i get out of trial membership in this forum? How come i can only post 5 posts within a 24hr time?

[Modified by dclub01, 7:30 AM 3/29/2003]
1. I have no idea, ask the owner about that.

2. Not all cars are like that, and I don't take the drunk car designer comment seriously.

3. You have to be a member for 15 days I believe. After that you'll become a regular member. Search is your best friend, and try to avoid posting dumb threads like this one. Obviously the front is higher to allow the wheels to turn without rubbing.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can someone explain this to me about wheel wells? (Noe Kozz)

2. Not all cars are like that, and I don't take the drunk car designer comment seriously.

3. You have to be a member for 15 days I believe. After that you'll become a regular member. Search is your best friend, and try to avoid posting dumb threads like this one. Obviously the front is higher to allow the wheels to turn without rubbing.
2. Okay, not all cars are like this, but i would say at least 98%? Yes, i'm aware of the turning thing, but is that the only reason? Y wouldn't u make them even? Wouldn't it look better? Use less steel on the frame? Etc...?

3. I don't think this thread is dumb... to each their own, of course! This is a legit question... i jus assume all the people in here are technically knowledgeable to answer a simple question like that?! I apologize if this offends anyone...
Old 03-29-2003, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not offended by any means, instead I'm just giving you some advice. Yes, alot of cars may be dropped like that, but it's all in the name of front wheel travel while turning. As to why not make it even in the rear and raise it a little? I have no idea, different strokes for different folks. I actually have my hatch the opposite way right now. My front is more dropped than my rear, and many cars here on HT have an even drop.

Also, the car belongs to a ricer, which gives you more of a reason as to why he's drop is not even.

[Modified by Noe Kozz, 3:55 PM 3/29/2003]

[Modified by Noe Kozz, 3:57 PM 3/29/2003]