Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can someone explain this.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Can someone explain this.

Our aftermarket manifolds are some of the highest quality replacements on the market!

If your vehicle's exhaust is getting loud and the exhaust noise is coming from under the hood or engine then you may need to fix a cracked exhaust manifold. Replacing a broken manifold is easiest with a direct replacement manifold that will fit correctly and bolt up to you original engine and exhaust system. This manifold is a direct fitting replacement.

This cast iron Honda Civic exhaust manifold manifold with catalytic convertor has been designed to eliminate the faults of the original Honda design. This cast iron Honda Civic exhaust manifold has the following specifications:

•New 2 piece design with new catalytic convertor (not reconditioned)
•4 bolt exhaust flange
•Heat shield included
•Exhaust manifold has provision for Oxygen (O2) sensor
•Direct replacement
•Corrosion resistant
•Replaces original manifolds that are cracked from thermal expansion and contraction
•Strengthened and redesigned in the vulnerable areas of failure
•Fits both standard and automatic transmission models
•Does not fit cars with California emissions

Why does it not fit cars with Ca emisions?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can someone explain this.

Because California is awesome, how can you live there and not know this?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do know that they are hella strict on smog. My question is, what is the difference of that cat converter if its OEM replacements?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm assuming that its an aftermarket item and there is no CARB number. CA is strict on aftermarket parts having CARB stickers etc. If you strictly talking about whether it will pass the smog (hydrocarbon etc.) portion I'm sure it will, but it will probably fail the visual.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, now it's starting to make sense. So, If I was to buy an OEM replacement exhaust manifold w/cat converter for a 96 DX, would it work?

For Example

NOT FOR CALIFORNIA EMISSION MODELS

So this is what your saying, it does not have a carb sticker but most likely will pass. This item looks OEM but it's not. As far as the visual go, I don't think the smog technician can tell the difference. But I had on some cheapy no name brand after market headers they will be able to identify that it's not OEM and will fail me on visual.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jb0705
Ok, now it's starting to make sense. So, If I was to buy an OEM replacement exhaust manifold w/cat converter for a 96 DX, would it work?

For Example

NOT FOR CALIFORNIA EMISSION MODELS

So this is what your saying, it does not have a carb sticker but most likely will pass. This item looks OEM but it's not. As far as the visual go, I don't think the smog technician can tell the difference. But I had on some cheapy no name brand after market headers they will be able to identify that it's not OEM and will fail me on visual.
Anyone else that can answer this question..
Old 07-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all that matters is that it looks like oem...it's pretty much like buying a new cat for any car, just put the oem heat sheild on it if you still have it...same as haveing the itr headers on with the oem heatsheild they can't tell the different...
Old 07-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hard_boiled_EG
all that matters is that it looks like oem...it's pretty much like buying a new cat for any car, just put the oem heat sheild on it if you still have it...same as haveing the itr headers on with the oem heatsheild they can't tell the different...
If it looks OEM then the smogtech will probably pass you. He should have no doubt if it looks stock.

As of the first of the year any replacement cats (for CA) need to have a CARB # on it.
There is alot of fine print like: if it looks to be older than that date then it is OK. See what I mean it is kinda open for your own take on it.

What are we suppose to do is if it looks new check it for CARB numbers. If no CARB numbers then ask for a reciept showing the date of install. We would need proof that the install was before 1/1/2009 to pass it.