Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

can a ls vtec swap be used as a everyday driver???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can a ls vtec swap be used as a everyday driver???

should go out and buy anoter car or can i drive my car with the ls vtec swap in it everyday?
Old 06-05-2004, 06:10 AM

Default Re: can a ls vtec swap be used as a everyday driver??? (tray3rd)

why wouldnt u be able to drive it everyday?
Old 06-05-2004, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it all depends on reliability. if it was built right it wouldn't be a problem. before you buy a new car, invest in proper management to make sure it runs reliably.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:45 AM

Default Re: can a ls vtec swap be used as a everyday driver??? (Jonas99)

i've heard mixed opinions about the reliablity of the ls vtec. you know the oil problems.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its done right then you should be fine driving it around everyday. I think its still good to have a spare car though when you work on your car a lot just in case you need to take downtime and fix something.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:57 AM

Default Re: can a ls vtec swap be used as a everyday driver??? (SOHC_MShue)

i have been driving mine as a everyday driver, but my rods bearings went bad. that was not the engines fault though.

i wonder why everyone worries about a ls/vtec? what is the difference between that and bolt on a pair of holley heads on a 350. the only difference is the pins and the external oil line. no need to freak out you know.

Old 06-05-2004, 07:01 AM

Default Re: can a ls vtec swap be used as a everyday driver??? (SprayinCX)

all i have to do is plug the oil galley in the gsr head to stop the oil leaks right? how do i get past being a trail member this really sucks! to only be able to send 5 messages a day?! where can i get a complete gsr head for a reasonable price?
Old 06-05-2004, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lmao a trail member. Just wait man you will become a normal member soon enough.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

spraying cx just wondering who built ur ls/vtec and did that balance your bottom end and polish the crank?
Old 06-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can a ls vtec swap be used as a everyday driver??? (ek-guru)

my boy has no prob running his daily...just tune it properly and ull be straight
Old 06-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can a ls vtec swap be used as a everyday driver??? (HUBB)

You built it correctly and know your limitations and you'll be fine.

EX: Don't halfass on the build, and don't think you can rev it to 10k every second of the day and you'll do fine.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can a ls vtec swap be used as a everyday driver??? (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You built it correctly and know your limitations and you'll be fine.

EX: Don't halfass on the build, and don't think you can rev it to 10k every second of the day and you'll do fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

there really isnt any real reason to rev the **** out of a lsvtec or b20vtec. a freind of mine just recently did a stock b20vtec setup and his car low end wise feels like mine but its where it begs for more power up top in my nonvtec b20z swap his keeps screaming harder and harder.

if u do a stock lsvtec dont rev it over 7500. unless u balance that crank. i have seen stock bottom end lsvtecs run hard for over a year and change racing weekend in and out making decent power and gains and never giving up.
they are reliable, even when jig rigged lol.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can a ls vtec swap be used as a everyday driver??? (bruceHungLO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bruceHungLO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

there really isnt any real reason to rev the **** out of a lsvtec or b20vtec. a freind of mine just recently did a stock b20vtec setup and his car low end wise feels like mine but its where it begs for more power up top in my nonvtec b20z swap his keeps screaming harder and harder.

if u do a stock lsvtec dont rev it over 7500. unless u balance that crank. i have seen stock bottom end lsvtecs run hard for over a year and change racing weekend in and out making decent power and gains and never giving up.
they are reliable, even when jig rigged lol. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand this, but some people do not. They think if you slap a new head on a block you can rev to 9k or 10k all day long. What I was saying was just an example.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can a ls vtec swap be used as a everyday driver??? (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I understand this, but some people do not. They think if you slap a new head on a block you can rev to 9k or 10k all day long. What I was saying was just an example.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no i understand that i didnt disagree with u ricey dunt worry
Old 06-05-2004, 11:27 AM

Aren't you supposed to use a b16 or type r head instead of a gsr? Or is it ok on a b20? I've had a friend with an ls block I believe w/ a gsr head, and it blew up.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can a ls vtec swap be used as a everyday driver??? (JKim0901)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JKim0901 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aren't you supposed to use a b16 or type r head instead of a gsr? Or is it ok on a b20? I've had a friend with an ls block I believe w/ a gsr head, and it blew up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wasnt installed properly b16 and ITR head will yeild u lower compression than a gsr head. what did he blow up and u can tell where he went wrong.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:54 AM

Default Re: can a ls vtec swap be used as a everyday driver??? (JKim0901)

You can use a GSR head or a B16/ITR head. It really doesn't matter. I would think the GSR head would give you decent mid range torque if you had the GSR intake manifold on it and hooked up.. I've never used one though.

Usually people use B16 heads because they're cheap. (from what I gather)

I would never use a non vtec block. I'd personally save my money and build the whole thing right. Send a vtec block in and have it sleeved @ 84mm. You may not have the stroke you want from a LS or B20vtec, but you will be much safer revving it higher... and you can easily make the same power with agressive cams. Don't forget to upgrade pistons and rods...
Old 06-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can a ls vtec swap be used as a everyday driver??? (Nameless RB26)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nameless RB26 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can use a GSR head or a B16/ITR head. It really doesn't matter. I would think the GSR head would give you decent mid range torque if you had the GSR intake manifold on it and hooked up.. I've never used one though.

Usually people use B16 heads because they're cheap. (from what I gather)

I would never use a non vtec block. I'd personally save my money and build the whole thing right. Send a vtec block in and have it sleeved @ 84mm. You may not have the stroke you want from a LS or B20vtec, but you will be much safer revving it higher... and you can easily make the same power with agressive cams. Don't forget to upgrade pistons and rods...</TD></TR></TABLE>

see thats teh reason why people do ls/crvtecs because of the stroke
Old 06-05-2004, 06:03 PM

my buddy dan, whom many people in the (610) area code, philadelphia area know... he has an INSANE ls-vtec fully built that he's been runnin street in his hatch everyday.... do it the right way, and you're fine... cut corners, and plan on cuttin a check to your local auto repair shop
Old 06-05-2004, 06:37 PM

Default Re: can a ls vtec swap be used as a everyday driver??? (ek-guru)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek-guru &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">spraying cx just wondering who built ur ls/vtec and did that balance your bottom end and polish the crank?</TD></TR></TABLE>

rlzENGINEering is building my b2o. as far as my ls/vtec goes i just put the b16 head on it and drove it because my dizzy went out on the ls and instead of getting it fixed i put the vtec head on cause it was laying around the house. The stock ls block had like 110,000 miles on it when i bought it. then plus what i drove it when it was a stock ls swap. then after i put the vtec head on it. so it was due for a rebuild anyway.

When i went to the strip i shifted at 8600rpm cause i didn't want to break stuff due to high reving. most stock ls cranks can handle 9000rpm anyways. i think if you rebuild it with different rods and pistons it would last longer and not be a bad idea to get the crank balanced and stuff.

On the other hand i know a couple of people that has a rebuilt engine with a STOCK ls crank and they take it to 9k to 9.5k. Maybe not daily but every time they go to the strip.

Also it is a proven fact if you beat the crap out of your car everyday something will give. no matter who built it.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can a ls vtec swap be used as a everyday driver??? (SprayinCX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SprayinCX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

On the other hand i know a couple of people that has a rebuilt engine with a STOCK ls crank and they take it to 9k to 9.5k. Maybe not daily but every time they go to the strip.

Also it is a proven fact if you beat the crap out of your car everyday something will give. no matter who built it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ahmen brother
Old 06-05-2004, 11:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bruceHungLO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

they are reliable, even when jig rigged lol. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i dont see why youd rev it that high witha stock head anyways.
**** it doesn tmatter of its a b20vtec or a b16
stock cams only make power to a certain rpm till it starts to go down.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:42 AM

Default Re: can a ls vtec swap be used as a everyday driver??? (drunknbass)

thanks for the info it was very informative will post pics and dyno # when i finish. does anyone know what i will be looking at hp and whp with eagle rods and je pistons 10:1 and a gsr head.