Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

can i supercharge my single cam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i supercharge my single cam?

can i supercharge my single cam vtec with my p29 integra pistons and fully built internal as long as i keep the boost at like 7psi.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:22 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: can i supercharge my single cam? (94civiclover)

Yes, just keep in mind the importance of proper tuning.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

which year of the p29 pistons do you have?
Old 04-29-2007, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: can i supercharge my single cam? (96civic_hb)

If it's fully built, there's no reason to keep it at 7psi, just make sure it's tuned right.

Though how much displacement is it, now? I'm assuming you had it sleeved? B4 and after? Generally you don't wanna supercharge anything below 2.0, yes, I know people do it all the time, doesn't make it normal nor smart. Superchargers react better with larger displacement engines, if you have an F23 for example, a supercharger would be better, than if this was a Y8 that we're talking about. The only other time is A) Roots superchargers (which kinda take the fun outta things), or B) use them in a dual charge system that uses the supercharger from like 600-3k, then a valve opens, closes off the supercharger, opens up the turbocharger piping, which brings it the rest of the way to the redline (usually used to eliminate turbo lag most efficiently).

So I'm pretty curious as to what displacement you're running. Can you? Of course, is it smart? Probably not, depends on how much displacement.

PS: Please, don't tell me you can supercharge anything, I'm well aware that even the 1.0L 3cyl geo metro engines can be supercharged, it's just not smart in any way, shape, or form b/c the displacement's so damn low.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont know what year the pistons are im trying to do what they did in honda tuning by throwing the larger pistons in but my engine is a d16z6 and i never intended on sleeving the block what about keeping it naturally aspirated will that bring it over 200hp at the crank?
Old 04-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PM sent
Old 04-29-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: can i supercharge my single cam? (Civic98KH)

Jackson Racing Super Charger FTW
Old 04-29-2007, 10:08 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: can i supercharge my single cam? (Rainy City)

p29 pistons are a myth, 88-89 integras with the d16a1 dual cam engine, the shitest engine ever, also came with the dohc zc motors but with a diffrent piston code all in all same piston, the piston swaps are common in d16a6's engines where they wiill work

but with a d16z6 with thedeck height where it is (lower on the d16z6) you may not machine anybit of a d16z6 motor no resurfacing or pistons hit the valves, the compression is so high 13-14's i wouldnt recommend super charging them

reguardless of what these onda tech apperance junkies say, i suggest you LOOK at the out the hole distance of a p29 in a z block and youll have second thoughts and want to go with maybe a vitara build if serious about the boosting (20+ psi on a tdo4h-15g or so ive heard)
Old 04-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: can i supercharge my single cam? (spork motorsports)

Indeed, if everything else is stock, the compression ratio will be very high and clearances will be tight. The original post reads as if the motor is already built and running sans supercharger, so perhaps we can assume that some measures have been taken to yield a more reasonable compression ratio (e.g., thicker head gasket, combustion chamber work, machining of the piston domes, etc.). Either way, it is certainly nowhere near an ideal setup for supercharging, though with proper tuning and appropriate fuel, it's still a possibility. If the engine is not already built, and the plans are for a maximum of 7 psi, spending the money on a good header and engine management would be more productive than worrying about upgraded internals.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:18 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: can i supercharge my single cam? (Padawan)

the p29 pistons do not work well for any setup imo, even with a high comp d you cant machine anything off the head or block at ALL the kid that came up with this idea used engine theory and not physically putting the pistons in the z block, it works fine for an A block

in engine theory that is a badass set up, bu the fact of the matter is to have a realiable motor you NEED to machine the warpages, and run an oem gasket,
Old 04-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spork motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the p29 pistons do not work well for any setup imo, even with a high comp d you cant machine anything off the head or block at ALL the kid that came up with this idea used engine theory and not physically putting the pistons in the z block, it works fine for an A block </TD></TR></TABLE>

Assuming one does not intend to mill the head or the block, what else makes it a poor setup for a high-compression Z6 or Y8 in your opinion? Running a thicker head gasket can bring the compression ratio down to reasonable levels for a built all-motor application, but is it simply a matter of you favouring OEM gaskets that causes you to dislike these pistons in a Z6 or Y8 motor? I'm just curious as to your reasoning.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:55 AM
* B A N N E D *

well first and foremost im a turbo guy haha that should be enough right there lol otherwise (i have never tried this on a y8 block keep in mind) like you said new gaskets, and the fact that you have to run a higer octane for such a little gain, imho all motor honda's arent worth the trouble,

simple fact of the matter is that if you have so many miles on a 13 year old civic you will have to mill a little either head or block its known you are not going to have zero warpage after lets say 180k miles?

but it is his car, his money, his skill, he might have more of each than i do
Old 04-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Darth ModerVader

That's fair. I do agree that it isn't ideal (or at the very least isn't what I'd select), regardless of what the plans are for the motor.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well my plans were to do the p29 pistons with stock rods a triple ply headgasket and skunk 2 valve train with a skunk 2 intake manifold and 66mm throttle body and cold air intake and a 4-1 header back exhaust basically all motor setup. but i wanted more power so i was planning on supercharging it to get into the 14 second timeslips at the track.