Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can I bypass VTEC

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I bypass VTEC

I'm using a y8 ECU on a y7....I'm tired of vtec trying to engage at 5500rpm and ******* up so I wanna know is there ANY way to bypass vtec? add resistors?? disconnect jumpers?!?! Any help?!?!

thanks
Old 09-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Can I bypass VTEC (murmur9)

I think TODA makes a cam called "VTEC Killer"...it basically eliminates VTEC, if i'm not mistaken. But I think it might just be for the B series. I hope that helps.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:08 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I bypass VTEC (EH3Kid85)

just cut the a4 wire.

NM it's obd II, just cut the vtec solenoid wire.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Can I bypass VTEC (ABK)

Just unplug the solenoid.

You will have a CEL, though.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if u unplug the solenoid and use a non vtec ecu there will be no light...
Old 09-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I bypass VTEC (bpowa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpowa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if u unplug the solenoid and use a non vtec ecu there will be no light... </TD></TR></TABLE>

But it's a Y7, so there is no solenoid, correct?

Old 09-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I bypass VTEC (EX_AutoXer)

i didnt know u can use y8 ecu on y7...

is there any power improvment? whats the point of this?

and what happens when "vtec" engages
Old 09-01-2004, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I bypass VTEC (SyDuck)

vtec essentially is an extra lobe on your cam that has a more aggressive profile than the rest of your cam, it engages when the engine is under load, has oil pressure, ect. ect.
cliff notes: It helps performance
Old 09-01-2004, 12:26 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I bypass VTEC (Soccerking3000)

As far as I understand y7 got e-vtec. by the looks of z1 motor I got sitting in my garage it's pretty much like any vtec motor, extra lobe and changeover selonoid. I think the only thing that keeps it from making any power is the intake ports, and possibly the roller "type" rockers (maybe too heavy to rev higher).
Old 09-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can I bypass VTEC (SyDuck)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SyDuck &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i didnt know u can use y8 ecu on y7...

and what happens when "vtec" engages</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea kinda confused here too... d16y7 = lx/dx motor NON-VTEC. is it a mini-me? what's wrong with vtec engaging?
Old 09-01-2004, 12:57 PM

None of you listened to what he said hes using a y8 ecu on a y7 motor non vtec.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as I understand y7 got e-vtec. by the looks of z1 motor I got sitting in my garage it's pretty much like any vtec motor, extra lobe and changeover selonoid. I think the only thing that keeps it from making any power is the intake ports, and possibly the roller "type" rockers (maybe too heavy to rev higher).</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually if it does have roller rockers it would be able to rev extremely high and have a camso agressive it would destroy any type of valve train that doesnt have them
Old 09-01-2004, 01:00 PM

no guys, his y7 motor is the 96-00 dx motor, no vtec at all. he means that the vtec is TRYING to kick in (in the ecu only), but all that does is to change fuel and timing maps. I dont know if you can kill it since its just an internal ecu thing. you can either change out the ecu, get it reprogrammed, or unplug a sensor so that you get a check engine light, which will kill vtec. id swap it out, someone should have a dx ecu they will swap straight across for a vtec one.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Can I bypass VTEC (sacicons)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sacicons &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no guys, his y7 motor is the 96-00 dx motor, no vtec at all. he means that the vtec is TRYING to kick in (in the ecu only), but all that does is to change fuel and timing maps. I dont know if you can kill it since its just an internal ecu thing. you can either change out the ecu, get it reprogrammed, or unplug a sensor so that you get a check engine light, which will kill vtec. id swap it out, someone should have a dx ecu they will swap straight across for a vtec one.</TD></TR></TABLE>
your the only one who got it right. Ya, it TRYS to engage...changing the cuel and timing i guess? ANYWAY...when it engages at 5200-5500rpm's it SLAMS my revs all the way to 7K with no ******* half a sec notice. and i lose power...its just like i hit the REDLINE and all power is lost al that high of revs. kind of wack.
but i know its because of vtec. Everyone says un plug it... its a y7 head so there is no where to plug it in at. i used the old y8 harness. I know its the ECU, but i dont want to grab another right now, i got one to use BUT it was a manual ECU, i have an auto. and for OBDII you can't convert an manual to an auto ecu, only on OBDI you can do that. SO I was wonder does ANYONE know how to bypass vtec

so that when i hit 5500 it won't try and change my fuel/ timing maps?

Note: usually you would think that ''well since its at 7K rpm it should just switch to the next gear....it should, but it dosnt'. I have to let off the throttle a bit to get the revs back to 5200 and then it will switch. It is just a pain in the *** to have to ''watch it'' when im trying to catch up onto the highway from an on ramp. I shouldnt have to, it should switch...i shouldnt have to watch out so i dont rev to high on a ******* auto . (you know how you have to speed up)
Old 09-01-2004, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Can I bypass VTEC (sacicons)

if he is running a y8 ecu on y7 then he doesnt even get vtec.....he gets limp mode where the engine redlines at 5500, and it feels like the engine wants to choke out all the time, i know this cause i tried it with my car...what he needs to do is get a p2e ecu then he will be good....god knows why he even hooked up the y8 ecu in the first place.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SyDuck &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i didnt know u can use y8 ecu on y7...

and what happens when "vtec" engages</TD></TR></TABLE>
No improvment. the point was because I had bought a D16y7 ECU off of EBAY from a guy who said it was an AUTO, but it wasnt. I have the engine working great...just code 21 (CEL) VTEC (something) Anyway, since it works ok with this ECU, why not bypass vtec to make it quit its little hissy fits it likes to throw around 5500rpm. I'm kinda trying to make it day to day here on the $$ budget you know. I have endless dreams as far as my car goes though.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But it's a Y7, so there is no solenoid, correct?

</TD></TR></TABLE> correct*
Old 09-01-2004, 01:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if he is running a y8 ecu on y7 then he doesnt even get vtec.....he gets limp mode where the engine redlines at 5500, and it feels like the engine wants to choke out all the time, i know this cause i tried it with my car...what he needs to do is get a p2e ecu then he will be good....god knows why he even hooked up the y8 ecu in the first place.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is that what its called? limp mode? I read that on here, but never knew what it was. That's exactly what this is. It just feels like its gonna die at 5500. BUT my question....can I just bypass the vtec engagement internally on the ecu with a couple of 'snips' and add/remove jumpers and resistors?
Old 09-01-2004, 02:05 PM

why dont you stop being ghetto and get the right ecu then all your problems will be solved.. get a job you bum and quit whining about a budget <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by murmur9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
No improvment. the point was because I had bought a D16y7 ECU off of EBAY from a guy who said it was an AUTO, but it wasnt. I have the engine working great...just code 21 (CEL) VTEC (something) Anyway, since it works ok with this ECU, why not bypass vtec to make it quit its little hissy fits it likes to throw around 5500rpm. I'm kinda trying to make it day to day here on the $$ budget you know. I have endless dreams as far as my car goes though.
correct*</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-01-2004, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you're running a manual d16y8 computer on an auto d16y7? it should be pretty easy to sell a manual d16y8 ecu and buy an new ecu. the revving of your motor is due the tranmission slipping. revs cant jump that high based on timing an fuel maps.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:21 PM

i dont think you can snip anything because its all internal..the computer itself wants to engage vtec...if you snip you will get a cel
Old 09-01-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Can I bypass VTEC (99hatch)

seriously theres not much you can do. Its all in the internal maps, VTEC or not that ecu is expecting it and has maps for it in that range. I'm willing to bet that there are no correct maps to run the way you want it to run on that ecu.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I bypass VTEC (XiiiXiii)

the only way to fix your prob is to get your ecu reprogrammed or to get the correct ecu
Old 09-01-2004, 03:22 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Can I bypass VTEC (SirRevvs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SirRevvs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get the correct ecu</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-01-2004, 03:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by murmur9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
your the only one who got it right. Ya, it TRYS to engage...changing the cuel and timing i guess? ANYWAY...when it engages at 5200-5500rpm's it SLAMS my revs all the way to 7K with no ******* half a sec notice.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha.. so its kinda like a wet system of nitrous.. without the nitrous and just the fuel
Old 09-01-2004, 03:37 PM

Default Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you're running a manual d16y8 computer on an auto d16y7? it should be pretty easy to sell a manual d16y8 ecu and buy an new ecu. the revving of your motor is due the tranmission slipping. revs cant jump that high based on timing an fuel maps.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I AM USING A D16Y8 AUTOMATIC ECU ON A D16Y7 MOTOR. I TRIED TO BUY A AUTOMATIC ECU (P2E) FOR THE MOTOR, BUT IT WAS A MANUAL SO I CAN'T USE IT. YOU CAN ONLY CONVERT A MANUAL ECU TO AN AUTOMATIC ECU ON OBD1 NOT OBD2, so, IT IS USELESS.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _ApplePoop_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why dont you stop being ghetto and get the right ecu then all your problems will be solved.. get a job you bum and quit whining about a budget </TD></TR></TABLE>
Why don't you just send me the money for the ECU via pay pal when I find it. ok? thanks, your too kind, too kind....

Quick Reply: Can I bypass VTEC