Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camshaft

i was planning to swap out my camshaft.....my stock one for a skunk2 stage one? (d16z6)

i have all stock valves, springs, and retainers....i am ordering a skunk 2 pro series intake manifold and a b18 throttle body....

will swapping out these two items help me out in hp and tq ranges?

Old 12-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: camshaft (ge_ej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ge_ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was planning to swap out my camshaft.....my stock one for a skunk2 stage one? (d16z6)

i have all stock valves, springs, and retainers....i am ordering a skunk 2 pro series intake manifold and a b18 throttle body....

will swapping out these two items help me out in hp and tq ranges?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Does a polar bear **** in the woods?

Old 12-22-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Re: camshaft (Dramier)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dramier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Does a polar bear **** in the woods?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

whatever dude, anyways my main question is: is it okay to run a stage one cam and camgear with a stock valve train? i've seen people do it, but not sure if they upgrade their valvetrain and what not....
Old 12-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would upgrade I snaped 3 stock retainer caps and Broke 2 Valves when I put my Skunk 2 cam in had to get a new cam to cause the dam retainer messed it up
Old 12-22-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: camshaft (cln92eg)

sounds good....thanks....i might be getting a pretty good deal from a friend of mine so just wanted to know.....

is replacing the cam and cam gear itself hard to do? is there any write-ups on how to do it? and same goes with the valve train?
Old 12-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not hard it all, cam gear bolts to cam with one bolt (make sure cam gear is on zero). Its not hard to install either, there are how-to's on how also, just search, theres one using a zex cam (which doesnt make a difference) somewhere. Let us know how it does.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

U can search and try to find it but its wasnt too hard i had my dad help me
Old 12-22-2007, 06:40 PM

for a d series...a camshaft and intake manifold wont gain many hp and torque. and b series TB will work on d series engine?? anyways a lot of time and money will be spent but not really worth it. u plan to boost it in the future ?
what kind of mod do u have on your car? i am planning to do my b16a engine rebuild and upgrade next sat too.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: camshaft (crazyguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazyguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for a d series...a camshaft and intake manifold wont gain many hp and torque. a lot of time and money spent but not really worth it. u plan to boost it in the future ?
what kind of mod do u have on your car? i am planning to do my b16a engine rebuild and upgrade next sat.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Have U built many Single cams cause I got 20 extra hp with just a cam broke somethings then went stage 2 cam with springs valves and retainers dyno it again and pull a total of 38hp put a skunk 2 intake manifold on with throttle body and got another 22hp so a D16Z6 with 120hp+38+22=180 thats not including my Header, full Exhaust, My Chipped ECU, new clutch and flywheel, Password Jdm intake
Old 12-22-2007, 06:47 PM

yeah i am planning to boost in the spring....not right now because its way too cold....i had a 92 hatch with a d15b equipped with a greddy 15g kit....stock everything internals and whatnot, untuned and ran a 14.7....kinda miss it, but i want to build one of my own just because i bought that car with the turbo installed already.....

here in wisconsin, we have way too many hatches and coupes with b series swaps, i wanna build a d series either boost or n/a and see how that goes....
Old 12-22-2007, 06:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cln92eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Have U built many Single cams cause I got 20 extra hp with just a cam broke somethings then went stage 2 cam with springs valves and retainers dyno it again and pull a total of 38hp put a skunk 2 intake manifold on with throttle body and got another 22hp so a D16Z6 with 120hp+38+22=180 thats not including my Header, full Exhaust, My Chipped ECU, new clutch and flywheel, Password Jdm intake </TD></TR></TABLE>

pretty nice setup....what kind of chip did you get?...that's what i was leaning towards too.....you running in a hatch? how fast have you ran in the qaurter mile? last time i ran at the tracks, i had intake, headers, and a muffler and ran a 15.8 @ 84 mph.....with all those mods....i hope to at least hit 15.0....haha
Old 12-22-2007, 06:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cln92eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Have U built many Single cams cause I got 20 extra hp with just a cam broke somethings then went stage 2 cam with springs valves and retainers dyno it again and pull a total of 38hp put a skunk 2 intake manifold on with throttle body and got another 22hp so a D16Z6 with 120hp+38+22=180 thats not including my Header, full Exhaust, My Chipped ECU, new clutch and flywheel, Password Jdm intake </TD></TR></TABLE>
thats why i was asking him if he has any other mods on the car or plan to boost it in the future..
and i have a jdm b16a with 170 HP stock. how many hp do u think my eg will gain if i install AEM fuel rail. ITR Cams. CTR 10.8 compression piston. valves springs .retainers.skunk2 intake manifold and 68mm TB ?? with what i have already mod on the car..k&n intake. dc sports header..apexi sw2 cat back..chipped p28 ecu tuned by a pro

Modified by crazyguy at 8:25 PM 12/22/2007
Old 12-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats good, and the most i've heard from a single cam, props to you . Makes me want to get the s2 mani and cam for my boost project.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope Rocking a 4 door lol First time with intake fart can and DR's I got a 15.3 at 91 Mph Rebuilt my motor and now I'm running 14.4 at 102 Mph
Old 12-22-2007, 07:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazyguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
thats why i was asking him if he has any other mods on the car or plan to boost it in the future..
and i have a jdm b16a with 170 HP stock. how many hp do u think my eg will gain if i install AEM fuel rail. ITR Cams. CTR 10.8 compression piston.spring valves.retainer.skunk2 intake manifold and 68mm TB ?? with what i have already mod on the car..k&n intake. dc sports header..apexi sw2 cat back..chipped p28 ecu tuned by a pro </TD></TR></TABLE>

well right now i just have stock internals, intake, headers, exhaust.....pretty low milage on my z6 becaus i bought it from this old dude and he babied it.....98,000 miles....i'm thinking of upgrading my flywheel and clutch.....i have the oem replacement clutch from autozone and the stock clutch.....i ran that setup because i need a clutch ASAP....two days later when i bought the car, the clutch kept on slipping and autozone had the cheapest one and in stock so i had to go with that one,

other than that, i am running stock....any suggestions on the bottom end?
Old 12-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazyguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and i have a jdm b16a with 170 HP stock. how many hp do u think my eg will gain if i install AEM fuel rail. ITR Cams. CTR 10.8 compression piston. valves springs .retainers.skunk2 intake manifold and 68mm TB ?? with what i have already mod on the car..k&n intake. dc sports header..apexi sw2 cat back..chipped p28 ecu tuned by a pro </TD></TR></TABLE>
IDK how much Hp you would get but with all that better hold the wheel harder lol sounds like that B16 has a good owner and knows how to make that power
Old 12-22-2007, 07:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cln92eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nope Rocking a 4 door lol First time with intake fart can and DR's I got a 15.3 at 91 Mph Rebuilt my motor and now I'm running 14.4 at 102 Mph
</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, pretty quick....i've seen some of the 99-00 si's with I/H/E run constant 15.5's....props to your single v
Old 12-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fastest 4 dr z6 i've heard of, lol.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ge_ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well right now i just have stock internals, intake, headers, exhaust.....pretty low milage on my z6 becaus i bought it from this old dude and he babied it.....98,000 miles....i'm thinking of upgrading my flywheel and clutch.....i have the oem replacement clutch from autozone and the stock clutch.....i ran that setup because i need a clutch ASAP....two days later when i bought the car, the clutch kept on slipping and autozone had the cheapest one and in stock so i had to go with that one,

other than that, i am running stock....any suggestions on the bottom end?</TD></TR></TABLE>

How much did u pay for the clutch? But ya on the bottom end just do what i did have the Crank Trued and Balanced with new rod bearings ARP rod bolts and better oil pump
Old 12-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: camshaft (z6hatchboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by z6hatchboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fastest 4 dr z6 i've heard of, lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Really sweet lol but in kansas my buddys are always beating me lol Type Rs and H22 Hatches lol but ya i wanted to see how fast i could make my Single its my DD so i dont get on it too much but ya that 14 was with Brand new DR's
Old 12-22-2007, 07:16 PM

How much did u pay for the clutch? But ya on the bottom end just do what i did have the Crank Trued and Balanced with new rod bearings ARP rod bolts and better oil pump </TD></TR></TABLE>

i payed like 85 bucks for it....i needed so i had to buy it.....as for my bottom end, i might just leave it for now....

how does your car perform on the highway or when you are going 35-45 mph...i mean when you are going that fast then you stomp on it?
Old 12-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ge_ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i payed like 85 bucks for it....i needed so i had to buy it.....as for my bottom end, i might just leave it for now....

how does your car perform on the highway or when you are going 35-45 mph...i mean when you are going that fast then you stomp on it?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I pull Hard Plus I have the Z6 tranny so their long gears but it does good fastest car Ive tried to race is my buddys Type R he said he normally leaves Singles by like buses lol only pulled one whole car i made his mouth drop and i hang right next to my buddys h22 hatch on the highway
Old 12-22-2007, 07:25 PM

I pull Hard Plus I have the Z6 tranny so their long gears but it does good fastest car Ive tried to race is my buddys Type R he said he normally leaves Singles by like buses lol only pulled one whole car i made his mouth drop and i hang right next to my buddys h22 hatch on the highway </TD></TR></TABLE>

that's pretty good, but dont't the z6's have shorter gears? that's nice that you can stay next to a h22 civic, considering the weight to power differential....
Old 12-22-2007, 07:30 PM

that's pretty good, but dont't the z6's have shorter gears? that's nice that you can stay next to a h22 civic, considering the weight to power differential....</TD></TR></TABLE>
Z6 has slightly shorter gear than dx, lx tranny but not really short.
B16A and ITR has shorter gears..i mean pretty short.. for example with b16a tranny. driving 70 mph on 5th gear at 3800 rpm or 3900 rpm
Old 12-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they have the longest in the D series line up from what Ive heard of

Quick Reply: camshaft