Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

camber and lowering

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default camber and lowering

my car has some positive camber and im planning on lowering it just 1.75" untill i get a camber kit. will it fix my camber a lil since lowering gives u negative camber? how are ingalls camber kits?
Old 11-17-2004, 07:53 PM

Default Re: camber and lowering (egcoupe)

tengo hambre
Old 11-17-2004, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lower it and see how the camber is then

take it to a wheel alignment shop

i love my skunk2 kit
Old 11-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do you have positive camber? bent spindles?

when the suspension compreses, camber is decreased (by design)
Old 11-17-2004, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (dantastic)

ya, if u have positive camber. id say u have a problem u should be fixing first. but yes lowering it should bring it closer to spec. depending on how much positive camber u have.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:36 PM

Default Re: (99b18)

its not a lot but enough to notice when the tires are getting used. if i got a camber kit could i adjust it myself?
Old 11-17-2004, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: camber and lowering (dohcdelsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lower it and see how the camber is then

take it to a wheel alignment shop

i love my skunk2 kit </TD></TR></TABLE>

I also have the skunk2 kit, and really enjoy it. Works good.

Would recomend it in a second
Old 11-18-2004, 06:44 AM

Default Re: camber and lowering (INCNTRL4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by INCNTRL4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also have the skunk2 kit, and really enjoy it. Works good.

Would recomend it in a second</TD></TR></TABLE>
good cuz i already ordered mine
Old 11-18-2004, 06:59 AM

also sporting the skunk 2 kit and rear DIY

its so nice not having to buy tires every few months finally could spend the cash on some falkens
Old 11-18-2004, 02:20 PM

Default Re: camber and lowering (punku10)

will i have to get a 4 wheel alignment even with that little of drop?
Old 11-18-2004, 02:24 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have positive camber it might be because you're subframe is bent or damaged. This could make your car unalignable. You better get that checked out first.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:31 PM

Default Re: camber and lowering (litterbox)

where do i look cuz i wanna check before
Old 11-18-2004, 04:22 PM

egcoupe - I have a question.......How do you have over 1250 posts and not know the answers to these questions? These are newbie type questions. I would expect these types of questions from someone who has only a few posts but 1250 posts?!?! wtf?

anyways..........

Yeah, if you have positive camber and your car is still at it's stock height, you might have problems. Get it fixed first. You want to start off with a car as neutral as possible. When you start modifying it, especially the suspension, every little thing gets magnified (especially if you plan on competing).

When you lower the car, the camber will become more negative (the top of the tire will tilt inwards thus causing wear on the inside of the tire). You can correct this problem with camber kits. Depending on your car, Skunk2 or Ingalls, makes excellant kits. I have Skunk2 on the front and Ingalls on the rear. Both are excellant. Don't go with cheaper brands. You get what you pay for.

You will definately want to have a professional install the kit and then align it. They will have the tools/diagnostic computer at their disposal to do the job correctly. Don't try to do it yourself since you seemed not to understand the basics of automobile suspension. Not trying to give you a hard time but, dude, do you spend all of your time in the appearance/cosmetic forum?
Old 11-18-2004, 04:39 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not a lot but enough to notice when the tires are getting used. if i got a camber kit could i adjust it myself?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You could try to do it by eye, but 4 wheel alignment is the way to go. I just got a skunk2 front camber kit and did the washer trick for the rear and everything's aligned perfectly now oh yea i got eibach sportline springs by the way
Old 11-18-2004, 04:40 PM

Default Re: camber and lowering (bfong13)

well actually in GDD not a/c and ive never really gotten into suspension, just like the engine stuff, as u can tell. how would i fix my + camber, what would i have to replace?
Old 11-18-2004, 04:47 PM

i just remeberd about a yr ago i smacked a curb, it bent by stellie a lil and had to get it realigned. when i got it back the guy said nothing was bent, so what could bend?
Old 11-18-2004, 04:52 PM

my apologies if there are any ill feelings. i didn't mean to come out stomping if it that's what it sounded like.

if i were you, i would go to the alignment shop and find out for sure if your car has an alignment problem. get the results of your alignment and see if they are in specs or not. it all depends on how hard you hit the curb. when was your last alignment? it could be that your car is just out of alignment and nothing is wrong. get it checked first.

if everything is fine, then modify to your hearts content. if not, get it fixed first. what you have to fix depends on what is wrong with it.

Old 11-18-2004, 04:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bfong13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my apologies, if i upset you at all.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
its cool u didnt upset me, uve actaully been the most help but it has been a almost a yr, damn time flies.the 29th will be a yr. when i got it done the specs where:
FL and FR- camber-1, caster 2.2, and toe was 0.12
RL and RR- camber 0.7, toe 0.16

Modified by egcoupe at 6:54 PM 11/18/2004
Old 11-18-2004, 05:54 PM

could it just be cuz its been a long time cuz the dude said nothing was bent when i 1st got it done
Old 11-18-2004, 05:58 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Your toe will be **** either way so you will need an allighment. Save yourself the money and buy a camber kit while you are at it.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:58 PM

did you get it aligned after the accident or before? Camber isnt adjustable on civics so somethings wrong or you lifted your car. Does it just look like + camber or did you get it aligned and made sure it was?
Old 11-18-2004, 06:04 PM

Default Re: camber and lowering (cappa)

after.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cappa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Does it just look like + camber or did you get it aligned and made sure it was?</TD></TR></TABLE>
well it looks like and the the car pulls to the right. i think i messed up on those specs.
its has actual, before,specified and range. its the actual right?
Old 11-18-2004, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah if you get a camber kit it should solve the problem. the ingalls is a good kit. usually you won't get bad camber till you drop your car 2" or more but i guess its different in your case
Old 11-18-2004, 06:19 PM

when was the last time you got it aligned? over time, it is possible to get out of alignment.

"actual" is what your car is after the tech has performed the alignment

it's been a year since your accident or since you've last had it aligned? i'm assuming you had it aligned after your accident and this is what your results were?

Your results are not that bad. You have slight positive camber on the rear which is a little strange but not entirely a problem. You have a -1 camber on your front is which is in specs but should be a little closer to 0 for stock height. This is not entirely indicative of a problem though.

If it's been a while since your last alignment, go ahead and get a new alignment to know for sure. I don't think you have a problem with your alignment. If you lower your car, definately get front and rear camber kits and get an alignment each and everytime you make a change. It will save your tires in the long run and your car will be more stable when you drive it.

Old 11-18-2004, 06:28 PM

oops i messed up on the specs then. its been a yr since my last alignment which i got after the accident. my specs after getting the aling ment done were:
FL- camber 0.7, caster 0.4, toe 0.03
FR- camber -0.8, caster -4.5, toe 0.01
FRONT- cross camber 1.4, cross caster 4.9, total toe 0.04

RL- camber 0.1, toe 0.10
RR- camber -0.8, toe .10
REAR- total toe 0.20
thrust angle 0.00

i took it to wheel works and the first time they didnt even align it at all( or so it felt) so i took it back and i think they actually did do it but it still felt fucked but i was sick of dealing w/ them cuz of their service and ****

Quick Reply: camber and lowering