Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

camber kit all the way out...still 2 deg off. more than one solution?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camber kit all the way out...still 2 deg off. more than one solution?

I have a del sol that is dropped nicely. I have a skunk2 camber kit that is adjusted all the way out, and just had it alligned but camber is 2 deg off in the front. Is my only solution to raise the car up?

[img][/img]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-17-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: camber kit all the way out...still 2 deg off. more than one solution? (hbracer93)

it in the front or rear???
Old 12-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: camber kit all the way out...still 2 deg off. more than one solution? (USDMej1)

sorry in the front
Old 12-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

raise it or get arms that allow for more degrees of adjustment...which, i cant tell you
2* isnt going to mess up anything though...
Old 12-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

i already ate through a set of front tires after i had it alligned the first time
Old 12-17-2006, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (hbracer93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hbracer93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i already ate through a set of front tires after i had it alligned the first time </TD></TR></TABLE>

What was your alignment setting? Specifically that of the toe per wheel?
Old 12-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chrisw85)

the numbers i am not sure of, they alligned it and said it was good and now the insides of my tires are bald. but after going to get another allignment(no suspension changes have been made) they said the only things that were off was camber by 2 deg and caster but i dont think the caster number was too bad
Old 12-17-2006, 08:09 PM

i bet your toe is not set to 0. camber alone will not wear the innermost part of the tire so quickly, toe settings other then 0 will, and at an accelerated rate if you have more than normal camber.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my last allignement was done on september 29th 2005...i think i made it sound like it was a few months and this wear occured. but the uneven wear has me concerned. The rest of the tire is almost down to the low tread indicator and the inside has no tread at all. i should go back and get a print out of what the numbers are. How much will 2 degs of camber affect tire wear?
Old 12-17-2006, 08:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hbracer93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my last allignement was done on september 29th 2005...i think i made it sound like it was a few months and this wear occured. but the uneven wear has me concerned. The rest of the tire is almost down to the low tread indicator and the inside has no tread at all. i should go back and get a print out of what the numbers are. How much will 2 degs of camber affect tire wear?</TD></TR></TABLE>

2 degs is nothing. Listen. Toe has a much bigger effect on inner tire wear than camber does. If they set you to stock spec'd toe settings while at -2deg camber you will wear the tires out. With anything other than stock suspension, stock camber, you want 0 toe. Think about it this way, if you lower your suspension and use a different setup, why should stock settings still apply?
Old 12-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I should go back get another allignment have them set my toe to "0" and not worry about raising the car up, because -2 deg is the best that my camber will get. Thanks now I just need to solve the problem of the striped out threads(bolt and fork) I think I'll just use a nut and bolt. Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:18 PM

Yes. If you toe is set to 0 per wheel, and you still have that wear even at -2, then one or more of your bushigns are worn and need replacement. Its one thing to get a static alignment to show 0 but dynamically a worn bushing can affect it when the car is in the slightest of motion. Also make sure the tie rods ends and inner tie rods are in good conditionl same applies here, worn parts will show ok numbers on static but horrible dynamic.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if its adjusted all the way and its still way off, then something is bent.

im gonna guess that the car was smashed and yer front cross member is toast.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just recently replaced the bushing with a urathane kit...as far as I know the car was never crashed nor are there any signs that it has been. I know that on my civic the camber kit is all the way out and that one has no problems, but my del sol is lower than the civic. I'm thinking that the sol is to low for the camber kit to make it anyless of a degree.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:00 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: camber kit all the way out...still 2 deg off. more than one solution? (hbracer93)

-2.0* of front camber is not bad at all, and should absolutely not wear out the inner shoulder any more quickly than the factory camber setting. Your alignment shop is jacking you around. Post both the before and after alignment print-out sheets that they gave you (if they didn't, they're trying to hide something, and you should have asked for them), and I might be able to suggest what to do. It sounds to me like you still have a significant amount of toe-out remaining from lowering the ride height - i.e. the front toe setting was not zeroed out.

I've done alignments on a lot of stock and lowered cars, including my own. Even my soft summer tires don't have accelerated inside shoulder wear with approximately -2.0* front camber and just a hair of toe out. Something is definitely not right with your car.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: camber kit all the way out...still 2 deg off. more than one solution? (Targa250R)

I do not have print outs. I think they were just setting the toe to stock settings, and not zeroing it out. I am going to go back and get a print out they save them on the computer and I will be able to give full numbers. My 2 allignments were done at 2 different firestones(lifetime allignments). this most recent place they didnt even know I had a camber kit...I had to tell the guy that it was under the wheel well.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as the camber kit only going to -2* is that just because the car is to low for the kit to make a difference?
Old 12-18-2006, 08:01 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Try to get the printout. That will help us to help you.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hbracer93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as the camber kit only going to -2* is that just because the car is to low for the kit to make a difference?</TD></TR></TABLE>
What kit is it? Do you happen to know the camber spec after the car was lowered but before the camber kit was installed? Are you sure the kit is maxed out positive?
Old 12-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Targa250R)

It is the skunk2 camber kit. I installed it all at the same time, so I don't have those numbers. I went back when they had it on the machine and he showed me that when it was pulled out all the way the best it got was -2*. Then when he pushed it in it went further into the negative. As soon as my wife gets home I am going to run and get the print out, chances are they didn't adjust the toe any. Then we start getting to the facts instead of me not being sure on the actual specs.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i intsalled a full camber front and back onto my buddys car. Got everything aligned and the alignment shop said that one of the spindals where bent. So the only way to fix the camber issue was to heat and bend the spindal back to stock alignment. Fixed everything and all the camber was dialed in correctly. Also it will not hurt to get your front end alignment squared up
Old 12-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so no luck with the print out, but he did tell me that the toe was out when I brought the car to them and he set it correctly. I also realized why camber is off with the kit all the way out. How much does caster affect tire wear? He said my caster was a little off.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your do realize that having your car that low probably hinders the performance of your suspension.

did you install the skunks yourself?
if not have you checked them yourself to see if they are adjusted correctly?

honestly if you have them slid all the way out you should be precipitously close to hitting your inner fender well, you should check your clearance.

you could always get the camber kit that bolts to the a arms and come up through the shock towers..
Old 12-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instrument)

I did install the kit myself and they were adjusted correctly. They do hit the inside of the fender well...they have actually poked holes through the fender wells. I altered where the shock sit in the suspension fork and that is why the camber is all the way out...it shortened the length of the shock without losing any suspension travel.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hbracer93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok so no luck with the print out, but he did tell me that the toe was out when I brought the car to them and he set it correctly. I also realized why camber is off with the kit all the way out. How much does caster affect tire wear? He said my caster was a little off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The caster isn't your issue, it doesn't affect tire wear even 1/10th as much as toe or even camber. Does the car drive straight? How does it handle in the wet?

I have a lowered sol as well (about the same amount of drop) with a camber kit too and my toe got all fucked up after the drop. Never really got around to fixing it (and no one will align a lowered car in my area) so I just burned through two new tires in about 3 months (bummer): the tires are totally warn on both inside faces. My camber is also around -2degs but my toe is obviously way out.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take pics of the tire wear, i would be more than willing to bet that with proper maintenance (rotations every 5k miles, air pressure weekly, and alignment yearly) you will see NO accelerated tire wear with -2 degrees camber, thats not too far out of factory specs just so you know.

Quick Reply: camber kit all the way out...still 2 deg off. more than one solution?