From Camaro's to Civic's...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:25 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From Camaro's to Civic's...

Needing some advice ladies n gent's,

The Story

Just bought a 92 civic, automatic, for a great price, daily driver at 1200 dollars, awesome interior. However, the motor blew on me 4 weeks after having it. I have pulled the motor and tranny already, took a day by myself.

Advice

Now my question is, since everything is out, and I've really become a fan of the Honda, (since all I've owned are camaro's, which suck to work on, 3 hr job to screw around with spark plugs.) is what motor to put in?

Any links would be helpful, but mostly, the b16a looks very compatible, and a very quick swap, but there are always small things that isn't said... like what will need to be changed besides ECU, tranny, shift linkage, ect... what about mounts? Will I be able to keep power steering with a b16a?

And last, but not least, is there a website where I can find the horsepower of these engines? Are all b16a's (siR, OBD1/2) all rated at 160 HP?

Any advice is welcome to the honda noob, purchasing sites, swap sites, other post links, ect.

Best online swaps I've found all average around $1,700 USD... is that fair?

Thx
Old 01-30-2010, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: From Camaro's to Civic's...

I feel ya on the Camaro spark plugs, changing those things is way too much of a royal PITA.

Idk a lot about the B series or swaps, heck I'm still learning my little Z6 inside and out. But I do what I can to help fellow Honda owners. Exactly which B series to drop in or any motor for the matter, I think is completely up to you and how you plan on using the car, so researching the engine is best imo.

Quick little Swap Info thread: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/engine-swap-info-faqs-how-ck-engine-lights-878010/
Check out the FAQ too at the top of this forum section, tons of good links and information there: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/faqs-frequently-asked-tech-questions-1998336/
If your looking for a place to buy a motor, check out http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/
I haven't used them personally but a buddy of mine got his B from there without any problems, plus it's the most popular engine store on HT.

And some B16A's are rated at 160hp and some at 170hp, it varies around there.
Some B series info, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B...B_.28Type_R.29

And Welcome to HT!
Old 01-30-2010, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you I would be ditching that automatic ASAP, do a 5-spd conversion. Theres already articles on here about how to do it and lots of people think you have to cut a hole or something for the clutch pedal and get scared, you don't cut a hole..you bolt in a manual pedal assembly.

That auto tranny is going to hold you back until you get rid of it and a B16A mated up to say an LS integra auto tranny in your civic is going to just suck ***. Friend of mine swapped an LS into his wifes EJ1 and used the LS auto tranny and it really just sucked. The B16A(or any engine for that matter)will suck unless hooked to a 5-spd.

Probably not what you wanted to hear..but its the truth. If you swap in a B16A you will need to get the tranny anyways so instead of staying automatic and using an LS auto tranny, get the B16A Si tranny(5-spd)and then get the rest of the parts needed for the auto to manual conversion. You will be glad you did.

BTW, I feel you on the camaro spark plugs as well. Girl I dated back in 05/06 had a 95 Z28 and I went to change the plugs and it was a ROYAL pain in the you know what. After that the only thing I did on that car was an oil change.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:53 AM
New User

Cheers fellas. I really appreciate the help. There's 8 inches of snow on the ground so it looks like the little guy will stay jacked up and covered for a few days. I'll do some researching and what not as well, but definitely a push in the right direction.

Lookin forward to the work, a lot seems possible with this model.

Again, Cheers!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

u also should take into consideration is this going to be your daily driver? if you want good gas mileage 5spd is better anyway unless u drive like me lol or if your just looking to do a mean swap id say go with the b16 and beef it up

again, i agree with everyone else, convert to 5spd
Old 01-30-2010, 06:32 AM
New User

i am on my 3rd ls1 camaro. the plugs arnt easy specialy #8 but with 320hp to the wheels stock its worth it to me. I just did the plugs in my 96 civic which is my winter beater and its soooooo much easier lol. Its actualy my 2nd civic.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When you sell your Camaro's you can cut off your mullet!

B16's are fun and relatively inexpensive. If the shell you bought is in good shape then you can't feel too bad about dropping 1200 on it even if the motor blew. But you should TP the guys house for selling it to you, he knew it was gonna go!
Old 01-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did a JDM B16 swap a couple years ago and im still enjoying the motor to this day.. the JDM B16 is rated at 170 hp and i think a few more lb.ft. of torque compared to the 160 hp form the USDM version - the swap is very straight forward if you order a full swap, i ordered mine from Hmotorsonline.com and it was 2600 shipped to my house from cali (i live in NY) the swap comes with everything you need except for the 5 spd components to swap it to 5 spd - if i were you id opt for the LSD tranny for 300 extra, im still kicking myself in the *** for not doing that

once you get the swap its the opposite of removal just drop it in and bolt up all the mounts - the exhaust will lineup after you spin the cat a little, the ECU will plug right in, and the linkage will bolt up the same as before as well.. well not exactly since yours was auto but it will bolt right in

also when i ordered my motor it came with the PS pump so all i had to do was run my old PS fluid line to the new pump and bleed it then hook up the belt to the pump and tighten it up

GL with whatever you choose to do but basically any Bseries full swap that you order (B18c1, B18b, B18a, B18c5, B20a, B20z) will bolt right up due to the fact that 94-01 integras have practically the same exact chassis as 92-95 civics oh and hmotors is a highly regarded and respected website to order from alot of the other sites are iffy at best - if i were you and you found a good deal on a motor from a site other than hmotors i would do a quick search on here and google and see if there are any horror stories about that site, customer service, and quality of products
Old 01-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and im not sure what model car you have so unless its a VX or EX then your going to have to wire Vtec in as well.. this isnt a hard task, it requires you to run two wires from the ECU to two wires on the harness then bam your crackin vtec all dayyyy hahah

GL Bro
Old 01-30-2010, 07:25 AM
New User

[QUOTE=rycrkt;41412329]When you sell your Camaro's you can cut off your mullet!

hey hey hey take it easy lol
Old 01-30-2010, 01:52 PM
New User

Great info guys, Lookin into the full swaps, really cant beat a motor with 35k miliage for 2600 at all. Just worried about the auto to standard swap, Might have to order a pedal assembly and mounts along with the LSD, might be runnin close to $3k. Lookin for a place to put the master cyl. too.

and BTW, I live in East TN... All business in the front, PARTY in the back! lol
Old 01-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaNoobster
and BTW, I live in East TN... All business in the front, PARTY in the back! lol
Oh dude! thats dangerously close to West Virginia!

Do not pass on the LSD. One wheel peel doesn't work. You will kick yourself later for not dropping the extra 3 bills.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why do you want PS in a small car anyhow? It feels better without it and it's a waste. I took mine out 8 years ago.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're starting fresh, there's no reason not to opt for a straight GSR or at least an LS/VTEC with a GSR tranny. Some will argue that the B16 is a better choice (tranny and/or longblock that is) but i disagree. All of the B16 setups i've ridden in have been rather unimpressive unless built and boosted...in which case they're very polarized. They make noticeably less torque than a comparable GSR or LS/VTEC and with less displacement, future modifications, including boost, are further limited.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:50 PM

really wut part of east tn r u n im n white pine a bout a hour or so north of knoxville if ur newere near there and need some help then just pm me on here ill be more than happy to help a lil bit and i actually mite be able to get u that bswap a whole lot cheaper thru a guy i work with who own morristown honda then i got my cert honda mechanic buddies in knox that i get all my stuff from ie mugen 4-2-1 d-series header ($80)
Old 01-31-2010, 09:54 PM

just look under wikipedia it will tell you all the specs of the different motors. go with a GSR motor that my favorite lol
Old 01-31-2010, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
i am on my 3rd ls1 camaro. the plugs arnt easy specialy #8 but with 320hp to the wheels stock its worth it to me. I just did the plugs in my 96 civic which is my winter beater and its soooooo much easier lol. Its actualy my 2nd civic.
The LS1 F-body's are underrated but they don't put down 320rwhp stock. Though some nipping 300rwhp isn't too uncommon.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Great info guys, Lookin into the full swaps, really cant beat a motor with 35k miliage for 2600 at all. Just worried about the auto to standard swap, Might have to order a pedal assembly and mounts along with the LSD, might be runnin close to $3k. Lookin for a place to put the master cyl. too.
Easiest thing to do for pedals is pull them from a junked civic or integra, you'll also need the hardline that runs along the firewall, and the coupler that goes in the middle of it. You will also need to either get an auto to manual swap mount or drill the spot welds out of the passenger's side pocket mount welded to the frame and replace it with the manual version. Master cylinder simply bolts to the back of the clutch pedal, all the holes and studs are there.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Easiest thing to do for pedals is pull them from a junked civic or integra, you'll also need the hardline that runs along the firewall, and the coupler that goes in the middle of it. You will also need to either get an auto to manual swap mount or drill the spot welds out of the passenger's side pocket mount welded to the frame and replace it with the manual version. Master cylinder simply bolts to the back of the clutch pedal, all the holes and studs are there.

X2, right on.

On the auto cars all Honda did was bolt a metal plate over the hole where the clutch master cylinder goes on a manual car. Take the bolts off and toss the plate away and your master cylinder will go in its place.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great info guys, Lookin into the full swaps, really cant beat a motor with 35k miliage for 2600 at all.
Says who? The 35k mile motor swap thing was a huge marketing scam the US auto recyclers came up with to sell motors.

Considering an oil change is like $120 in Japan, your average Japanese person rarely changes their oil, if ever.

Make sure you completely overhaul that engine as it probably has the original motor oil sitting in it.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my advice-find a honda guy near you to help out

auto to manual is harder than a swap, because u need to do some custom fab. for the pedals and such. not hard just takes time/knolege

swap is straight forward.
h-t is here to help anyways have a problem post up

b16 is good rev happy motor, but consider a b18c and you will be happy.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Koopa Troopa
Says who? The 35k mile motor swap thing was a huge marketing scam the US auto recyclers came up with to sell motors.

Considering an oil change is like $120 in Japan, your average Japanese person rarely changes their oil, if ever.

Make sure you completely overhaul that engine as it probably has the original motor oil sitting in it.
its not cheap for a reson, becuase the people can afford it.
sure its expensive but the people driving the cars are not poor

but about mileage its give or take ur engine probaly has anything rangine from 100k-200k or even more. anyhting under 100k is rediculous to even beleive , maybe like 20% of the motors are under 100k

obviously the people selling the motors could care less haha.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by v8killaz
its not cheap for a reson, becuase the people can afford it.
sure its expensive but the people driving the cars are not poor

Dude, I've been living in Japan for 5 years. Don't try to debate with me if you're lacking the experience to defend your rebuttal. Just be appreciative of the good advice I posted

If you honestly think that an average (Remeber, in my original post I said "average") Japanese dude driving an 18 year old Honda is sitting on **** tons of cash then you need to open a window and get some fresh air.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:29 AM
New User

Originally Posted by perfectdisguise
The LS1 F-body's are underrated but they don't put down 320rwhp stock. Though some nipping 300rwhp isn't too uncommon.

My ss put down 320hp and 322 torque to the wheels uncorrected and put down 315hp and 332 torque to the wheels ase corrected. My scanner is busted and I dont have the corrected dynochart but I have the uncorrected....here you go

Old 02-02-2010, 06:47 PM

To put it in perspective an average SS/SC dyno's ~215whp stock, I can show you a dyno of one that reads 23Xwhp. Didn't trap any higher than other SC's.

Quick Reply: From Camaro's to Civic's...