Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CAI arrived - coximport.com

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI arrived - coximport.com

My CAI arrived as scheduled today through coximport.com's free shipping and the $10 coupon. The box took it's fair share of typical UPS handling and thankfully the contents all arrived and were ok for the most part.

I've never put an intake on and I was curious... Two of the lips on the tubes are slightly squished inward in one spot to create a flat spot on a circular opening... I don't know these things, but is this supposed to be this way? I wouldn't think it is but I'm not sure and I don't want to bend it back if it's supposed to be that way, but why would it be?... kinda silly... But none of this is coximport.com's fault, it's a manufacturer issue. Coximport.com was pretty prompt with everything, the tracking number was sent the day after I ordered it and it arrived in a week (not bad for free right?) and came on the scheduled day. So for coximport.com for being cool... Tnx for free shipping and the coupon!
Old 10-03-2002, 04:07 PM

Default Re: CAI arrived - coximport.com (iviZeRoCooLivi)

not sure about the flat spot....but it always feels good to receive things when they say....puts a smile on your face....
Old 10-03-2002, 05:01 PM

Default Re: CAI arrived - coximport.com (SPDRSR1)

Come on guys, I know more than half of you put on an intake before... Help a man out, I want this bitch on my car soon so I just need to know if the lip ends are supposed to have a flat spot in them and some tips on the bypass valve if you got any... (washington gets pretty rainy right now until like june... i hate it...)
Old 10-03-2002, 05:47 PM
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what are you worried about exactly? the lip (i am failing to grasp on what you mean) or bead is there to keep the silicone hose on as you clamp it down, if the tube itself is deformed, then take pliers and fix it. otherwise, the install is as easy as turning the screwdriver and using 10mm so et wrench.
stan
Old 10-03-2002, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bypass is a matter of fitting the intake on and choosing a spot. Heres where mine went -

I just cut like an inch or so ring out of it then put the bypass on, gotta love the mighty dremel.

[Modified by splitime, 2:58 AM 10/4/2002]
Old 10-03-2002, 06:15 PM

Default Re: CAI arrived - coximport.com (splitime)

I'm gonna have to use a hacksaw I'm talkin about the outer edge (the very end) of the tubes on the bead ends... Both tubes have a "flat" spot on them that makes the hole not totally round... I gave my grampa back his badass digital camera and the one we got sux so if I took a pic it would prolly look like some blue blob with a fuzzy hole...
Old 10-03-2002, 06:45 PM

Should I put the valve somewhere before the aem sticker and the sensor hole for mine? I know some of you 6g guys have done this...
Old 10-03-2002, 07:32 PM

I ordered from them as well and installed my CAI last week.. The tube should not be flat in any spots, it should be nice and round.

I didn't even bother putting a bypass valve on my car so I can't help you on that one. Good luck with it, the sound of the AEM CAI is great.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:55 PM

Default Re: CAI arrived - coximport.com (skhonda)

As for the flat spots, are you talking about the little nipple(s) where the breather hose hooks up? If so, I've never noticed any being bent or flattened. If that's all it is, I would think it would be fine, that's basically just for emissions anyway.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:19 PM

Default Re: CAI arrived - coximport.com (Dave421)

no it's on the ends of the trubes, the actual connecting O's that are 2.5 inch diameter but it's only the ends with the bead

Anyone put a bypass valve inbetween the two tubes? is that smart or super stupid? I would rather not chop up something I spent $200 on with a hacksaw if I don't have to but I don't want to do something that makes me lose power by letting in hot air in a bad spot??? Anyone do this or know if I did if it would still fit or if it's ok to do? I'm prolly not installing it myself :/ I have to work saturday and my dad wants to put it on saturday and since he's gonna help me out and thats his only free day I'm kinda screwed... god damn rite-aid and workin 1-9:30 sux *** and takes up all your time...

Thanks y0!
Old 10-03-2002, 08:45 PM

Ok. So...lemme get this straight.

There are two issues here.

1). The flat spots.

2). Where to put the bypass valve.

Am I right?

About these flat spots. I've only personally dealt with one AEM intake before but I didn't have flat spots and I've never heard of this before. My guess is that unless it obviously looks dented, it won't be a big deal.

You have a two piece intake? And you want to install a bypass valve? I think it would generally be easiest to just put the bypass in between the two pipes like you said. But the bypass valve isn't something you really need. I understand about the rain, believe me, but you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Just idle the car through puddles. Unless you already have the valve of course. But I'm rambling

If you do want to wait to install it, and need some help, I'm free most afternoons (not this weekend) and would be happy to lend a hand.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:04 PM

Default Re: CAI arrived - coximport.com (delsolguy)

cool.. .you're helpful The "dent" is on the very end of the tubes the rounded end has part of the round spot flattened to so it's kinda like (_) but not that severe... I was curious if the valve would lose more power between the pipes as compared to cutting like the instructions say (since I've already got it and it's been rainy lately and I drive to school in the mornings... I jsut want to put it on) But then I hear about people taking them off and you can't take it off if you cut the tube up so maybe they didn't... I suppose I can put it between the tubes for the winters and take it off when it stops raining besides, without lsd I have no need for performance in the rain my tires just spin and spin and spin

I guess I'll do that... Maybe if I get my *** up early enough I might be able to get it done before I go to work on saturday... If not I can always make my parents give me a ride and pick me up I guess, they'd rather I do it right than rush it back together and drive with something fucked up
Old 10-03-2002, 09:14 PM

If its any consolation, putting an intake on your car is definitely one of the easiest mods you can do..

Unless the 'flat spots' are like pinching it and restricting airflow in some major way, don't worry about it. Think of an intake like a filter-on-a-stick. The whole idea behind an intake is very simple and hard to mess up.

As far as the bypass valve goes, I don't see how the position along the intake pipe could/would affect performance at all, since the only time it opens is when there is enough vacuum created in the pipe (aka when the engine is sucking air and water is blocking the entire filter).

Also, typical rain around here *also a PacNW native* won't hydrolock your engine. You need to ingest a pretty good gulp of water to damage your engine.. I don't know about AEM but if you have a K&N oiled filter, keep it well oiled and clean and you should be just fine..

Good luck!!!
Old 10-03-2002, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAI arrived - coximport.com (ride_with_me)

heres my aem intake w/ bypass valve form my old coupe.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:21 PM

Default Re: CAI arrived - coximport.com (zzZZzzleeperCX)

...and it's between the two tubes I might still put it on and just take it off when it stops raining as much as it's gonna...

Thanks guys, I'll leave the flat spots alone so I don't chip/crack the paint
Old 10-03-2002, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why would you wanna take it off? its not like as if your lose power because of it. i never take the bypass valve off. even in the summer.