Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

IN CA..anyone know if baring a SIR B16 92 Motor going to be a problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IN CA..anyone know if baring a SIR B16 92 Motor going to be a problem

I am about to pick up a B16 JDM motor Gen 2 for 92-95 EG's this week. I just want to make sure before I pick it up that I won't have any smog issues when trying to bar it.

Do I have to change the internals on this?? or can I just go with a US spec ECU and hope it passes smog clean with a good CAT.

Who knows what they look out for when BARING in CA..

Any info. would be greatly appreciated. I did a search on BAR motors and didn't come up with much.

Thanks.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: IN CA..anyone know if baring a SIR B16 92 Motor going to be a problem (Urugly)

u cant smog a jdm motor. the only way is if you stamp b16A1 i believ on it. the referee looks at the engine code and they knoe whats us and jdm. make sure you hook up all the smog devices and the charcoal canister and pcv is working
Old 03-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: IN CA..anyone know if baring a SIR B16 92 Motor going to be a problem (fmrprojects)

^ No offense but if you dont know for sure dont respond to smog questions.

If the motor is the same year or newer as your car then youll be fine. Just put all the usdm emissions **** on it and your good to go. JDM motors can pass no problem.

Date wise example:

A 93 motor can go into a 94 and under car. 95 motor can go in a 96 and under. You cant put a 93 motor into a 99 car. Same year as production car or newer.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IN CA..anyone know if baring a SIR B16 92 Motor going to be a problem (Luserkid)

You'll at least need a USDM intake arm (stock or CARB EO aftermarket), USDM exhaust manifold (stock or CARB EO aftermarket), and USDM ecu.

You'll also have to find a way to rig up an evap purge control solenoid onto the intake manifold. (Pm me on how to do this)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1307417

Hope that helps
Old 03-03-2006, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IN CA..anyone know if baring a SIR B16 92 Motor going to be a problem (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Date wise example:

A 93 motor can go into a 94 and under car. 95 motor can go in a 96 and under. You cant put a 93 motor into a 99 car. Same year as production car or newer. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So is it the same model year or newer?
Your saying that you can put a 93 engine in a 94 car? and a 95 in a 96.
But then you have a contradictory statement right beneath it.
Same model year or newer would mean a 93 model year engine in a 93 or lower model car. Can you clear that up for those that need it?
Old 03-03-2006, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IN CA..anyone know if baring a SIR B16 92 Motor going to be a problem (Furious Styles)

up up and away web
Old 03-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IN CA..anyone know if baring a SIR B16 92 Motor going to be a problem (Furious Styles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Furious Styles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So is it the same model year or newer?
Your saying that you can put a 93 engine in a 94 car? and a 95 in a 96.
But then you have a contradictory statement right beneath it.
Same model year or newer would mean a 93 model year engine in a 93 or lower model car. Can you clear that up for those that need it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not contradicting what i said. Engines were built before the car. If you go out to your car with a stock motor youll see on the engine stamp on the head that its a year before the body of your car.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Im not contradicting what i said. Engines were built before the car. If you go out to your car with a stock motor youll see on the engine stamp on the head that its a year before the body of your car. </TD></TR></TABLE>
NICE
Old 03-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not contradicting what i said. Engines were built before the car. If you go out to your car with a stock motor youll see on the engine stamp on the head that its a year before the body of your car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

so your saying swapping in a 98 Motor into my 99 Civic will be legal???
Old 03-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IN CA..anyone know if baring a SIR B16 92 Motor going to be a problem (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so your saying swapping in a 98 Motor into my 99 Civic will be legal??? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, because its the same year. You cant take a motor from a 98 car and put it in your 99 though.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, because its the same year. You cant take a motor from a 98 car and put it in your 99 though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats some good info.. never knew that...
Old 03-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IN CA..anyone know if baring a SIR B16 92 Motor going to be a problem (EeeJayEight)

Old 03-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is complete crap...

1). The stamp on the head is NOT the year the entire engine was built, only the head.
2). They don't go by the stamp on the head, they use the block number.
3). Only early production year cars will have an engine dated the year prior to the year of the car itself.
4). You can only install older year engines in the chassis IF that engine was also made the year of the chassis and the smog equipment for it remained unchanged.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IN CA..anyone know if baring a SIR B16 92 Motor going to be a problem (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is complete crap...

1). The stamp on the head is NOT the year the entire engine was built, only the head.
2). They don't go by the stamp on the head, they use the block number.
3). Only early production year cars will have an engine dated the year prior to the year of the car itself.
4). You can only install older year engines in the chassis IF that engine was also made the year of the chassis and the smog equipment for it remained unchanged.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The smog ref paid no attention to the block number under b16a on my SIR2 swap. He looked at the 9/2 stamped on my head. That and he checked for a complete evap system, cat, ECU, intake, intake manifold, and o2 sensor.

Also, make sure the engine is running right. (timing, fuel delivery, cooling system)
Old 03-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IN CA..anyone know if baring a SIR B16 92 Motor going to be a problem (EG6_GUY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG6_GUY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The smog ref paid no attention to the block number under b16a on my SIR2 swap. He looked at the 9/2 stamped on my head. That and he checked for a complete evap system, cat, ECU, intake, intake manifold, and o2 sensor.

Also, make sure the engine is running right. (timing, fuel delivery, cooling system)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you 100% sure he "paid no attention to it"? I can assure you, it is THE only way to date that block.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IN CA..anyone know if baring a SIR B16 92 Motor going to be a problem (Hybrid93Eg)

Every time theres a smog question why is it you (hybrid93eg) vs me on this subject. Remember on the last one we were in you were saying that it has to be the same year as the car 92-95 motor into a 92-95 and youll pass so a 93 into a 95. Well i went to the ref for my friends car and i asked the ref about it. They said they go by the head stamp for the year not the block because the block can be changed all the time. The block and head have to be the same (b16/b16, B18B/B18B etc) and they go off the head. That came directly from the refs mouth. Unless if your ref created the whole rulebook im going by my ref guy.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Every time theres a smog question why is it you (hybrid93eg) vs me on this subject. Remember on the last one we were in you were saying that it has to be the same year as the car 92-95 motor into a 92-95 and youll pass so a 93 into a 95. Well i went to the ref for my friends car and i asked the ref about it. They said they go by the head stamp for the year not the block because the block can be changed all the time. The block and head have to be the same (b16/b16, B18B/B18B etc) and they go off the head. That came directly from the refs mouth. Unless if your ref created the whole rulebook im going by my ref guy. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why is it you vs me? Because its facts vs shady mechanic hersay, thats why. I go to the Natomas referee. He is supposedly the "head" referee for this area. All I know is there is some big wig guy who works there and they do everything "by the book"... no shortcuts, no "well, I'll help you out with this", nothing. Anyways, look at it this way. My 92 B17 block with an 89 B16 head in a 93 Civic CX went to the referee. I said NOTHING about anything, I wanted to see if it would pass. When all was said and done, he came and told me it was a 92 block. Thats when I learned that it was legal because the B17 was made in 92 and 93 and emissions equipment did not change between years. If the head was all that mattered, I can assure you an OBD-0 head would never have passed. Right?

Second, your comment about the years of engines is crap. Anyone who knows cars and how the production dates work could clarify. Early year models will tend to have the previous year engines and parts in them. As the production year goes on, the engines will be dated the same year as the chassis. Go check around, see what you find. If you know how to date blocks that is.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why is it you vs me? Because its facts vs shady mechanic hersay, thats why. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You think he's a shady mechanic? Have you even seen his work? Where the **** do you think you can come off saying he's a shady mechanic? I work with him all the time and he and I both always make sure EVERYTHING works properly. No car is ever given back with a code. Never take short cuts.

You got some nerve call him a shady mechanic. He didn't come on here talking **** on any of your work, insulting your profession. You sir have no ******* respect for anyone. It's hard to believe that you're 27 years old. You're an ***.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow im a shady mechanic? Wheres your proof on that? Im pretty sure i have never done any work for you and for a matter of fact i have never meet you, and im the shady mechanic? Thats pretty interesting. How could you explain the many vouches i have from people that i have done work for (some on H-T, alot that arent). Im pretty sure they dont consider me a shady mechanic. So please enlighten me, how am i a shady mechanic?

You supposily passed a B17 block with a B16 head. Sounds to me your "head guy in the area" ref isnt. A mix and match motor is not suppose to pass. Its suppose to be the same block and head. And for it being obd0 in a obd1 car your ref sounds like the guy to go to when you know you cant pass and hell let you.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Consumer Affairs: Bur. Automotive Repair &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Certification Standards
Make sure the engine and emission control configuration on exhaust - controlled vehicles are certified to the year of the vehicle or newer, and to the same or a more stringent new vehicle certification standard</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://smogcheck.ca.gov/STDPAG...4.HTM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:
The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy- duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.
After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine
</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=385337

On top of that i have BAR'd, Ref'd and did exhaust test to a handfull of cars since i BAR'd my own. So you telling me im the shady mechanic hearsay and you have the facts smogging your illegal set up, i think you have that the other way around.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IN CA..anyone know if baring a SIR B16 92 Motor going to be a problem (SOHC4life 96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You think he's a shady mechanic? Have you even seen his work? Where the **** do you think you can come off saying he's a shady mechanic? I work with him all the time and he and I both always make sure EVERYTHING works properly. No car is ever given back with a code. Never take short cuts.

You got some nerve call him a shady mechanic. He didn't come on here talking **** on any of your work, insulting your profession. You sir have no ******* respect for anyone. It's hard to believe that you're 27 years old. You're an ***. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was speaking about the source of his facts... Do I know you? Am I talking to you? The answer is no.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why is it you vs me? Because its facts vs shady mechanic hersay, thats why.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Looks like someone is butt hurt over the fact that they were proved wrong. Get with the program, you obviously don't know what the hell you're talking about and this 'rep' you're saying that told you this is more than likely a friend that thinks he knows the technicals of smogging. Why call him a shady mechanic? Have you ever seen his work? Talked to his customer? No. Shut the expletive up and quit hating on people because they have information on something that you have very little of.

Despite, I've never met Victor face to face. I can honestly say he's the smartest person with cars I've ever met. I've known him for over a year and he's always been able to help me with any problems I've ran into, and given me the correct ways to do things. Don't call people out and say things about them that aren't true. Get a life.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you 100% sure he "paid no attention to it"? I can assure you, it is THE only way to date that block.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I am. That may be true, but whether or not every ref checks...who knows.

Best to just get a newer engine than the car.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow im a shady mechanic? Wheres your proof on that? Im pretty sure i have never done any work for you and for a matter of fact i have never meet you, and im the shady mechanic? Thats pretty interesting. How could you explain the many vouches i have from people that i have done work for (some on H-T, alot that arent). Im pretty sure they dont consider me a shady mechanic. So please enlighten me, how am i a shady mechanic?

You supposily passed a B17 block with a B16 head. Sounds to me your "head guy in the area" ref isnt. A mix and match motor is not suppose to pass. Its suppose to be the same block and head. And for it being obd0 in a obd1 car your ref sounds like the guy to go to when you know you cant pass and hell let you.

http://smogcheck.ca.gov/STDPAG...4.HTM

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=385337

On top of that i have BAR'd, Ref'd and did exhaust test to a handfull of cars since i BAR'd my own. So you telling me im the shady mechanic hearsay and you have the facts smogging your illegal set up, i think you have that the other way around.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have nothing "the other way around" as you say. In fact, because of this, I took the time to actually call the BAR and ask them this exact scenario. I told them I am putting an engine in my 92 Hatch and how they date the motor. He told me at first it went off the emissions label, but after better explaining myself I was then told it is indeed supposed to be based off the block and not the year of the head. PErhaps you should call yourself since you and your clan are quick to tell me I am full of crap.

Also, I never said anything about the motor being OBD-0, did I? Ummm, no. Again, reading will help you. I said the head was an 89 which would technically classify it as an OBD-0 head, if we used your rules of dating the motor by the head.... Which we know now from speaking directly with the BAR that is not how it SHOULD be done. The engine is my car was OBD-1, DUH, the block was a 92, the head was an 89. The intake manifold was from a 92-93 GSR. What else would you like to know? It was 100% legal and passed the correct inspection with correct procedures.

Advice...

1). Learn how to read. I was saying the source of your information sounded shady.. I never insulted your abilities directly.
2). Get more confident in your work so you don't get so butthurt when you misread someones comment and take it as a personal insult
3). My point of posting in the first place was to clear up some of the "crap" that floats around this place about BARing a car. You talk a big game. I have passed more then just my car, so don't try to make me out to be some homo who only did one setup and thinks he is an expert. I am not an expert, I make mistakes. The difference is I can accept that fact and admit when I am wrong. You on the other hand obviously get pretty butthurt over a mis-interpreted statement and take it as a personal attack. Chill out... Ease up... Use your resources to your advantage.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IN CA..anyone know if baring a SIR B16 92 Motor going to be a problem (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Looks like someone is butt hurt over the fact that they were proved wrong. Get with the program, you obviously don't know what the hell you're talking about and this 'rep' you're saying that told you this is more than likely a friend that thinks he knows the technicals of smogging. Why call him a shady mechanic? Have you ever seen his work? Talked to his customer? No. Shut the expletive up and quit hating on people because they have information on something that you have very little of.

Despite, I've never met Victor face to face. I can honestly say he's the smartest person with cars I've ever met. I've known him for over a year and he's always been able to help me with any problems I've ran into, and given me the correct ways to do things. Don't call people out and say things about them that aren't true. Get a life. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Again, someone else who hops on the bandwagon and comes in thinking I was attacking "victor" personally. Get off it. Go use your foul language somewhere else.

Proved wrong? Hmmm, thats not what the rep at the BAR seemed to have to say. But hey, you guys OBVIOUSLY know more then I do.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just got my car bard today and they asked me the year of my motor and I told them itd a 95 gsr but my block is a 99 block and they coud not tell. i first had skunk 2 intake manifold ls intake and a p28 cpu thats all the stuff they failed me for i changed all that to stock and failed again because my cat and then finally passed today after a replacing the cat again and another tune up with hotter plugs good luck

Quick Reply: IN CA..anyone know if baring a SIR B16 92 Motor going to be a problem