Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C compressor blowing hot air

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C compressor blowing hot air

Hello all,
I was having an issue with a/c blowing hot air, and found that 20A fuse #56 kept blowing. Mechanic, I’ve been going to for 2 decades, took a look and said “bad compressor” so I bought a new Denso 471-7050 and he installed it for me. It worked great briefly, then began to blow hot air.

I checked fuse, OK...Took it back to mechanic, who said “freon leak”, so he refilled it and “added purple dye, so we can find leak”, and sent me on my way. Again, it worked briefly but now hot. I can’t see signs of purple dye, on or around hoses and/or connections, or compressor, from top but not sure, where else to look.

Now, I’ve been trying to get in to see mechanic but he seems to be too busy or ignoring me...So, it looks like, I’m on my own, moving forward.
I appreciate your thoughts!

Old 06-15-2018, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: A/C compressor blowing hot air

There are a lot more connections than just those. The lines go all the way around across the front of the car, and through the firewall behind the battery. Inspect everywhere for dye. Dye is usually fluorescent yellow-green, like antifreeze. You can see it if you take one of the blue service caps off. If you have fluorescent dye, it is easiest to see in the dark using a "black light" CFL bulb in your droplight.

When you turn the A/C on, does the compressor engage? Does the condenser fan run? If not, it is possible the fuse is blown. If the fan runs but the compressor doesn't, it is likely that all the refrigerant has leaked out.

The next step would be to see if there is any pressure in the lines using gauges.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
There are a lot more connections than just those. The lines go all the way around across the front of the car, and through the firewall behind the battery. Inspect everywhere for dye. Dye is usually fluorescent yellow-green, like antifreeze. You can see it if you take one of the blue service caps off. If you have fluorescent dye, it is easiest to see in the dark using a "black light" CFL bulb in your droplight.

When you turn the A/C on, does the compressor engage? Does the condenser fan run? If not, it is possible the fuse is blown. If the fan runs but the compressor doesn't, it is likely that all the refrigerant has leaked out.

The next step would be to see if there is any pressure in the lines using gauges.
Thanks!
When I turn the A/C on, the compressor does not appear to engage the clutch, if that's what you meant. The condenser fan does run. If I'm understanding you, it sounds as if, it's likely that all the refrigerant has leaked out. If yes, I'll have to inspect, for dye more thoroughly but unfortunately, I don't have a "black light", drop-light or gauges. Are any of these, typically available, on free loaner programs, at auto parts stores? Also, what precautions, if any, do I need to take, if I remove one of the blue service caps off?
Old 06-15-2018, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have the equipment to verify if the system is currently holding a charge, or is it all done by that shop? What is the year and trim of the Civic in question? What compressor part # did you replace it with?

Any decent mechanic/shop should have a refrigerant leak detector that senses the halogen refrigerant itself. If this one doesn't, it might be time to find a new shop-- or at least an A/C shop that can handle this unit.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:37 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

ac compressor's do not blow hot air.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sumdewd
Do you have the equipment to verify if the system is currently holding a charge, or is it all done by that shop? What is the year and trim of the Civic in question? What compressor part # did you replace it with?

Any decent mechanic/shop should have a refrigerant leak detector that senses the halogen refrigerant itself. If this one doesn't, it might be time to find a new shop-- or at least an A/C shop that can handle this unit.
Thanks!
My bad, it's a 96 Civic EX.
I don't have the equipment, to verify if the system is currently holding a charge...Is it typically available as "free loaner" from auto parts stores?
To recap...I’ve been trying to get in to see the mechanic, I’ve been going to for 2 decades. He installed a new Denso 471-7050, for me and when it stopped blowing cold air said “freon leak”, refilled it and “added purple dye, so we can find leak”. BUT now, he seems to be too busy, on vacation or ignoring my calls...So, it looks like, you may be right.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
ac compressor's do not blow hot air.
My ac compressor does not blow cold air...
Happy?
Old 06-16-2018, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thing is, you can't really tell how much of a charge there is in the A/C unit if you put gauges on there. You can have the same static non running pressure at 3oz and 30oz since refrigerants are condensible.

The 96 Civic is one of the easiest A/C systems I've ever worked on. Almost everything is easy to reach and in sight. I wouldn't take it back to this shop but rather a dedicated A/C shop. A good one will have an all-in-one recovery station that can recover, weigh, charge, and evacuate the system. They will also have electronic leak detectors.

You can kind of skate by with little Walmart cans, a manifold set, and an electric vacuum pump, but you're guessing and it's never worth it on a small unit like this. My recommendation is to find a shop and see what they say. They can recover the refrigerant (if any) and weigh how much was left, and find the leak.

I reread your post and it seems like you may have more going on with the fuse popping. Does that still pop, and does the condenser fan come on with the A/C button on and blower fan on?
Old 06-16-2018, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The OP said the fuse was blowing due to a shorted compressor, so the compressor was replaced.

It does take an investment in tools to work on A/C yourself. A manifold set would be the first A/C tool to buy, they are about $100. I don't think anyone has them as a "loaner" program since it is a precision item that needs to be carefully taken care of.

If the static pressure drops below 50 psi, which is basically a total leak-out, the pressure switch will open and the compressor won't run. This can also be checked by testing the switch with an ohmmeter if you don't have gauges.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thing is, you can't really tell how much of a charge there is in the A/C unit if you put gauges on there. You can have the same static non running pressure at 3oz and 30oz since refrigerants are condensible.

The 96 Civic is one of the easiest A/C systems I've ever worked on. Almost everything is easy to reach and in sight. I wouldn't take it back to this shop but rather a dedicated A/C shop. A good one will have an all-in-one recovery station that can recover, weigh, charge, and evacuate the system. They will also have electronic leak detectors.

You can kind of skate by with little Walmart cans, a manifold set, and an electric vacuum pump, but you're guessing and it's never worth it on a small unit like this. My recommendation is to find a shop and see what they say. They can recover the refrigerant (if any) and weigh how much was left, and find the leak.

I reread your post and it seems like you may have more going on with the fuse popping. Does that still pop, and does the condenser fan come on with the A/C button on and blower fan on?
Thanks!
I'll stop by my mechanics and give him a "WTF?" but in the mean time, I'll be looking into a dedicated AC shop, as you recommend.
No, the fuse no longer pops, with the new Denso compressor installed.
Yes, the condenser fan comes on, with the A/C button on and blower fan on.

How does this sound?

Last edited by g4384063; 06-16-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

ac compressor doesn't blow air PERIOD
Old 06-16-2018, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your posts are not helpful PERIOD
Old 06-16-2018, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HURR HURR

Yeah dude you can really screw off with this crap. It's Honda-Tech, not Honda-Post-Whoring-Bullshit. We knew what he meant with the freaking A/C system but I guess you didn't.

Per the sticker on the wifey's 96 Civic, it uses 21.2.-22.9oz. They might charge you more since it's outside of the 1 pound range. Just make sure they don't charge you twice because your system has a known leak. Let them know before you agree to whatever it is.

Last edited by sumdewd; 06-16-2018 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Really?
Old 06-16-2018, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just bought a 30 lb tank of R-134a for $120.00. So don't waste it by for example charging a known leaker, but on the other hand don't let someone convince you it's expensive like gold.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just bought a 30 lb tank of R-134a for $120.00. So don't waste it by for example charging a known leaker, but on the other hand don't let someone convince you it's expensive like gold.
Last June I bought two 30lb cylinders from Samsclub for about 90 bucks a piece to use with my refrigerant scale.

Those Walmart cans are still $4.88 around here for 12oz and it's still legal to do a static charge of R134a for leak checking. That's about the only use I see for them these days, honestly.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can get a cheap penlight UV dye detector (with glasses) at most Wal-Marts or similar retailers these days. Don't waste your time or $$$ buying the little cans of refrigerant off the shelf though and PLEASE don't buy those cans that have "pre-filled with oil and stop-leak" written on them all you'll wind up doing is costing yourself more $ down the road as the majority of the A/C system will have to be ripped out & replaced.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/A-C-Pro-U...n-Kit/36156585 (Personally own & use this kit)

Amazon Amazon

Anytime you see notes on a Repair/Work Order about dye it is going to be UV dye.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The OP said the fuse was blowing due to a shorted compressor, so the compressor was replaced.

It does take an investment in tools to work on A/C yourself. A manifold set would be the first A/C tool to buy, they are about $100. I don't think anyone has them as a "loaner" program since it is a precision item that needs to be carefully taken care of.

If the static pressure drops below 50 psi, which is basically a total leak-out, the pressure switch will open and the compressor won't run. This can also be checked by testing the switch with an ohmmeter if you don't have gauges.
Thanks!
Too bad, no loaner, that’d be helpful but fwiw, I saw some gauges at HF, for under $70 that I think might be what I need.

That said, the $29.95 a/c special, I posted is from a general mechanic, like the one I can’t get a hold of, so I’m still looking into dedicated auto a/c shops. Found one pretty close, online with great reviews, so I’m interested to see what he his deal is.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HURR HURR

Yeah dude you can really screw off with this crap. It's Honda-Tech, not Honda-Post-Whoring-Bullshit. We knew what he meant with the freaking A/C system but I guess you didn't.

Per the sticker on the wifey's 96 Civic, it uses 21.2.-22.9oz. They might charge you more since it's outside of the 1 pound range. Just make sure they don't charge you twice because your system has a known leak. Let them know before you agree to whatever it is.
Thanks, appreciate ya’!
Ain't got no time, for a troll's

16 oz per pound?
Let them know, not to charge me twice because it’s leaking OR just let them know it’s leaking?

Last edited by g4384063; 06-17-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tell them that another mechanic had it full and running a few days ago, so if the problem now is a leak out don't just recharge it: find the leak.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Last June I bought two 30lb cylinders from Samsclub for about 90 bucks a piece to use with my refrigerant scale.

Those Walmart cans are still $4.88 around here for 12oz and it's still legal to do a static charge of R134a for leak checking. That's about the only use I see for them these days, honestly.
Originally Posted by jonsey1886
You can get a cheap penlight UV dye detector (with glasses) at most Wal-Marts or similar retailers these days. Don't waste your time or $$$ buying the little cans of refrigerant off the shelf though and PLEASE don't buy those cans that have "pre-filled with oil and stop-leak" written on them all you'll wind up doing is costing yourself more $ down the road as the majority of the A/C system will have to be ripped out & replaced.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/A-C-Pro-U...n-Kit/36156585 (Personally own & use this kit)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JOB594?tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-win10-other-nomod-us000-pcomp-feature-pcomp-wm-3-wm-4-wm-1&ref=aa_pcomp_aapi1

Anytime you see notes on a Repair/Work Order about dye it is going to be UV dye.
Thanks, to you all!
Although, not a member at Sams, this is very all very helpful information, should I end up trying to DIY this.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tell them that another mechanic had it full and running a few days ago, so if the problem now is a leak out don't just recharge it: find the leak.
Thanks!
So, basically, be honest with him. I'll tell him there was a leak suspected, it was recharged and dye added. I need him to find the leak and give estimate on fixing it. What would you tell him, if he asked why not bring it back, to the other mechanic?
Old 06-17-2018, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean you could say exactly what you told us. He's ignoring you, not working with your schedule, and is possibly not knowledgeable enough to work on this A/C system.

Might wanna see if the other one could give you a possible refund or some kind of credit, though. That would be the only benefit of going back. Entirely on you.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean you could say exactly what you told us. He's ignoring you, not working with your schedule, and is possibly not knowledgeable enough to work on this A/C system.

Might wanna see if the other one could give you a possible refund or some kind of credit, though. That would be the only benefit of going back. Entirely on you.
Thanks!
Sounds good...
Yeah, first, I'll try, to stop by and see the mechanic, who installed the new compressor. Depending, how that goes, I'll check out the dedicated pro, I found, too.

I re-read you, in an earlier post >>> "The 96 Civic is one of the easiest A/C systems I've ever worked on.". That said, if I can pick up the gauges and that penlight UV dye detector kit for less than $100, I'm wondering how "easy" is this job, for a newb?
Old 06-17-2018, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

just did mine now works great.
here's the ultimate guide:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...-home-1665946/

only thing missing is you need pag 46 oil not 150 or any other #.
helm manual has some good tips too.
can pm you a link if you want it.
the cheapy kozyvac unit i got from ebay is adequate.
rent one free from orly would be my advice
Old 06-18-2018, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tamboo
just did mine now works great.
here's the ultimate guide:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...-home-1665946/

only thing missing is you need pag 46 oil not 150 or any other #.
helm manual has some good tips too.
can pm you a link if you want it.
the cheapy kozyvac unit i got from ebay is adequate.
rent one free from orly would be my advice
Thanks!
Appreciate, the link, to the guide...
Looks like, I need more supplies and equipment.

Quick Reply: A/C compressor blowing hot air