Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Buying a swapped EG hatch? Good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a swapped EG hatch? Good idea?

I searched this topic on a few different sites and have not found a definitive answer. Also this is my first post so let me extend everyone a big HELLO. Moving onto my point.

I am currently driving around in a second generation Acura Legend, and looking to pick up something a little more rewarding to drive.

I have always loved fixed up eg hatches and I am now at a point where I am ready to make a purchase.

I have been looking in my area for pre-swapped hatches and have found a few, financially speaking, they are cheaper than buying a stock eg and then swapping, which I could very well do, I am a driveway mechanic and have been for sometime.

However if I do plan on doing the swap myself it probably wouldn't get done for awhile, being as hectic as my work/ school schedule is.

So Basically I am asking, would recommend buying a pre-swapped EG, as long as the work was done well (I can usually tell good work when I see it)?

Thanks for any advice/ experience's anyone can give me on this topic.

-James
Old 07-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buying a swapped EG hatch? Good idea? (ast_coastie)

Well dude to be honest i dont like buying a car from any one that is already swap the engine or already had done something to it. I just recently bought a 1992 civic si and i bought it for $3000. Some people said it was too much but i really think its fair. By the way that car was belong to a first owner which is a lady so the car was well taken car of, the inside is great and the out side need a paint job and some body work. But over all its a nice car. I baby my car i dont know about you. But if u feel like u found a good deal on a eg that already swap and safe then yah go for it. I hope that helps.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Anyone else have some incite on this topic?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have to say buying a swapped hatch isn't the best idea unless you know the person well who had it before to ensure it was taken care of. What I would say if you are looking for a swapped car, take a good look at it to make sure it isnt thrashed, especially if your buying one from a teenager..
Old 07-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just check everything out as much as you can.

I bought my first crx, swapped, with no problems. I talked to the owner who did the work and he knew everything and had a book of reciepts. I've owned the car for 2 years and ZERO issues.

I bought my eg hatch stock. Perfect condition, recently repainted and overall a great car. I redid everything to the car (interior and suspension, alarm, etc) and feel a stronger bond with the car. I'm no mechanic and had a shop do the swap. It was very pricey, but a year later, everything is still perfect. I've put about 12K miles on it with no issues.

I bought another crx recently, swapped, thinking it was a good deal. I could'nt go get it myself, so I sent a friend with money and a long list of stuff to look for. He got about 90% of the list right...lol.

When I got home and looked at the car, I was less than thrilled. Basically small stupid crap and fixing wiring issues. But, it was MUCH MUCH cheaper to buy the car swapped than it was to buy a stock car and swapping it (I paid about 3K for a b16 crx with alot of goodies).

When you do your own work, you feel a little bit more proud of the car. I do as much as I can, but sometimes have to have someone do the bigger tasks for me.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buying a swapped EG hatch? Good idea? (CapnKrunch)

I've considered finding a 5th gen sedan w/ a SiR or LS swap. But reliability is huge cause I'd have two kid seats in the back. So that route is out.

If it was just my ride and I hade a beater back up, ooohhh yaaaaa.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your a driveway mechanic go ahead and buy a swapped eg, I would. I bought a b16 swapped delsol for 1100 from a guy I know. He beat the hell outta it and burned a hole straight through the valve via nitrous oxide. Fixed the valve and had a trouble free car for two years, that is until I purchased a turbo.
He got the motor from the same place you would.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: (H Twenty Teg)

Well about 5 months ago i bought a 92 cx with a b16a from a stranger for 3800 clean title. ive had small issues. blew the diff. then later found out it was an ls tranny. and the throttle cable is stock so its ghetto. just small stuff. But I think i found a pretty good deal overall. Just research the car very well and you shouldnt have any issues.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H Twenty Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGLUVN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well about 5 months ago i bought a 92 cx with a b16a from a stranger for 3800 clean title. ive had small issues. blew the diff. then later found out it was an ls tranny. and the throttle cable is stock so its ghetto. just small stuff. But I think i found a pretty good deal overall. Just research the car very well and you shouldnt have any issues.</TD></TR></TABLE>
This same thing happend to my friend he bought a da with a b16a for $1100 and we later found out it had a ls tranny
Old 07-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (21)

Whatever car you buy just make sure the motor is USDM, the block/head aren't mismatched, its not turbo, and has low mileage. Also be sure to check that the motor is the same year or newer than the car... this will all help you on your way to becoming smog legal in Cali, which in return will mean less hassle from the cops and the smog stations.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:25 PM

of course you should get one. make sure its the vx model, thats my favorite and the lightest with vtec!
Old 07-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buying a swapped EG hatch? Good idea? (dc2sexy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dc2sexy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">of course you should get one. make sure its the vx model, thats my favorite and the lightest with vtec!</TD></TR></TABLE>

what does it matter if it has a 1.5l V-TEC E? .....wants it with a DOHC anyways.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sr420Det &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your a driveway mechanic go ahead and buy a swapped eg, I would.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Best said. I wouldn't spend more than $4k though, pending the entire cars condition. But if ya think a 150k CX or VX being 12 to 17 years old....worth $2k average....really clean motor staring out $2k.....just think about it.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buying a swapped EG hatch? Good idea? (D16Z6racing)

i would do it in a heart beat
Old 07-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Buying a swapped EG hatch? Good idea? (D16Z6racing)

I overpaid on my 92 cx hatch and couldn't be happier. On my 3rd motor in 1 year. The B16 just didn't cut it for me.

But I found a car with a stock motor that already had brakes and suspension done the way I was going to do it and also had a very clean interior.
Body needs help but for a drag/race hobby/toy car I really don't car about physical looks at this moment.

As long as it screams and my next motor should hold me off until I can afford an H22 and an evolution H2B kit.

Good Luck.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Buying a swapped EG hatch? Good idea? (sauceja)

i dont think i overpaid. its a clean title cx with new paint. dumped on blades. 1 piece projectors. integra interior. and other random ****. And it blue booked at 3650. So what? I over paid 150 for a **** load of goodies? come on now. Just find a deal and be happy.