Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Buying Ground Control Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Buying Ground Control Coilovers?

I was searching online for Ground Control Coil-overs for a 94 civic hatchback, but came across what spring rates to put?

My plan is to run coil-overs on stock shocks for now, but later on found out that in the website gc main site i had to type a spring rate????? . i dont know what spring rates to go with.

I want to run GC coilovers w/my stock shocks and if i have money in the future change it to yellow koni Shocks all four.

also i found out in some other websites that there are other types of Ground control coil-overs for my car, it says stocks, boge, sachs. and it seems that it can't be compatable w/Konis. What GC coilovers are best to work w/Stocks, and later in the future yellow KoniS?
Spring rates???

B4 i buy i want to know if wht to buy, or can all GC coilovers fit on to yellow koni,

This is my first time w/buying and i want to research.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buying Ground Control Coilovers?

I ran GC's on Kyb Agx's in a 94 hatch and it handled wonderfully. IMO save up a little longer and replace the stock shocks at the same time. If you're buying GC's get them directly from the company, heck I called when I ordered mine and I got exactly what I asked for. Koni yellow shocks would be even better than the Kyb's, either way wait and do both simultaneously. Gl!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Konis have a different type of mount than most of the other ones. I agree wait until you can afford shocks at the same time. You could call GC and tell them what your use for the car is and they can recommend you good spring rates.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "koni specific" GC coilovers aren't anything special. I accidentally ordered regular ones and installed them on Koni Yellows. They work fine, and it's cheaper.

From the pictures, the only difference is that the special coilovers sit right on the shock, and the way I did it is I put the lower spring perch on and set the aluminum shaft on that. It's clean and more expensive versus cheap and dirty.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
The "koni specific" GC coilovers aren't anything special. I accidentally ordered regular ones and installed them on Koni Yellows. They work fine, and it's cheaper.

From the pictures, the only difference is that the special coilovers sit right on the shock, and the way I did it is I put the lower spring perch on and set the aluminum shaft on that. It's clean and more expensive versus cheap and dirty.
the only reason people really get the gc/koni yellow are for track and autox use....if he aint using it for track and more for looks and comfort...i would do dropzone coilovers with kyb agx shocks.....
Old 09-19-2009, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: Buying Ground Control Coilovers?

So there's no difference when ordering it? Is it interchangeable then?
So if i buy the regular specificied GC coilover will fit koni?
or should i buy the Koni specificied GC coilover kit and fit Koni later?
Ill run a GC coilover w/Stocks and later Buy Koni Shocks when i get money..

thanks for ur info.. anyway
Old 09-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG-SIXV-TEC

str8 up save up for both of em at the same time....gc are too stiff and the shocks are gonna blow in less than a week...depening if the stock shocks are blessed and last u a while lol....
Old 09-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slammed em1
str8 up save up for both of em at the same time....gc are too stiff and the shocks are gonna blow in less than a week...depening if the stock shocks are blessed and last u a while lol....

O okay i c thanks

Last edited by EG-SIXV-TEC; 09-19-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i am running omni power coilovers w/ 10k front 8k rear. the rates will depend on how you drive the car. the higher the "k" the stiffer the spring
Old 09-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slammed em1
the only reason people really get the gc/koni yellow are for track and autox use....if he aint using it for track and more for looks and comfort...i would do dropzone coilovers with kyb agx shocks.....
No, I didn't track my car, but I liked how the Konis and Ground Controls rode. They're sporty feeling and gave the ride and handling I was after, but I wasn't sure exactly how much drop I wanted, thus I got adjustable coilovers. People said they worked well together, so I spent the extra money, and I'm happy with them.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, there is a difference. The Koni specific Ground Controls fit straight onto the Koni shocks without using the lower shock mounts. The sleeve is machined to fit right onto the shock. The regular ones will still fit the Koni shocks, you just have to use the lower spring mounts that come with the shocks. They fit and work right, they just aren't as clean looking. If you had the time, you could trim the lower mounts though...
Old 09-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: Buying Ground Control Coilovers?

Yes, there is a difference. The Koni specific Ground Controls fit straight onto the Koni shocks without using the lower shock mounts. The sleeve is machined to fit right onto the shock. The regular ones will still fit the Koni shocks, you just have to use the lower spring mounts that come with the shocks. They fit and work right, they just aren't as clean looking. If you had the time, you could trim the lower mounts though...

But can the Koni Specific ones GC coil-overs fit on stock shocks?
Old 09-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, I didn't track my car, but I liked how the Konis and Ground Controls rode. They're sporty feeling and gave the ride and handling I was after, but I wasn't sure exactly how much drop I wanted, thus I got adjustable coilovers. People said they worked well together, so I spent the extra money, and I'm happy with them.
thats the majority choice...if this setup is stiff and doesnt jump alot....then get it by all means...me to be honest if he looking for a nice drop and it doesnt jump.....just get some decent coilovers and good shocks and you would be str8.....if he wants gc, then by all means get it...its his choice at the end of the day...
Old 09-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

But can the Koni Specific ones GC coil-overs fit on stock shocks?
I don't know, I haven't even seen them in real life, only pictures.