Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

buying 99 civic coupe soon

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying 99 civic coupe soon

what's up fellas. i need ur advice and suggestion on the above car. here is my situation, i currently have an accord but i'll be giving it to my bro in september for school, which leaves me without a vehicle. i've already settled and decided on the 99 civic coupe. i want to go for the si but living in philly and commuting to princeton to work will be too much of a hassle to deal with shifting gears. so, i was thinking my only option is to get an ex auto, which comes with 127 hp. i will need more than that for highway driving and passing lane. i've scanned through the faq pages on different swaps for civic. however, how reliable r the swaps for the long haul of the car given my driving style will be daily commuter? i am looking for hp in the range of 150-170 stock hp, since my only experience is driving my v6 accord with 170hp. what do u civic people think? suggestions and advice please? i expect to make this purchase in august or september, black or blue color only, under 100k miles, 1 or 2 owner only with all maintenance receipts kept in file. thanx for ur help, in the mean time i'll be in deep thought on hot chix at my new job.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: buying 99 civic coupe soon (govtec)

do an ls swap it will be under the horsepower you want but plenty of power and it is a pretty inexpensive swap to do very reliable
Old 05-27-2005, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying 99 civic coupe soon (vtechphone)

to go through all the hassle and time for just an increase in 13hp would not be worth it in my opinion vtechphone. i'd prefer 150hp and up if i am going to spend a couple thousand buck on this. if only they offered the si in auto. btw i am taking a verbal beating from family members (mother, father, sister and even my loud mouth grandmother) by going with a used car, they'd prefer me to buy a new one since i am graduating and starting a new job. please respond and make this worthwhile. thanx
Old 05-27-2005, 08:18 PM

why did you settle on a civic coupe if it doesnt have the one thing you seem to be most concerned about...anything with an auto tranny that will satisfy your need for power that you can reliably swap is going to not be worth it

pick a different car that makes more sense for you
Old 05-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying 99 civic coupe soon (Prod)

the reason why i am going with the 99 is i like the back end of the car and that was the only year that back end was made in in any honda or acura. i understand ur point of picking another car that would satisfy my hp needs but i luv the pimpin look of the all red and white tail light in the 99.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:17 PM
SCAM ARTIST

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by govtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the reason why i am going with the 99 is i like the back end of the car and that was the only year that back end was made in in any honda or acura. i understand ur point of picking another car that would satisfy my hp needs but i luv the pimpin look of the all red and white tail light in the 99. </TD></TR></TABLE>

99 and 2000 coupe models are exactly the same. the tail lights you like so much are interchangable with the 96-98 coupe's as well
Old 05-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Be a Jackass = Get banned.

Default Re: buying 99 civic coupe soon (EV1L SI)

just get the si...trust me, its worth it...
Old 05-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Sushi Buffet Champion

You are gonna be pissed if you get an automatic. That 1.6L is torqueless as it is, let alone a lag acceleration tranny with long *** gears.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying 99 civic coupe soon (SIguy626)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIguy626 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just get the si...trust me, its worth it...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-28-2005, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have had a 97 ex auto and i now have a 2000 si. its a no brainer. get the si. the tranny is way better even if you have to shift it manually. the auto sucks, its ALWAYS in third or fourht. if you wanna pass someone you literally have to floor it. and its still slow after that. get the si. all the motors that you could swap in there, all the good motors come stick anyways. gsr wasnt made in an auto i dont think.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He wants an AUTOMATIC...and SI's only comes in 5speed...unless u get the JDM b16 auto tranny. But if you really want a Coupe that already comes with power...just go with the SI...no hassel of swapping and finding parts even if it means shifting gears. If you're lazy...during first gear...drive til u hit 35 mph and shift straight to 4th...LOL.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sluggishEG)

how many of u live in the 5th largest metropolitan area? i don't think many of u have faced 8am rush hour traffic in bumper to bumper situation. i use to own a 96 gsr 2 years ago and had to get rid of it within 3 months because of constant shifting between gears traveling only 15 miles, it would take me 1 hour in 8 am traffic and the thought of me traveling 50 miles from philly to princeton would be painful. many of u think i am lazy for not shifting on my own. now i wouldn't mine being stuck in traffic every once in a while but for me to have to go through this 5 days a week, it's just awful. i know how fun it is to have control over an auto. i only wish i could have access to bmw smg technology. thanx for ur comments. i'll continue to look into si as an option.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

crap then just buy a sucky ex if the shifting is so important. sounds like you wont be able to take advantage of the extra power anyways. just keep that sucky ex stock, dont bother swapping anything because any motor that would be better than the d series is gonna have a stick tranny to go with it. buy the ex and enjoy your boring car.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (govtec)

You want a quick car...then buy an SI

You don't want a stick, buy the underpowered automagic EX...not really much more to it.

Oh, and you don't wanna stick because of traffic?? Driving a stick in traffic isn't bad enough to make me pick a 127hp over a 160hp one.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:42 PM

EM1's are great pimp mobiles lower it 5% tint on some sweet *** wheels and your straight then again theres is an endless list of mods that are possible with civics i'd get a red or black one and take the Si emblems off then people will think its a EX coupe kind alike a sleeper
Old 05-28-2005, 09:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by govtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to go through all the hassle and time for just an increase in 13hp would not be worth it in my opinion vtechphone. i'd prefer 150hp and up if i am going to spend a couple thousand buck on this. if only they offered the si in auto. btw i am taking a verbal beating from family members (mother, father, sister and even my loud mouth grandmother) by going with a used car, they'd prefer me to buy a new one since i am graduating and starting a new job. please respond and make this worthwhile. thanx</TD></TR></TABLE>
well by all means it is not much of a hp increase but you will have a larger increase in the amount of torque. i used to have a single cam vtec 1.6 it was a turd. slow as hell and my friend had a ls integra with the same bs mods that i had and walked all over me and his car was even heavier than what i was driving at the time. you would be switching from a d series to a b series ......HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!!!! and there is always room to go lsvtec if you arent happy with power too
Old 05-30-2005, 11:30 AM

supercharge it.

but if i were u, i'd get the Si.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:44 AM

umm i live in Los Angeles and i take the 101 freeway everyday in bumper to bumper traffic. manual doesn't bother me at all. Thats just a lame excuse.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NerveAgent)

what should i look for in the used si? r spoiler standard on all si? i will only be buying black or blue color with receipts of all repairs and bone stock with 1 or 2 previous owners.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:34 PM

i know what u mean about the lights on the ek's.. thats the reason i just bought an si over the gsr... if you really want an automatic with some power, you could go for the last generation prelude.. that had similar tail lights. and i believe you can get it in that manumatic tranny. auto when u want, and manual when u want. hope this helps, or gives u some ideas. supercharging the ex motor doesnt sound like a bad idea either.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ill3galdr1v3r)

I hate to say it man but your a *****, buy a nissan maxima.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chads)

99 - 00 si with every security device known ^_^
Old 05-31-2005, 02:17 AM

Dude why are you even looking at hondas. if you want an "easy" car to drive get a auto Geo Metro..... the best thing for you right now J/K. IMO get the EX. that way there is mor SI for the rest of us
Old 05-31-2005, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KekahaB18)

i am not a puss, you wuss and no way in hell am i getting the nissan minima. it's clear by all response that many of u are biased towards the si. i am trying to evaluate for what best fits my needs and not want. anybody live in jersey? how is the theft rate around princeton, lawrenceville and trenton nj?
Old 06-01-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think i've made up my mind. i am going with the ex auto. sorry for u si lovers, but i have more choices to choose from in ex market and the price aren't as stiff. how much can i expect in terms of hp gain with the regular i/h/e? also, how much gain from bolt on turbo or supercharger, whichever one that doesn't requires me to reset my engine. my goal is to get the auto tranny up to around 150-170hp range without messing around with the engine. thanx, please help soon to be new civic owner.

Quick Reply: buying 99 civic coupe soon