Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Burning oil and leaking tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning oil and leaking tranny

So I just noticed a few days ago that my oil light had flickered on maybe two times so I decided to check my oil level. Come to find out I am 2 quarts low. Filled it up and drove it like that a few more days until I did a full oil change as it was time for one anyways. When I was changing my oil I didnt see any kind of oil leaks except for my tranny leaking. There was a decent amount a tranny fluid leaking and since then I have paid more atention and noticed my car shifting a little harder than say a month or two ago(5 speed btw). More information is that around I had my head changed 3000 miles ago and didnt notice any kind of leaking or burning oil before hand. So two things 1. what could be causing me to burn oil and 2. what could be causing me to be leaking tranny fluid. I searched and found that its probably worn rings causing the burning oil and Im not for sure if they got changed when I replaced my head or not(didnt do the headwork myself). And also didn't find a whole lot out about the transmission.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Burning oil and leaking tranny

sounds like you need new pistons rings or.........put a breather filter on the valve cover and cap the tube on the air inake pipe...so oil stops going back into your motor....
your tranny. see if the drain plug is tight. see if you have cracks in it. you need to find where the leak is.
leaky trans and buring oil is 2 dif problems gl
Old 02-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As for the first part I dont understand what you mean by breather filter and all that. I figured i would need new piston rings if there arent new ones on there. Ill find out later if they did get replaced or not, but in the meantime I was hoping that there were other explanations or reasons why. And I do realize they are two different problems, I just noticed them at the same time. Ill be off tommorow so I will try to actually look for the leak as well as the drain plug. Im not very mechanically inclined would someone happen to have a diagram of where the tranny drain plug would be at exactally? I like to be extra prepared before I do something to my car.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

to find out if your pistons rings dont like you is do compression test.
2nd the tube dealy from the valve cover to the intake tube...from the factory is a dumb idea. they do it to be smog efffecient. no oil vapor in the air at the expense over time oil in the tb, intake manifold and head...
cap it off on the intake tube and put a filter on the nipple on the valve cover.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill attempt to do a comp test. But Im at work and I dont think I have that particular tube? I have the d16z6. Ill check in a bit when I go on lunch and snap a few pics.
Edit: My bad i found the hose. Its pretty obvious but all the pics on google I was finding wasnt my motor. And what would plugging this up accomplish? And what are the risks of just replacing my rings?

Last edited by junk95civ; 02-26-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone else have any idea what rick why rick was trying to get me to plug up that port? It sounds kinda gansta and i dont know what it would accomplish nor how it would stop a seal from leaking.