Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion
View Poll Results: Which motor would you choose?
Stay d-series w/ boost and build motor
37.50%
k24/k20 swap
62.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Built d-series with BOOST or K24/K20 all motor? Help me decide! =)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built d-series with BOOST or K24/K20 all motor? Help me decide! =)

Ok, so Im trying to decide what to do. I have a 99 civic ex(d16y8) with a turbo kit from Speed Factory and the whole 9-yards...only downfall is it was 100% stock internal with ARP head studs. Well, I slung a rod(stock rods are straight up tiny pieces of junk!) the day before Christmas and now I am trying to decide if I want to stay with the d-series and build the motor this time or go with a allmotor k-series. If I go k, I have found a nice complete k20 swap with tranny and a k24a4 longblock with harness. I was thinking about taking the k20 head and throwing it on the k24 block then slowly piece together a turbo kit for it. I have seen quite a few stock turbo k's running 500+whp daily and all Im really looking for is about 450ish whp and I will be happy.

What engine would you go with if you had the choice? Also looking to hear from people who have the k-series and how they like it! If you had it to do all over again, would you? Or should I just keep everything I have for the d-series and just build a damn block and throw it back together? Decisions...DECISIONS!?!?!?!

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Built d-series with BOOST or K24/K20 all motor? Help me decide! =)

built d series with boost.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This isn't really a technical question.

This shouldn't even be a question.

If I had the option I'd go k20 hands down. If you plan on keeping your car for a while then you can't beat the reliability from a newer engine.

Start out with your frankenstein build and go from there. In my opinion, there's hardly any reason to boost a k20. With good cams and some solid bolt ons you can make 250whp+. More than enough for the street.

If you're seriously looking for a 450whp turbo build, d-series is out of the question. You need to boost a bigger displacement motor. H22, b-series or a k-series.

Originally Posted by 8YourV8
built d series with boost.
He's looking for 400whp. It would be downright silly to do that on a d-series when you could do it so much more easily on a b18b or b18c
Old 01-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

SAVE THE SINGLES!!!! go d i mean if something breaks for the k i mean thats a lot more money then if something d series breaks..
Old 01-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by low&slowef
SAVE THE SINGLES!!!! go d i mean if something breaks for the k i mean thats a lot more money then if something d series breaks..
You do realize than 450whp is an extremely high goal. Using a b-series would be equally cheap to repair and a much better platform in which the OP can much more easily make his power goals.

Everyone is just seeing "D-series or K-series?"

I can't believe how many people are clamoring to the d-series like it's the diamond in the rough.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:43 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I hate these polls but if I could swap from my stock boosted D to a K and somehow retain my A/C I would do it. K parts seem to be popping up all over the place on the cheap down here.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol that's an odd poll....two completely different ends of the spectrum.

D...keep the stock motor you have...good for a budget build with decent results if boosted. Requires minimal knowledge compared to other options

K...get rid of everything in your engine bay...learn how to custom fab or spend lots of money on aftermarket parts to make it fit...learn how to work on transmissions quickly as yours will shortly fail.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol yea but if you can do/live with all that a K will be more then plenty fun.

if have the time and money go K.
if you just want 450whp. go b18c5 turbo.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL...ok so I may need to clear things up a little. Im at work and trying to keep things short. I have found a really great deal on the k-series stuff and also on a built d16z6 block. So pretty much either way I go its going to be about the same price out of my wallet because if I go k then Im selling all of my d-series turbo stuff.

If I built a d16z6 block(eagle, vitaras, etc...) then I should be about to hit somewhere in the area of 400whp and that would be fine with me. If I went with the k24/k20 swap then it would be all motor for the first year or so while I slowly piece together a turbo kit for it. Something else I have been thinking about is whether or not I even would go the boost route with the k swap. I might just throw some high compression pistons in the k24 block and some nice cams in the k20 head and go the all motor route.

I appreciate all of your posts! Keep the coming! I will be making my decision in the next week or so. Your opinion counts!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not really sure why ek forever guy is saying that the D is out of the question for 450 whp...

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/600-whp-vitaras-stock-sleeved-d16-2607817/

^^^ They went WELL above 450 on a D.

I'm planning on swapping a D15B into my 97 Integra (with boost) when it warms back up (end of March, early April) and then going on to build my Z6 for even more boost around the end of summer.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the options were a Turbo D vs. All motor B, winner would be D series. However, this is a K here.

K20 head, lumpy cams, and a K24 with high cp pistons... You'll love it.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by nothing_shocking
I'm not really sure why ek forever guy is saying that the D is out of the question for 450 whp...
I'm not saying it isn't possible. I'm just saying that it is cheaper to do it on a more capable engine. It doesn't make sense to make 450whp for $7,000 when you can do it for $4,500 with a different motor.

just hypothetical numbers.

If you read down that post more you'll see that engine actually broke a piston later on.

You really think 600whp on a stock sleeved d16 would last? 450whp won't either. It's going to go at some point. Sure it might last 6-12 months but I doubt that is what you would consider reliable. It also had a LOT of head work. Zex cam, port work, etc.

That kind of horsepower isn't coming out of a stock d16, it had aftermarket pistons and a valvetrain for sure.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
This isn't really a technical question.

This shouldn't even be a question.
my first though.

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
I can't believe how many people are clamoring to the d-series like it's the diamond in the rough.
i can't believe how many people fail to realize what kind of step the op will be making from turbo d to k series. both technically and financially. and if he has already failed at turboing a simple single cam?? ...well his future in the k world looks quite bleak.

Originally Posted by blowededup
If the options were a Turbo D vs. All motor B, winner would be D series. However, this is a K here.

K20 head, lumpy cams, and a K24 with high cp pistons... You'll love it.
true. op, if you got the cash.. jump on it.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nothing_shocking

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2607817

^^^ They went WELL above 450 on a D.

I'm planning on swapping a D15B into my 97 Integra (with boost) when it warms back up (end of March, early April) and then going on to build my Z6 for even more boost around the end of summer.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to keep a b in the teg? If you have the axles, tranny, engine mounts...it'd be around the same price for you as putting the d15 in it right?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TwoFaced
Wouldn't it be cheaper to keep a b in the teg? If you have the axles, tranny, engine mounts...it'd be around the same price for you as putting the d15 in it right?
people do strange things man.. i just try not to look them in the eye and keep on movin'
Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TwoFaced
I have a 92 civic si that I put a D15B in (xmas gift from grandpa) so I already have everything for the swap. The B is getting a rebuild (needs piston rings) and is going in the hatch.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im just posting because i have less than 500 posts and want to be cool and voice out my opinion. without any proof or logic what so ever. so just go k-series since everybody else is going k-series , d-series are a waste of time and money building that why you should spend $5-8,000 on a N/A k-series sounds like a good idea right? JDM JDM JDM
Old 01-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic
my first though.

i can't believe how many people fail to realize what kind of step the op will be making from turbo d to k series. both technically and financially. and if he has already failed at turboing a simple single cam?? ...well his future in the k world looks quite bleak.

true. op, if you got the cash.. jump on it.
This is not my first turbod car. Its my first d-series, but definitely not my first rodeo. I think I wasted my time messing with the d-series to be honest. If I woulda just invested in a b or k-series from the beginning then I wouldnt have had rod failure at such low power. I knew from the start that the d-series rods were the weak point. Oh well, you live and you learn. I was just wanting to have a little fun outta this thing before I either built a d-series block or swapped over to another platform all together.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joe111599
This is not my first turbod car. Its my first d-series, but definitely not my first rodeo. I think I wasted my time messing with the d-series to be honest. If I woulda just invested in a b or k-series from the beginning then I wouldnt have had rod failure at such low power. I knew from the start that the d-series rods were the weak point. Oh well, you live and you learn. I was just wanting to have a little fun outta this thing before I either built a d-series block or swapped over to another platform all together.
ahh. yeah it is disappointing. same with most people's all motor b series builds.

cost is just not worth the final output.

you won't regret going k series. that's for sure.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Not at all.

I'm personally saving up for an h2b swap. By the time I save up for it it could very well end up being a k swap.

Who knows what is going to happen in a year or two.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have the money to go k series DO IT! But realize before you start everything is more expensive from parts to tuning..
Old 01-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ahh. yeah it is disappointing. same with most people's all motor b series builds.

cost is just not worth the final output.

So true! lol. I guess I am just going to go all motor k or boosted b. Still trying to come up with the best plan. But I am definitely done with the d-series bs.

Thanks fellas!
Old 01-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, lets look at this logically, keeping the d will save you a ton of headaches, and money. you can keep your mounts, turbo kit, axles, wire harness, etc.

you'll need to buy all that stuff for a k swap. i stopped looking at a kswap when i realized how much work it is.

check out d-series.org some of the guys there have 450 hp dd cars, and they are reliable. i'm not even a fan of d's and i have mad respect for these guys.

turbo d > n/a k (unless its already in a car, like an rsx or new civic)
Old 01-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I too agree with mitch maker. you can get your block built and a decent turbo kit for less than it would take for everything for the k. even if you went all motor b it would be expensive and built turbo d's would own you. my sugestion to you is do a parts list and see where your finances are. I also agree to make 450whp on a d is not gonna be on the stock valvetrain and you'll need a good size turbo. whatever you decide to do, good luck. i would say go with the d. but thats me being cheap.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ks are sick as ****... But they do cost alot...

450hp D would be good for mid to low 11s on the street.... A bolt on K20 is only good for low 13s high 12s unless you start gutting your car...

If money isnt an issue I would go with the 450hp D series... Cuz when you dog a k20 on the street. Their gonna think your lying when you tell them its a single cam.. lol

Quick Reply: Built d-series with BOOST or K24/K20 all motor? Help me decide! =)