Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Building your Dream Car 101

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Building your Dream Car 101

Very good read!! I wish I would have applied this to my first civic .. I did some idiotic stuff to it !!!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Some good stuff in here. Success is 90% planning and it seems like people forget that a lot.

Maybe its just habits from work or something but Ive always found it nice to just make a place to capture all of the my notes, PNs and part prices. There's a lot of info on the Internet and organizing it makes it a lot easier to make sure you dont forget something stupid. Voila my engine swap Excel sheet:

Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish i would have read this before i did my first build. It would have saved me a ton of money and time. I will definetly go by this for my current project.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good stuff. I glad I seen it cuz I'm starting to do a build now.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice write up

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 01-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Trial User

reading this has made me realize how much money I've spent on unnecessary crap -_-
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 AM
Trial User

Thanks Artik, the DarkTune crew and Honda-tech for putting this up. It's my first time using this Honda-tech forum and you provided me a good stating point.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Need that binder now!!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did something like this on my first restoration project, and it helped a whole helluva lot, I need to keep it in mind for this next build I'm getting into. Great post.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

One thing I might suggest is to use Google Drive for your Word docs and Excel spreadsheets. That way if your computer ever grows legs and walks or has a fatal hard drive crash, your research doesn't go with it. Also, I like the convenience of being able to access it from anywhere with the Internet without the requirement of being in front of my own home computer.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish I had this info a few years ago and i would have saved alot of money...
Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Thanks for the write up! My signature definitely says what I think about alarms, but other than that I will definitely try your approach. In fact, the binder idea is a great idea to begin with for service records, even if you don't want to lift your ride above stock status. Great ideas.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Trial User

this is a great post !!! too bad i was impatient myself :/
but im def. looking forward to the little projects on the engine.
just wish i had a better understanding of electrical problems and torque pressure
Old 05-05-2013, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Excellent idea.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:49 AM
Master Ninja

Keeping record of everything is key to modding a car. If you ever sale it the person buying knows what has been done and is more comfortable with the purchase.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bump for the noobs
Old 05-26-2013, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

very helpful thread, ill deff refer it
Old 06-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you just gave me a good idea! I was trying to do a chart on word but how could I forget to do it on excel? its way easier! thanks!

Originally Posted by Mr. Dabolina
Some good stuff in here. Success is 90% planning and it seems like people forget that a lot.

Maybe its just habits from work or something but Ive always found it nice to just make a place to capture all of the my notes, PNs and part prices. There's a lot of info on the Internet and organizing it makes it a lot easier to make sure you dont forget something stupid. Voila my engine swap Excel sheet:

Last edited by deschlong; 06-06-2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Pic removed
Old 06-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by ray_saul
you just gave me a good idea! I was trying to do a chart on word but how could I forget to do it on excel? its way easier! thanks!
Google Docs, man. Never worry about losing it due to hard drive failure or stolen computer/laptop.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

another good idea! thanks!

Originally Posted by deschlong
Google Docs, man. Never worry about losing it due to hard drive failure or stolen computer/laptop.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been using a binder/file for all of my cars modded or not, it lets you keep track of expenses and when you did repairs. Great info!
Old 06-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, this is great.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i hope i dont get banned for posting this here:

there is two questions i want to ask but not sure where to. reason im posting this here is because of the original post and how it inspired me and the fact that hondatech just opened new ventures for me as a civic owner.

i own a honda civic( ballade south african version) 180e which come with a b18b3 but i have fitted a b20b. future plans is a b16b and alot of people will wonder why i just feel that setup match our eg sedan well. ok to get to the point is there anybody that can help plan my build or have guidlines to how i can put this build down on paper before starting. the project will not be one where my car is standing its not a daily driver but use it over weekends. what i want out of this car is to be able to take it on the track once or twice a year. weekend car but want to build it with all good parts for my car. all i know is i want to paint when im done with the build. so again where do i start with my build. i can tick all the blocks that was discussed in topic like have an alarm. car function well it can stop maintained very well but before i start with the build i want it on paper from start to finish. so please feel free to give your input

ok, 2ndly i have this urge of working on my own car. i had this for a while coming now and think i got this from my dad as he was a fitter and turner so always wanted to work with my hands but i currently work in a bank. i can do most of the work on my car like service it, change suspension never removed an engine though. ive been reading a haynes manual on honda civic which help but its on dseries. it does help alot as i have a dseries engine in the garage which head i have stripped but dont have the proper tools to remove the vavles. what is a good way to start working on cars learning the technical side of things mostly civic eg as i dont see myself driving another car.

i want to thank the people of this forum for all info shared
Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crazy G
i hope i dont get banned for posting this here:

there is two questions i want to ask but not sure where to. reason im posting this here is because of the original post and how it inspired me and the fact that hondatech just opened new ventures for me as a civic owner.

i own a honda civic( ballade south african version) 180e which come with a b18b3 but i have fitted a b20b. future plans is a b16b and alot of people will wonder why i just feel that setup match our eg sedan well. ok to get to the point is there anybody that can help plan my build or have guidlines to how i can put this build down on paper before starting. the project will not be one where my car is standing its not a daily driver but use it over weekends. what i want out of this car is to be able to take it on the track once or twice a year. weekend car but want to build it with all good parts for my car. all i know is i want to paint when im done with the build. so again where do i start with my build. i can tick all the blocks that was discussed in topic like have an alarm. car function well it can stop maintained very well but before i start with the build i want it on paper from start to finish. so please feel free to give your input

ok, 2ndly i have this urge of working on my own car. i had this for a while coming now and think i got this from my dad as he was a fitter and turner so always wanted to work with my hands but i currently work in a bank. i can do most of the work on my car like service it, change suspension never removed an engine though. ive been reading a haynes manual on honda civic which help but its on dseries. it does help alot as i have a dseries engine in the garage which head i have stripped but dont have the proper tools to remove the vavles. what is a good way to start working on cars learning the technical side of things mostly civic eg as i dont see myself driving another car.

i want to thank the people of this forum for all info shared
I'd say it depends where it's at right now, interior, exterior, suspension, engine. There's more that you should mention about it. From my understanding it's like a 92-95 USDM Civic. I would definitely recommend you make a build thread in the 92-00 section and have people's total input. Don't be too tenacious with it though, you can get some bad vibes from it. I'm willing to help you out with what I can.

The best way to learn about a car, is to have the struggle. That's what I think. The pain from trying to solve a problem embeds itself deeper into your mind and experience. Just do a lot more research and if there's any little problem in your car, anything to the slightest, take your time and repair it (not half ***)
Old 07-22-2013, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CO671
I'd say it depends where it's at right now, interior, exterior, suspension, engine. There's more that you should mention about it. From my understanding it's like a 92-95 USDM Civic. I would definitely recommend you make a build thread in the 92-00 section and have people's total input. Don't be too tenacious with it though, you can get some bad vibes from it. I'm willing to help you out with what I can.

The best way to learn about a car, is to have the struggle. That's what I think. The pain from trying to solve a problem embeds itself deeper into your mind and experience. Just do a lot more research and if there's any little problem in your car, anything to the slightest, take your time and repair it (not half ***)
ok thanks for the response...i think il start my build thread and take it from there. then maybe you can have an understanding where i am and where i am heading. i just want to know where my focus need to be and my budget as i know tgis build might take years. i just want a good honda civic with function.

Quick Reply: Building your Dream Car 101