Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Building the Ultimate EK Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Now with ultra-violence!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building the Ultimate EK Hatch

I read the article on the Hasport EK K20 Turbo and it seemed like a really interesting idea. How's the handling of an EK affected by the swap? I'm thinking of selling my Integra and saving up for a EK hatch, K20A2 swap and a nice turbo setup. It seems like the thing would really fly. Would $20k be a reasonable budget to accomplish this project with? It seems like it would be a kick-in-the-*** to drive .
Old 03-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Building the Ultimate EK Hatch (Shin-tegra)

why not swap it into your current chassis? weight is not an issue on either platform with a K-series.

motor is about $5k for DC5R/ mounts, swap and misc items $2500 , turbo setup all depends on what you want but $4k is more then enough for something nice and clean. personally I would keep it NA if you're going K-series.

otherwise just build a b-series for turbo and you will not be disapointed.

http://aj-racing.com/AJR%20K20A%20DC2R.php
Old 03-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Now with ultra-violence!

Default Hmm...

Ek Hatch = Lighter than my DC2

My I don't think it would be worth it to do the swap on my RS. The chassis isn't nearly as stiff as the the ITR's and has no ABS which sucks . Why keep the K20A2 N/A? I think boost would make it a little more unique then every other K20 hatch out there. Would I lose A/C and Power Steering?
Old 03-02-2005, 02:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Hmm... (Shin-tegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shin-tegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would I lose A/C and Power Steering?</TD></TR></TABLE>

In your teg......no
In the hatch.......yes
Old 03-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building the Ultimate EK Hatch (eg6ajk)

my friend has an ek hatch with a NA k20 swap and it. handling is not affected to much with the swap, but he does have a nice set of coilovers to compensate. the only downfall to this swap is that the oil pan does hang down pretty low to the ground, so just be careful if you planning on slamming it. 20k is more than enough to purchase an ek hatch plus the motor and all the custom accessories. the excess $ should probably go to upgrading the brake system and suspension

Old 03-02-2005, 02:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Building the Ultimate EK Hatch (cre18)

The K20 is not heavy. It's about the same weight as a b series. That is one of the great things about this swap. While the h series makes close to the same power it is MUCH heavier. So while an h22 will require a much needed suspension and brake upgrade, the k20 won't. Don't get me wrong, better brakes would be a great idea for a k20 swaped car because you will get up to speeds those brakes were never meant to handle, but not as much.

As far as the oil pan, yes it does sit pretty low but if you get the right mounts (not some cheapy no name ones) there will still be a good amount of clearance.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn that thing's clean.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Building the Ultimate EK Hatch (Cruiser G)

The k20 in the hatch is one of the greatest things i've experienced Thats clean!Damn
Old 03-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building the Ultimate EK Hatch (98JRSChatch)

You should just buy the "Ultimate EG"

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1134832

and within your price range!
Old 03-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space...

Default Re: Building the Ultimate EK Hatch (2.0L EK)

It seems like everybody who swaps a K20 has the car up for sale very soon after. I was noticing the same thing about LS/VTECs a year ago...
Old 03-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building the Ultimate EK Hatch (Regal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The K20 is not heavy. It's about the same weight as a b series. That is one of the great things about this swap. While the h series makes close to the same power it is MUCH heavier. So while an h22 will require a much needed suspension and brake upgrade, the k20 won't.</TD></TR></TABLE>

try about 30-40 more pounds than a B series. lose some weight and it might not be that much

Ekizzle foshizzle
Old 03-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Building the Ultimate EK Hatch (Regal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Regal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It seems like everybody who swaps a K20 has the car up for sale very soon after. I was noticing the same thing about LS/VTECs a year ago...</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's because the market is still new enough that they can make profit by doing so. Two years from now when prices for the engines have gone down and the availability of mounting/swapping components is much higher, they won't be able to do so.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I really dont understand the K series swap. Would'nt a B16/B18 swap be WAY eaiser to complete and alot cheaper to make good power? I read about the K20turbo hatch in SCC and it had MAJOR traction issues. I know that slicks would cure that but i still dont get the k20 swap. Dont get me wrong I think its SICK to have a 220 horse k20 in the engine bay.... but a mildly modded b16/18 could make the same power alot eaiser right? Correct me if im wrong.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:52 PM

holy crap is this thing clean.....i love it
Old 03-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Building the Ultimate EK Hatch (TurboTagTeam)

that hatch pictured is hott JDM bumpers y0!

why use that intake.......i'd have run it where it will get more air......still hott tho
Old 03-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboTagTeam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I really dont understand the K series swap. Would'nt a B16/B18 swap be WAY eaiser to complete and alot cheaper to make good power? I read about the K20turbo hatch in SCC and it had MAJOR traction issues. I know that slicks would cure that but i still dont get the k20 swap. Dont get me wrong I think its SICK to have a 220 horse k20 in the engine bay.... but a mildly modded b16/18 could make the same power alot eaiser right? Correct me if im wrong. </TD></TR></TABLE>

not with "mild" modifications. by mild i take it you mean I/H/E and maybe some tuning. that will not get you K20 POWER! i dunno, why not an H22? i think it's preference and the fact that K20 is going to be the new mod machine with as much, if not more, aftermarket support than B series
Old 03-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboTagTeam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I really dont understand the K series swap. Would'nt a B16/B18 swap be WAY eaiser to complete and alot cheaper to make good power? I read about the K20turbo hatch in SCC and it had MAJOR traction issues. I know that slicks would cure that but i still dont get the k20 swap. Dont get me wrong I think its SICK to have a 220 horse k20 in the engine bay.... but a mildly modded b16/18 could make the same power alot eaiser right? Correct me if im wrong. </TD></TR></TABLE>

K series has much much much better torque though, and better response to mods. But really, with the motors being expensive as they are right now, it's done more for the sake of doing it. For the money it takes to swap a K series, you could definitely have a B series that's much more powerful. I'd just go with a JRSC if I wanted torque, but man...I would love to have a K in the car.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hmm... (Shin-tegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shin-tegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The chassis isn't nearly as stiff as the the ITR's and has no ABS which sucks . </TD></TR></TABLE>

ABS is for people who can't drive.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Now with ultra-violence!

Default Re: Hmm... (drip pan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drip pan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ABS is for people who can't drive. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What next, are you gonna say power steering is for weaklings? I think most sports cars including the ITR have ABS for a reason. Come to my back roads and you'll come to greatly appreciate it .

There's something about the EG styling that kills me, it looks like a frog and too outdated IMO. I agree, the K20 is really gonna be the next "mod machine", plus boosting it would make the hatch go insanly fast. Sounds like it could all be done under a $20k budget, screw Evo's who says Civic's can't compare .
Old 03-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Now with ultra-violence!

ttt
Old 03-03-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: (Shin-tegra)

Is this car going to be at the track.............i'm sick of this show car crap. So will it be a Ultimate TRack car or Ultimate Showcar/Moneypit?
Old 03-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the handling would be affected by the positioning in the engine bay right? it looks like the k20 sits up closer to the front of the car where the b series is closer to the firewall. does it just look like this in pics? i have never seen a k20 swap in person. looks like that would cause the grunt of the weight to be over the top of the wheels and not handle as well, but i dont know.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (c_mack9)

because drivers sit on the left side of the car, and normal swaps like B or H series sit on the driver side also, the weight of the car is unbalanced. with the K swap, it somewhat gives it more balance because it sits on the passenger side
Old 03-03-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: (Advan06)

claen *** hatch, k20
Old 03-03-2005, 10:02 PM
X12

I have heard people say that the weight of the k20a would kill handling characteristics. But I believe with fine tuning, anything is possible. I am looking at 3 years down the road to putting a k20a into my hatch once I switch over to track racing so hey, I'll tell you how it goes. Unless someone has experience with it, not drag racing, but HPDE or mountain runs. On a last note, there is nothing wrong with ABS. Once you learn how to break correctly without ABS, ABS = faster track times. Now that is to say you mastered the "braking" technique.

-X12

Quick Reply: Building the Ultimate EK Hatch