Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Broken timing belt, I need help setting timing on Skunk2 cam gears??!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken timing belt, I need help setting timing on Skunk2 cam gears??!?!?

Okay so last week I was just driving along the freeway, and my timing belt snapped. So now I'm about ready to put a new one on but I have a few questions before I do. The motor is a B16 btw.

First, the markers on my cam gears a WAY off so how do I go about getting these to be TDC or at least synchronized?

Second, Once I get the cams gears synchronized, how do I know that I got piston#1 at TDC?

Do I check it at the crank with the pulley on?

My roomate keeps saying some **** about the crank "180'ed out", what does that mean?

Here is a picture of the cam gears so you have an idead of what I'm talking about

I used photoshop to make the marks clearer just so there is no confusion. As you can se they are no where near being syncronized. I have a timing a light too, so I'm sure that will help, but isnt that only to check the timing from the distributor? This is my first broken timing belt problem/swap and so far I think I have a pretty good idea of what to do, I just dont want to mess anything else up. I'm praying to god that I didn't bend valves when it snapped so I would like to do it right.

Any info would help, THANKS!

I also posted this in the tech section, just incase nobody can help here. If this is a problem, mods, feel free to delete the neccessary thread.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Broken timing belt, I need help setting timing on Skunk2 cam gears??!?!? (JDM_Bug)

As far as the crank being at TDC, there is a mark on the oil pump that you must align with a mark on the crank sprocket.

As far as the timing gears are concerned, I am not sure. Good luck to you, as I am thinking about installing adjustable cams and gears.

-Shane
Old 10-11-2006, 01:20 PM

holy crap just go to your local library and borrow a helms manual, all the info is under "how to change your timming belt" section. its really a piece of cake
Old 10-11-2006, 03:18 PM

Default Re: (wakeboard_dude5)

when the cam pulleys are at TDC,with the gears set at 0 and 0,obviously the degree marks are gonna be at 12 o clock. now at 9 o'clock on the exhaust cam gear there will be a little mark and at 3 o clock on the intake cam gear there will also be a mark. assuming you put the cam gears on the camshafts correctly with the woodroof key,the marks at 9 and 3 o clock will be right beside eachother.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken timing belt, I need help setting timing on Skunk2 cam gears??!?!? (JDM_Bug)

u didn't bend any valves when u threw the belt????
Old 10-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Broken timing belt, I need help setting timing on Skunk2 cam gears??!?!? (cueballsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cueballsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u didn't bend any valves when u threw the belt????</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken timing belt, I need help setting timing on Skunk2 cam gears??!?!? (cueballsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egsir2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when the cam pulleys are at TDC,with the gears set at 0 and 0,obviously the degree marks are gonna be at 12 o clock. now at 9 o'clock on the exhaust cam gear there will be a little mark and at 3 o clock on the intake cam gear there will also be a mark. assuming you put the cam gears on the camshafts correctly with the woodroof key,the marks at 9 and 3 o clock will be right beside eachother. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So do both the exhaust and intake came need to be at 0?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cueballsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u didn't bend any valves when u threw the belt????</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm REALLY hoping I didnt, but I guess I'll find out.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn dude i had a my timing belt snap on my b16 and bent one valve so i got skunk 2 high compression valves those white marks that u photo shoped need to be even with one another and the degresee where u mesure the cam timing need to be pointed up and the lines on the gears are not in the same spot on each tooth there a little off i had both of my gears lined up even with one another
Old 10-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken timing belt, I need help setting timing on Skunk2 cam gears??!?!? (baynedo)

if that is how your cam gears were when you snaped your belt i think u better send your head to a machine shop cause if you hit your vavle its a 1 in 10 chance u messed your head up and to be honest those cams are way off alignment
Old 10-11-2006, 05:44 PM

I remember when i did an older integra (not sure of the engine in it) there where holes in the camshafts toward the end almost next to the cam-gears. If you have two little rods in there then that is how you line up the camshafts...again this is just what i did to and 92 integra and i cannot say that is what you do to your b16
Old 10-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken timing belt, I need help setting timing on Skunk2 cam gears??!?!? (baynedo)

I turned the degree marks upward and here is what they looked like:

Now I forgot what they looked like before, but I assume that they were better than where they are now or else ym car would have ran like **** becaue they're off just a little. So what do I need to do to get them perfect? Could this be a sign of bent valves?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not meaning to thread jack...but when it's outta whack like that, how do you turn the cam gears in a way so they can cycle through and not hit the pistons?

(I know that might sound retarded, but I've never seen a DOHC that far off being together). So wouldn't when you spin the cam have to move the crank as well so the pistons don't bend?

Blah.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not meaning to thread jack...but when it's outta whack like that, how do you turn the cam gears in a way so they can cycle through and not hit the pistons?

(I know that might sound retarded, but I've never seen a DOHC that far off being together). So wouldn't when you spin the cam have to move the crank as well so the pistons don't bend?

Blah.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Pistons don't bend when the timing belt breaks. You can move the cams independtly of the crank a fair amount before the valves touch and usually its not enough force to bend the valves just by turning it by hand.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

U could might bend either exhaust or intake valve.. One of my friend recently broke the timing belt while driving.. He took the car to my friend house and work on the car.. They found one of the valve bend.. Good luck to u!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 02:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Bug &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I turned the degree marks upward and here is what they looked like:

Now I forgot what they looked like before, but I assume that they were better than where they are now or else ym car would have ran like **** becaue they're off just a little. So what do I need to do to get them perfect? Could this be a sign of bent valves?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you see the little white marks at 3 o clock on 9 o clcok?? they should line up right beside eachother.from what i can see you need to turn the exhaust cam alittle more to the left,and the intake cam a little more to the right. make sure your crank is set at TDC also,or else your in big trouble. however as said before,there is a good chance one or more of your valves had a close encounter with a piston,so you should really get that checked before attempting to line up those gears and start the car.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken timing belt, I need help setting timing on Skunk2 cam gears??!?!? (egsir2)

So I lined up everything perfect, put the belt on and started that bitch up. She started just fine, I'm so stoked that I didn't bend any valves or anything. I put on a new cap and rotor as well and adjusted the timing she runs GREAT now. Thanks a lot for your help guys!